Due to the extensive use of the studio spaces in Millburn House (G52, G53 and G55), G56 and the Millburn Edit Suite by staff and students for course work during term time as well as the number of requests for bookings of the Millburn House studios by Theatre students working on projects outside of module work, practical work by our alumni and external groups, the Department of Theatre Studies has approved the following policy on the availability of these spaces.
Term time bookings:
During term time (autumn, spring, and summer), the Millburn Studios (G52, G53 and G55), Edit Suite, and G56 will be available ONLY to the following:
• Theatre Studies and Cultural Policy Studies staff
• Current single and joint honours degree students
• Post-graduate students in Theatre Studies
• Single and joint honours degree alumni
Term dates are available at: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/gov/calendar/termdates.
Bookings for the Millburn Studios (G52, G53 and G55), Edit Suite, and G56 will proceed as follows in order of priority:
• Staff bookings for classes and module-based workshops (scheduled in September or as soon after as possible)
• Assessed practical project presentations and performance exams bookings (scheduled as much as possible in September)
• 3rd year practice-based IRO bookings for three hours per week during term time for each group
• 3rd year practice-based IRO bookings for all spaces for the week before their work-in-progress presentations and the one to two weeks before the IRO Festival (depending on its placement in the year calendar.
• Block bookings grouped around assessment deadlines made by module tutors for rehearsals and other module-related work by students enrolled in the module
• Additional student bookings for module-related work and practice-as-research
G53 and G55 may not be booked during term time for rehearsals or productions for Societies or any other non-module related work.
Bookings for G52 and G56 will be possible for projects outside of module work by single and joint honours students in Theatre and Performance Studies during term time in the following weeks:
• Weeks 1-6 in autumn term
• Weeks 1-5 in spring term
• Weeks 5-10 in summer term
The possible projects include, but are not limited to:
• Projects outside module work by staff and/or current single and joint honours degree students (i.e. workshops, lectures, play readings, rehearsals, practice-as-research, devised work for festivals, etc.)
• Projects (rehearsal and/or performance) led by single and joint honours degree alumni
N.B. G52 and G56 must be returned to their original configurations so they are ready for teaching the next day. Students not following these guidelines will have booking privileges for outside projects revoked. It is necessary to build as much flexibility as possible into the scheduling system, so advance block bookings (more than two weeks) of non-module-related work are discouraged. Module-based block bookings of over eight hours in a one-week period must be approved by the Director of the Practice. Requests must be made in writing giving a rationale for the request and dates, times, size of audience/participants, and space requested.
Outside term time bookings:
External groups, university groups and societies, former students, and single and joint honours degree students in Theatre Studies currently enrolled (but working on a project not connected with a Theatre Studies module) may book the studios in Millburn House outside of term time. Theatre Studies and Cultural Policy Studies staff and current Theatre Studies students will have priority in any bookings outside of term time if a conflict arises. The studios must be booked through the department (Kate Brennan) in advance. Any external group that does not follow the Studio Use Guidelines will have booking privileges revoked.
A deposit of £50 is required for ALL bookings outside of term time. This deposit will be returned within a week of the end of the booking IF the studio space is left clean and undamaged.
External groups will be charged a daily rate for the use of the studios as follows:
• With required technical support £125 for a four-hour session or £250 for an eight-hour session Payments will be made though the departmental administrator (Sarah Shute) to the departmental account. The technician will then be paid through university payroll.
No bookings of the studio spaces are possible the week before the beginning of Autumn, Spring and Summer terms.
The link to the Calendar is: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/theatre_s/calendar/. Each room can be viewed individually by clicking the link at the top of the page. All bookings are made through the departmental secretary (Kate Brennan).
It is the responsibility of the individual or group using any of these spaces either during term time for class-based projects or out of term time to leave the space clean and tidy. There will be a broom and dustpan available in each space for floors to be swept if necessary. All furniture must be returned to original positions. All equipment MUST be left as it was found, ready for use by the next group and no leads shall be re-routed or removed without prior permission. Leaving the space a mess or the equipment not ready to use can result in loss of booking privileges.
Access to the studio lighting grids is strictly prohibited. The use of lighting and sound equipment is also prohibited unless previously agreed to by the departmental technician.
If you have booked a space and no longer need it, be sure to unbook it so that it is available to someone else. Booking and not using a studio space can also result in loss of booking privileges.