The British Council's Alumni Awards celebrate the outstanding achievements of graduates of British universities and showcase the impact and value of a UK higher education. Award winners and finalists are leaders in their fields who have used their experience of studying at a UK university to make a positive contribution to their communities, professions and countries.
Top alumni have been selected from a global total of more than 1,200 applicants, many of whom were nominated by their host UK universities. The Study UK Alumni Awards, created by the British Council in partnership with UK higher education institutions, are intended to recognise outstanding success in Entrepreneurism, Professional Achievement, and Social Impact by people who have studied at UK higher education institutions within the last fifteen years.
This year those 1,200 applications from alumni represented 125 institutions. From these entries the Council has chosen 148 finalists representing 65 UK universities and colleges.
We're pleased to announce that there are nine Warwick finalists from Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Nigeria and Pakistan.
- Sesinam Dagadu, MEng, Ghana, Entrepreneurial Award
- Samuel Chan, MA International Political Economy, Hong Kong, Entrepreneurial Award
- Aardra Chandra Mouli, MSc Management, India, Entrepreneurial Award
- Tahir Musa Luthfi Yazid, LLM Law in Development, Indonesia, Professional Achievement Award
- Herlin Putri Indah Destari, MA Drama and Theatre Education, Indonesia Social Impact Award
- Hamzah Raja, BSc Accounting and Finance, Malaysia, Entrepreneurial Award
- Maria Fernanda Felix de la Luz, MSc Economics, Mexico, Entrepreneurial Award
- Olanrewaju Akinsola, LLM International Economic Law, Nigeria, Professional Achievement Award
- Abia Akram, MA Gender and International Development, Pakistan, Social Impact Award
Legendary shoe designer and UK alumnus Professor Jimmy Choo, OBE, is Global Ambassador of the Alumni Awards. He said:
I’m delighted to support the Alumni Awards 2017 as Global Ambassador. Studying in the UK was an experience that changed my life and contributed to my success today. It is an honour to be supporting today’s recent outstanding UK university alumni by sharing their success stories and positive impact on the world."
Congratulations to all the finalists. Winners will be announced in ceremonies around the world between January and March. We'll keep you posted with updates.