Email: p dot de-Medeiros at warwick dot ac dot uk
Tel: +44 (0)24 7652 4473
Humanities Building, University Road
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
Paulo de Medeiros is Professor of Modern and Contemporary World Literatures, and teaches on the English and Comparative Literary Studies program. He was Associate Professor at Bryant College (USA) and Professor at Utrecht University (Netherlands) before moving to Warwick. In 2011-2012 he was Keeley Fellow at Wadham College, Oxford and in 2013 and 2014 President of the American Portuguese Studies Association. Current projects include a study on Postimperial Europe.
My research interests include World Literatures, Modernism and Postcolonial Studies, and Lusophone Literatures.
Teaching and supervision
PhD supervision welcome in the areas of European modernism, postcolonial studies, world literatures.
- Pessoa's Geometry of the Abyss: Modernity and the Book of Disquiet. Oxford: Legenda, 2013. ISBN: 978-1-909662-07-0
- O Silêncio das sereias (Ensaio sobre o Livro do Desasossego). Lisboa: Tinta da china, 2015. ISBN: 9789896712440
- "Post-imperial Nostalgia and Miguel Gomes’ Tabu", Interventions, 18:2(2016): 203-216, DOI: 10.1080/1369801X.2015.1106963
- Series Editor “Reconfiguring Identities in the Portuguese-Speaking World” (with Cláudia Pazos-Alonso). Oxford: Peter Lang, 2011-
- Journal of Romance Studies 11.3 (2011). Guest co-editor (with Hilary Owen). Special Issue on Psychoanalysis and Portuguese Studies.
- Pessoa Plural: A Journal of Fernando Pessoa Studies (Co-Editor with Onésimo Almeida and Jerónimo Pizarro). 2012-
- "Catastrophe Culture". Hazardous Future: Disaster, Representation and the Assessment of Risk. Eds. Isabel Capeloa Gil and Christoph Wulf. Berlin, Munich, Boston: de Gruyter, 2015. 19-30.
- "Phantom Counterfeits: Credit and Betrayal in a (Post)-Modern Polity". The Cultural Life of Money. Eds. Isabel Capeloa Gil and Helena Gonçalves da Silva. Berlin, Boston: de Gruyter, 2015. 121-130.
- “Blindness, Invisibility, and the Negative Inheritance of World Literature”. Modern Language Quarterly, 74.2 (2013), 277-292.
- “Notes Towards a (More) Cosmopolitan History of European Literature”. European Review 21.2 (2013): 281-291.
- “Literatura e Resistência”. Dedalus: Revista da Associação Portuguesa de Literatura Comparada 16 (2012), 101-119.
- “Consenting to be Wrecked”. Special Issue on Psychoanalysis and Portuguese Studies. Guest editors Paulo de Medeiros and Hilary Owen. Journal of Romance Studies 11.3 (2011): 91-107.
- “A Failure of the Imagination? Questions for a Post-Imperial Europe”. Moving Worlds: A Journal of Transcultural Writings, 11.2 (2011): 91-101.
- “Shifting Borders”. Journal of Romance Studies 11.1 (2011): 98-111.
- Past President of the American Portuguese Studies Association (2015 and 2016); President (2014 and 2013); Vice-President (2012 and 2011)
- International Comparative Literature Association
- BA; MA (Massachusetts at Boston)
- MA; PhD (Massachusetts at Amherst)