Associate Professor, MPhys (York) PhD (Warwick)
School of Engineering, Room D217
University of Warwick
Library Road, Coventry,
CV4 7AL, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 24 76 523152
Fax: +44 (0) 24 76 418922
Email: J dot F dot Collingwood at warwick dot ac dot uk
Member of the Biomedical and Biological Systems Laboratory
Joanna trained in Physics at the Universities of York (MPhys) and Warwick (PhD), and subsequently specialized in the areas of trace metals analysis, high resolution imaging, and neurodegenerative disorders. After a period at Keele University (UK) and University of Florida (UK), during which she held research fellowships from the Alzheimer's Society, Dunhill Medical Trust, EPSRC, and RCUK, she was appointed to a lectureship in the School of Engineering at University of Warwick, and is presently an Associate Professor in the Systems and Information stream. She has established links at international facilities including the Argonne National Laboratories (USA), the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (USA), and the Diamond Light Source synchrotron (Oxford, UK) where she chaired the synchrotron user committee from its formation, and served as the UK representative for the European Synchrotron Users Organization. Joanna founded and co-leads the Warwick Medical Imaging Network, and serves on the Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC) Advisory Panel for Public Engagement and the Alzheimer’s Society Biomedical Grant Advisory Board.
Our primary focus is on the imaging and quantification of transition metal ion distribution in the human brain, with particular application to identifying changes in neurodegenerative disorders (e.g. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Multiple System Atrophy, and others).
We measure the effects of regional brain iron changes on Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) to explore biomarker potential.
We use a variety of analytical techniques, including high resolution MRI, synchrotron X-ray microfocus spectroscopy, magnetometry, and more recently incoroporating microfluidic systems, to characterize the distribution and form of trace metals in tissues and disease-related protein aggregates.
- The Warwick Medical Imaging Network (W-MIN) is funded by the University of Warwick 'Science and Technology for Health' Global Research Programme, and led by myself and Prof Thomas Nichols (WMG/Statistics). Information on monthly seminars, fMRI workshops, and other activities are provided on our dedicated W-MIN website.
- 19th July 2016: many congratulations to our project student Peter Johnson for winning the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Project Award Medal at his MEng graduation today!
- 15th July 2016: congratulations to our postdoc James Everett for winning the Royal Society of Chemistry-sponsored poster prize at the "Molecular Imaging 2016" meeting.
- July 2014: We are pleased to welcome our long-standing collaborator, Dr Keith White, University of Florida, as a visitor to our group. Keith will be giving a seminar during his visit: details are on the W-MIN website.
- January 2014: We are pleased to welcome Dr Simon Mitchell as a visitor to our group to work on a model of brain iron regulation in health and disease. Simon will be giving a seminar during his visit: details are at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/research/seminars/
- October 2013: We have been funded to set up a Warwick Medical Imaging Network (W-MIN) as a Science and Technology for Health GRP Network of Excellence. There will be monthly seminars and other activites throughout the year; email me if you want to join the mailing list, and keep an eye on the W-MIN website for details of events.
- July 2013: We have two undergraduate summer research projects running this summer, which include trying out some brain imaging sequences with volunteers on the clinical MRI scanners at UHCW and BUIC. Zobair Arya (Physics) is our current URSS student, and JP Hagen has a summer project bursary from the Warwick Materials GRP (jointly supervised by Prof Charles Hutchinson).
- February 2013: Congratulations to our URSS student, Kevin Ray, who has accepted a PhD project in the Department of Oncology at Oxford. His project is entitled 'Imaging the tumour microenvironment: novel multimodal approaches to spatially map metabolism, hypoxia, and pH'.
- March 2012: we are exhibiting our synchrotron research as part of the IOP stand, 'Visualising the invisible', at the Big Bang Fair, NEC, Birmingham.
Module leader: ES97D Imaging and Sensing in Body and Brain
Athena Swan Champion, School of Engineering
Science and Technology for Health GRP Champion for the School of Engineering
Collingwood, J.F., and Adams, F., 'X-ray microscopy for detection of metals in the brain', Chapter, accepted July 2016. In forthcoming Springer Neuromethods book series: Metals in the Brain: Measurement and Imaging. Volume Editor: Anthony R. White.
Vindy Tjendana Tjhin, Simon Mitchell, Michael Chappell, Elizabeth A. Milward, and Joanna F. Collingwood (2016) 'A computational model of iron transport between the blood circulation and the brain', Abstract from the Twentieth International Congress of Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders, Movement Disorders Volume: 31 S2 Abstract number 1851, page S608-609, DOI 10.1002/mds.26688
Moones Heidari, Sam H. Gerami, Brianna Bassett, Ross M. Graham, Anita C.G. Chua, Ritambhara Aryal, Michael J. House, Joanna F. Collingwood, Conceição Bettencourt, Henry Houlden, Mina Ryten, for the UK Brain Expression Consortium (UKBEC), John K. Olynyk, Debbie Trinder, Daniel M. Johnstone, Elizabeth A. Milward. (2016) 'Pathological relationships involving iron and myelin may constitute a shared mechanism linking various rare and common brain diseases' Rare Diseases Vol. 4, Iss. 1 DOI: 10.1080/21675511.2016.1198458
Collingwood, J.F., and Telling, N.D., 'Iron Oxides in the Human Brain', Chapter · June 2016 In book: Iron Oxides: From Nature to Materials and from Formation to Applications, Edition: First, Publisher: Wiley-VCH, Editors: Damien Faivre, DOI: 10.1002/9783527691395.ch7
- Plascencia-Villa G, Ponce A, Collingwood JF, Arellano-Jiménez MJ, Zhu X, Rogers JT, Betancourt I, José-Yacamán M, Perry G. High-resolution analytical imaging and electron holography of magnetite particles in amyloid cores of Alzheimer's disease. Scientific Reports Sci Rep. 2016 Apr 28;6:24873. DOI:10.1038/srep24873
- M Heidari, D M Johnstone, B Bassett, R M Graham, A C G Chua, M J House, J F Collingwood, C Bettencourt, H Houlden, M Ryten, J K Olynyk, D Trinder and E A Milward for the UK Brain Expression Consortium (UKBEC) (2016) 'Brain iron accumulation affects myelin-related molecular systems implicated in a rare neurogenetic disease family with neuropsychiatric features'. Molecular Psychiatry, DOI: 10.1038/mp.2015.192
- Bettencourt C, Forabosco P, Wiethoff S, Heidari M, Johnstone DM, Botía JA, Collingwood JF, Hardy J, Milward EA, Ryten M, Houlden H; UK Brain Expression Consortium (UKBEC), (2015) 'Gene co-expression networks shed light into diseases of brain iron accumulation', Neurobiol Dis. S0969-9961(15)30106-6. doi: 10.1016/j.nbd.2015.12.004
Collingwood, J.F., "Iron in the blood and the brain", Letter to New Scientist 226(3027):54-54 · June 2015
Collingwood, J.F. and Davidson, M.R. (2014) 'The role of iron in neurodegenerative disorders: insights and opportunities with synchrotron light'. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 5, 191, DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2014.00191.
- Everett, J., Cespedes, E., Shelford, L. R., Exley, C., Collingwood, J. F. , Dobson, J., van der Laan, G., Jenkins, C. A., Arenholz, E. ,Telling, N. D. (2014) 'Evidence of Redox-Active Iron Formation Following Aggregation of Ferrihydrite and the Alzheimer's Disease Peptide beta-Amyloid'. Inorganic Chemistry, DOI: 10.1021/ic402406g
- J. Everett, E. Céspedes, L.R. Shelford, C. Exley, J.F. Collingwood, J. Dobson, G. van der Laan, C.A. Jenkins, E. Arenholz and N.D. Telling (2014) 'Ferrous iron formation following the co-aggregation of ferric iron and the Alzheimerʼs disease peptide β-amyloid (1-42)', Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 11(95):20140165. doi: 10.1098/rsif.2014.0165
- Visanji NP, Collingwood JF, Finnegan ME, Tandon A, House E, Hazrati LN. (2013) 'Iron Deficiency in Parkinsonism: Region-Specific Iron Dysregulation in Parkinson's Disease and Multiple System Atrophy'. J Parkinsons Dis. PMID: 24113558
- F. Skidmore, M. Yang, L. Baxter, K. von Deneen, J. Collingwood, G. He, D. Korenkevych, A. Savenkov, K. White, K. Heilman, M. Gold, Y. Liu (2013) 'Reliability Analysis of the Resting State Can Sensitively and Specifically Identify the Presence of Parkinson Disease', Neuroimage, PMID:2192436
F. Skidmore, M. Yang, L. Baxter, K. von Deneen, J. Collingwood, G. He, R. Tandon, D. Korenkevych, A. Savenkov, K. Heilman, M. Gold, Y. Liu (2013) 'Apathy, Depression, and Motor Symptoms Have Distinct and Separable Resting Activity Patterns in Idiopathic Parkinson Disease', Neuroimage, PMID:21782030
- Gallagher JJ, Finnegan ME, Grehan B, Dobson J, Collingwood JF, Lynch MA (2012) 'Modest amyloid deposition is associated with iron dysregulation, microglial activation, and oxidative stress', J Alzheimers Dis. 28(1):147-61. PMID:21971404
Ugarte M., Grime G.W., Lord G., Geraki K., Collingwood J.F., Finnegan M.E., Farnfield H., Merchant M., Bailey M., Ward N.I., Foster P., Bishop P.N. and Osborne N.N.. (2012) 'Concentration of various trace elements in the rat retina and their distribution in different structures', Metallomics, 4(12):1245-54, DOI:10.1039/C2MT20157G. PMID:23093062
- Antharam V, Collingwood JF, Bullivant JP, Davidson MR, Chandra S, Mikhaylova A, Finnegan ME, Batich C, Forder JR, Dobson J (2012) 'High field magnetic resonance microscopy of the human hippocampus in Alzheimer's disease: quantitative imaging and correlation with iron', Neuroimage, 59(2):1249-60, PMID:21867761
- M.R. Davidson, S. Stoupin, D. DeVito, J. Collingwood, C. Segre, and P.H. Holloway, (2011) Local compositional environment of Er in ZnS:ErF3 thin film electroluminescent phosphors, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 054505 (2011); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3549726
- C. Exley, E. House, J.F. Collingwood, M.R. Davidson, D. Cannon, A.M. Donald (2010) 'Spherulites of Aß42 in vitro and in Alzheimer's disease' Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 20 (4), p 1159 - 1165 (1387-2877) [article]
- E. House, M. Mold, J. Collingwood, A. Baldwin, S. Goodwin and C. Exley (2009) 'Copper abolishes the ß-sheet secondary structure of preformed amyloid fibrils of Aß42' Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 18 (4), p 811 - 817 (1387-2877)
- J. F. Collingwood, S. B. Palmer, M. R. Lees, C. Edwards, J. A. Santos, J. B. Sousa and D. C. Jiles (2009) 'Ferro I phase and gadolinium' Physical Review B-Condensed Matter 79, p 104401 (1098-0121)
- J.F. Collingwood , S. Chandra, M. Davidson, A. Mikhaylova, T. Eskin, J. Dobson, J. Forder, C. Batich (2008) 'High-resolution Magnetic Resonance Imaging To Quantify Relaxation Parameters In Alzheimer's Brain Tissue', Alzheimer's and Dementia, 4 (4), S2
- J.F. Collingwood, R.K. Chong, T. Kasama, L. Cervera-Gontard, R.E. Dunin-Borkowski, G. Perry, M. Posfai, S.L. Siedlak, E.T. Simpson, M.A. Smith and J. Dobson (2008) 'Three-dimensional tomographic imaging and characterization of iron compounds within Alzheimer's plaque core material' Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 14 (2), p 235 - 245 (1387-2877)
- R.E. Dunin-Borkowski, T. Kasama, M. Posfai, R.K.K. Chong, E.T. Simpson, J. Dobson and J.F. Collingwood (2008) 'Off-axis electron holography of magnetic fields in biological materials', Microscopy and Microanalysis, 14 (S2), p 54 - 55 (1431-9276)
- A. E. Oakley, J. F. Collingwood, J. Dobson, G. Love, H. R. Perrott, J. A. Edwardson, M. Elstner and C. M. Morris (2007) 'Individual dopaminergic neurons show raised iron levels in Parkinson disease', Neurology, 68, p 1820 - 1825 (0028-3878)
- J. Dobson and J.F. Collingwood (2007) 'Response to comment on 'Mapping and characterization of iron compounds in Alzheimer's tissue', Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 11, p 469 - 470 (1387-2877)
- J.F. Collingwood and J. Dobson (2006) 'Mapping and characterization of iron compounds in Alzheimer's disease', Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 10, p 215 - 222 (1387-2877)
- Y. Gossuin, D. Hautot, R. Muller, Q. Pankhurst, J. Dobson, C. Morris, P. Gillis, J. Collingwood (2005) 'Looking for biogenic magnetite in brain ferritin using NMR relaxometry', NMR in Biomedicine, 18, p 469 - 472 (0952-3480)
- J.F. Collingwood, A. Mikhaylova, M. Davidson, C. Batich, W.J. Streit, T. Eskin, J. Terry, and Jon Dobson (2005) 'High resolution x-ray absorption spectroscopy studies of metal compounds in neurodegenerative brain tissue', Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 17, p 54 - 60 (1742-6588)
- J.F. Collingwood, A. Mikhaylova, M. Davidson, C. Batich, W.J. Streit, J. Terry, J. Dobson (2005) 'In-situ Characterization and Mapping of Iron Compounds in Alzheimer?s Tissue', Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 7, p 267 - 272 (1387-2877)
- J.A.M. Santos, J.F. Collingwood, J.B. Sousa, S.B. Palmer (2004) 'Anomalous magnetoresistance near the spin reorientation transition of dilute Gd-Y single crystals', Journal Of Magnetism And Magnetic Materials, 272-276 e491 - e492 (0304-8853)
- E. House, J. Collingwood, A. Khan, O. Korchazkina, G. Berthon, and C. Exley (2004) 'Aluminium, iron, zinc and copper influence the in vitro formation of amyloid fibrils of Aß42 in a manner which may have consequences for metal chelation therapy in Alzheimer?s disease', Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 6 291 - 301 (1387-2877)
- J.F. Collingwood, C. Edwards, S.B. Palmer, J.A.M. Santos and J.B. Sousa (2003) 'Magnetic phase behaviour for Gd-rich Gd-Y', Journal Of Applied Physics, 93, p 8349 - 8351 (0021-8979)
- J.P. Camplin, S.M. Thompson, D.R. Loraine, D.I. Pugh, J.F. Collingwood, E.M. McCash, A.B. Horn (2000) 'Contactless measurement of giant magnetoresistance in thin films by infrared reflection', Journal Of Applied Physics, 87, p 4846 - 4848 (0021-8979)
- 'Imaging of the transition metals in the brain', The 2nd International Conference INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES IN BIOMEDICINE, Krakow, Oct 2015
- 'Shining many lights on the dysregulation of brain iron in neurodegenerative disease', Sustainable Futures: 21st Century Technologies for Health, University of Warwick, Singapore, March 2015
- 'Examining the relationship between brain iron and MRI', University of Nottingham, Queens Medical Centre, Oct 2014
- Brain iron imaging in neurodegeneration, 'University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire, Oct 2014
- 'Imaging transition metals in the brain: Recent observations with X-rays and MRI', AGH-University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Oct 2013
- 'X-ray fluorescence imaging for biology', Hercules Course HSC15, ESRF, Grenoble, Sept 2013
- 'Chasing metals in the degenerating brain: Recent observations with synchrotrons, SQuIDs, and MRI', Physical Sciences of Imaging in the Biomedical Sciences (PSIBS) Centre, University of Birmingham, Jan 2013
- 'Synchrotrons and SQuIDS: unusual perspectives on iron and other transition metals in tissues from the human brain in AD, PD and MSA', Tanz Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Toronto, May 2011
- 'Brain Iron Deposition', International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) Annual Meeting, Montreal, May 2011
- 'XRF analysis of neurodegenerative brain tissue using synchrotron radiation', The British Crystallographic Association Spring Meeting, Keele, April 2011
- 'Transition Metals and Neurodegenerative Disorders: Synchrotron X-ray Fluorescence Analysis Of Trace Metals' 3rd Zinc UK Meeting, University College London, Feb 2011
- 'Metals and neurodegeneration – the hunt for elusive elements in the brain', MOAC Doctoral Training Centre, University of Warwick, Jan 2011
- 'Disrupted iron metabolism in the degenerating brain?', ARCHA, Aston University, Dec 2010
Dan M. Johnstone, Moones Heidari, Brianna Bassett, Anita C.G. Chua, John K. Olynyk, Debbie Trinder, Joanna F. Collingwood, Elizabeth A. Milward, 'MAPPING THE BRAIN METALLOME OF A MOUSE MODEL OF IRON OVERLOAD', 8th International Conference on Heme Oxygenases, BioIron and Oxidative Stress (2014) Sydney, Australia
J.F. Collingwood, M.E. Finnegan, Z. Arya, J.-P. Hagen, S. Chen, A. Chowdhury, S. Wayte, E. Ngandwe, N. Visanji, J. Dobson, P.A. Gowland, L.-N. Hazrati, & C.E. Hutchinson, ‘MRI evaluation of the relationship between R2, R2*, and tissue iron in the human basal ganglia’, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine Annual Meeting (2014), Milan, Italy
- M. E. Finnegan, N. Visanji, E. House, V. Antharam, J.-P. Bullivant, A. Mikhailova, M. Lees, J. Dobson, L.-N. Hazrati, J. F. Collingwood, 'Tissue iron accumulation in Alzheimer’s disease parallels increased grey/ white matter contrast in MRI of the human pons', The 11th International Conference on Alzheimer's & Parkinson's Diseases (2013) Florence, Italy
- M. Finnegan, J.F. Collingwood,, N. Visanji, E. House, M.R. Lees, V. Antharam, A. Mikhailova, J. Dobson, L.-N. Hazrati, 'Determining the source of elevated iron concentrations in the human pons in neurodegenerative disorders', The 10th International Conference on Alzheimer's & Parkinson's Diseases (2011) Barcelona, Spain
- N.P. Visanji, J.F. Collingwood, M. Finnegan, E. House, A. Tandon, L.-N. Hazrati, (2011) 'Disregulation of iron storage in multiple systems atrophy', The 10th International Conference on Alzheimer's & Parkinson's Diseases (2011) Barcelona, Spain
- Naomi Visanji, Joanna Collingwood, Mary Finnegan, Emily House, Anurag Tandon and Lili-Naz Hazrati, 'Disregulation of iron storage in multiple system atrophy', Canadian Association of Neuropathologists 50th Annual Meeting (2010), Toronto, Canada
- Mary Finnegan, Joanna Collingwood, Jon Dobson, Vijay Antharam, Albina Mikhailova, John Forder, Mark Davidson, JP Bullivant, Chris Batich, Naomi Visanji, Fred Mosselmans, and Paul Quinn, 'Can altered brain iron in Alzheimer's Disease be identified via MRI?' SINAPSE Annual Meeting (2010), Edinburgh, UK
- Daniel Zajarias-Fainsod, Michael J Chappell, Joanna F Collingwood, Adam Rennie, Sanjoy Nagaraja, and Adrian Wilson, 'Patient-specific Modelling of Blood-flow in Cerebral Aneurysms', COMSOL Conference (2010), Boston, USA
- J.F. Collingwood and J. Dobson (2007) 'Nanoscale iron compounds related to neurodegenerative disorders', Chapter 18 in Biomedical Nanostructures 461- 490, John Wiley
- V. Antharam, J.F. Collingwood, J.P. Bullivant, M.R. Davidson, S. Chandra, A. Mikhaylova, M.E. Finnegan, C. Batich, J.R. Forder, J. Dobson, ‘Relaxation properties of human hippocampus in Alzheimer's Disease using high field magnetic resonance microscopy’, Diamond Light Source Review, 2012
- J.F. Collingwood, M. Davidson, E. House and C. Exley, Spherulites of Aβ42 in-vitro and in Alzheimer’s disease, and their association with copper, Diamond Light Source Review, p 14 - 15, 2011
- Rachel Jones, Biomarkers: casting the net wide, Nature Outlook 466, p S11–S12, 26 August 2010 doi:10.1038/466S11a (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v466/n7310_supp/full/466S11a.html)
- J.F. Collingwood, Metals on the brain, Chemistry and Industry magazine, Issue 11, 7th June 2010 (http://www.soci.org/Chemistry-and-Industry/CnI-Data/2010/11/Metals-on-the-brain.aspx)
Have you considered becoming a Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Ambassador? If you're reading this website there is a strong chance you are qualified. Click here to learn more about this national scheme. It's a great way to get involved in outreach activities in a way that fits with your schedule, and provides the structure and support that you need when you're getting started.
Our group participated in the Big Bang Fair in 2012, as part of the Institute of Physics 'Visualising the invisible' exhibit, and formerly in the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition at the Southbank Centre in 2010, as part of the Diamond Light Source exhibit. These were fantastic chances to introduce the research we do to the general public - and to meet some very familiar faces too!
Synchrotrons are large experimental facilities that provide an extremely intense source of light (primarily X-rays) that can be used for a very wide range of scientific investigations. In the UK, we currently have one synchrotron (Diamond), and there is a shared facility - the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in Grenoble, France. There are now many facilities around the world, including a large synchrotron (Advanced Photon Source) at the Argonne National Laboratory in the USA that our group uses for some of its work. Click on the logos below to learn more about each source, and visit the Light Sources page for an international perspective.
ESUO (European Synchrotron Users Organisation)
The ESUO was founded in February 2010 at a meeting in Lisbon, and draws together representatives from countries throughout Europe to represent synchrotron X-ray facility users.
Joanna chaired the Diamond User Committee from 2009 - 2011, and subsequently represented the Spectroscopy Village of users at Diamond.
- Joanna Collingwood (PI)
- James Everett (PDRA)
Current PhD Students
- Ms Vindy Tjendana Tjhin
- Mr Ziedo Solomon
- Mr Jake Brooks
Former PhD Students
Dr Mary Finnegan (2009 - 2013)
Former MSc Students
- Ms Jierong Luo (2015-16)
- Ms Sresha Bannerjee (2015-16)
- Ms Faraneh Ardian Moghaddam (2012-13)
- Mr Nick Salmon (2010-11)
- Dr Daniel Zajarias-Fainsod (2009 - 2010)
Undergraduate Research Scholarship Scheme Project Students
- 2015 Mr Matt Burden
- 2014 Dr Sarah Chen
- 2013 Mr Zobair Arya
- 2012 Mr Kevin Ray
- 2011 Mr Daniel Norman
3rd Year Project Students
- Ms Anglina Bhambra
- Mr Aaron Vas
- Mr Harry Chang
- Mr Jordan Cutts
- Mr Ben Kercher
- Ms Jess Carroll
- Ms Shelby Holmes
- Mr Mounif Kalawoun
- Mr Elliott Griffiths
- Mr Peter Johnson
- Mr Cheuk Li
- Mr Jean-Pierre Hagen
- Ms Lara Kamal
- Mr Suhyung Kwon
- Mr Stanislavs Gaponenko
- Mr Tim Reynolds
- Mr Kishen Gandhi
- Mr Ben Sargeant
- Mr Neil Russell
PHILANTHROPIC DONATIONS for research in the Trace Metals in Medicine Laboratory: we thank our donors for their tremendous support.