As IATL's Director of Graduate Studies, Jonathan is developing a suite of interdisciplinary modules at postgraduate level, including the Medical Mind in Literature and Culture and Experimental Ecologies in Practice.
Previously, he was Research Associate in the CAPITAL Centre (with the Royal Shakespeare Company) where he won the 2010 Butterworth Award for Teaching Excellence. Externally, he co-founded the Samuel Beckett Laboratory (Trinity College Dublin) and co-convened the Performance as Research Working Group of the International Federation for Theatre Research (2013-16). He established the Student Ensemble in 2009 and Fail Better Productions in 2001.
He is a core member of the AHRC-funded research project Modernism, Medicine and the Embodied Mind and regularly publishes on the relationship between art, science and pedagogy:
- Heron, Jonathan and Broome, Matthew ‘There’s the record, closed and final: Rough for Theatre II as Psychiatric Encounter', in Journal of Medical Humanities, Springer (USA), 2016
- Heron, Jonathan et al. ‘Beckett on the Wards’: medical humanities pedagogy and ‘compassionate care’, Medical Humanities, British Medical Journals, 2015
- Heron, Jonathan ‘Shakespearean Laboratories and Performance-as-Research’, in Shakespeare on the University Stage, ed. Andrew Hartley, Cambridge University Press, 2015
- Heron, Jonathan; Johnson, Nicholas; Dinçel, Burç Îdem; Quinn, Gavin; Scaife, Sarah Jane; et al. 'The Samuel Beckett Laboratory 2013' Journal of Beckett Studies 23.1 (2014 Apr): 73-95.
- Barry, Elizabeth, Broome, Matthew, and Heron, Jonathan ‘Not I: Beckett and Psychiatry – Psychiatry in Literature’, British Journal of Psychiatry 204: 239, 2014
- Chillington-Rutter, Carol; Monk, Nicholas; Neelands, Jonothan; and Heron, Jonathan Open-space Learning: A Study in Trans-disciplinary Pedagogy. London: Bloomsbury Academic, 2011
- Farrer, Nicola J; Heron, Jonathan; Monk, Nicholas; Lough, Julie Ann; and Sadler, P. J. ‘Chemistry, Performance and Pedagogy’, Chemistry Education 11.4, 308-313, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2010.
Jonathan dot Heron at warwick dot ac dot uk
024 761 50530