Due to legislation the University has to charge for removing WEEE waste. If you have any Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) you must complete the WEEE form as detailed below.
Costs associated with the collection and disposal of WEEE items are as follows:
- Small items such as kettles, toasters, desk lamps etc. - £5 per item
- Medium items (TV, microwave, monitor, domestic fridge, washing machine etc.) – £10 to £15 per item depending on the size, weight and hazardous nature of the item
- Large items (commercial fridges, chillers etc.) – £20 to £35 per item depending on the size, weight and hazardous nature of the item
- Other items - priced on application
What to do with your WEEE waste
All IT equipment and peripherals
For any IT equipment including desktop and notebook computers, monitors, keyboards, mice, printers and scanners, please contact IT Services.
Your personal WEEE items
Take any personal WEEE items you want to dispose of to your nearest Council-run recycling centre.
University-owned WEEE items
Complete the WEEE form and we'll take care of the item(s).
We hold the contract for collecting and disposing of WEEE with Aqua Force Recycling Ltd.
Please contact the Waste and Recycling Manager on ext. 50548 for more information.
What is WEEE?
The Government introduced the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive to cut down on the amount of electrical equipment sent to landfill sites. "Electrical and Electronic Equipment" covers a wide range of items, including:
- large and small household appliances - coffee makers, hair straighteners, dryers, chargers etc.
- IT and telecommunication equipment
- consumer equipment such as TVs, videos, hi-fi
- lighting, electrical and electronic tools (except large stationary industrial tools)
- toys, leisure and sports equipment
- automatic dispensers
- medical devices (these are exempt from the WEEE recycling and recovery targets)
- monitoring and control instruments
If you have any questions about electronic waste, please email the Waste and Recycling Team: email@example.com