The University environmental targets are reviewed regularly.
You may also want to take a look at our Environmental Management System policy, as signed by Director of Estates, James Breckon.
- A revised University Environmental Policy to be agreed and published by October 2015
- The proposed format is to be suitable to act as a straight forward communication tool.
Environmental & Sustainability
- The University currently sends 3.2% of its waste to landfill. The University aims to reduce waste to Landfill to 2.9% of ‘total waste’ by end 2017/8.
- The University will aim to improve the Recycling Rate waste diverted to landfill to over 60% by end 2017/18 from its current leveL.
- The University will communicate annually to all University users the University recycling and waste disposal practices;
- The University will Maintain disposal of 100% of waste cooking oil sustainably, for re-use/ conversion into bio-fuel.
- Food Waste strategy approved by the end of December 2017.
- To implement a monitoring system by end of 2016/17 academic year to gain greater knowledge of Construction waste
- Aim to achieve a 2% rolling reduction per FTE in water consumption per annum.
- To complete programme of mapping drains and assessing condition will be complete by July 2017
- Introduce at least one high profile environmentally-friendly transport initiative per annum.
- Aim to Increase the percentage of students/ staff commuting by sustainable modes of transport.
The University will advance along the Sustainable Procurement flexible framework:
- Progress on Flexible Framework towards levels 3 and 4.
Emissions and Discharges:
- Continuous effort to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions.
- Implementing initiatives to reduce the emissions associated with scope 3 activities
- Establish management programme and recruit biodiversity role by end July 2017