Dr Joanna Collingwood
Associate Professor, MPhys (York) PhD (Warwick)
School of Engineering, Room A313
University of Warwick
Library Road, Coventry,
CV4 7AL, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 24 76 523152
Fax: +44 (0) 24 76 418922
Email: J dot F dot Collingwood at warwick dot ac dot uk
Member of the Biomedical and Biological Systems Laboratory
Imaging in Neurodegenerative Disorders
- Our primary focus is on imaging and quantifying transition metal ion distribution in the human brain, with particular application to identifying change in neurodegenerative disorders.
- We measure the effects of regional brain iron changes on Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) to explore biomarker potential.
- Our current collaborations include work on both structural and functional MRI methods for detection of Parkinson's disease.
- We use a variety of analytical techniques, including high resolution MRI, synchrotron X-ray microfocus spectroscopy, and magnetometry to characterize the distribution and form of trace metals in tissues and disease-related protein aggregates.
- July 2013: We have two undergraduate summer research projects running this summer, which include our trying out some brain imaging sequences with volunteers on the clinical MRI scanners at UHCW and BUIC. Zobair Arya (Physics) is our current URSS student, and JP Hagen has a summer project bursary from the Warwick Materials GRP (jointly supervised by Prof Charles Hutchinson).
- February 2013: Congratulations to our Undergraduate Research Scholarship Student, Kevin Ray, who has accepted a PhD project in the Department of Oncology at Oxford. His project is entitled 'Imaging the tumour microenvironment: novel multimodal approaches to spatially map metabolism, hypoxia, and pH'.
- March 2012: we are exhibiting our synchrotron research as part of the IOP stand, 'Visualising the invisible', at the Big Bang Fair, NEC, Birmingham.
- Module leader: ES180 Technological Science
- Lecturer: ES180 Introductory Physics
- Lecturer: ES173 Biomedical Engineering
- Assessor: ES179 Rights and Wrongs - The Engineering Profession and Society
- Demonstrator: ES2A7 - Hot Air Flow Laboratory
Our primary focus is imaging and quantifying transition metal ion distribution in the human brain, supporting progress in early detection and diagnosis for neurodegenerative disorders. We use a variety of analytical techniques, including high resolution MRI, synchrotron X-ray microfocus spectroscopy, and magnetometry to characterize the distribution and form of trace metals in tissues and protein aggregates.
- Trace Metals in Medicine Laboratory, completed in 2011 and equipped for sample preparation and analysis. Resources include Class II cabinets, cryosectioning facilities for trace metals analysis in tissues, light microscopy, and freeze drying.
- MRI Probe (for imaging at 9.4 T): we recently obtained a state-of-the-art MRI probe for the 400 MHz spectrometer in Millburn House, under the Science Cities Translational Medicine 2 Programme. It is currently in use for in-vitro work.
- The Materials Characterization Laboratory, run by Martin Davis, is a School of Engineering resource providing a small materials analysis and imaging service. It is primarily run for the benefit of the School of Engineering staff and students; however, it also offers the same service to parties outside the University. Our speciality is in generating straightforward cost-effective reports with a quick response time when there is no need for accreditation.
- Visanji NP, Collingwood JF, Finnegan ME, Tandon A, House E, Hazrati LN. (2013) 'Iron Deficiency in Parkinsonism: Region-Specific Iron Dysregulation in Parkinson's Disease and Multiple System Atrophy'. J Parkinsons Dis. 2013 PMID: 24113558
- Gallagher JJ, Finnegan ME, Grehan B, Dobson J, Collingwood JF, Lynch MA (2012) 'Modest amyloid deposition is associated with iron dysregulation, microglial activation, and oxidative stress', J Alzheimers Dis. 2012 Jan;28(1):147-61. PMID:21971404
- Ugarte M., Grime G.W., Lord G., Geraki K., Collingwood J.F., Finnegan M.E., Farnfield H., Merchant M., Bailey M., Ward N.I., Foster P., Bishop P.N. and Osborne N.N.. (2012) 'Concentration of various trace elements in the rat retina and their distribution in different structures', Metallomics, DOI:10.1039/C2MT20157G.
- Antharam V, Collingwood JF, Bullivant JP, Davidson MR, Chandra S, Mikhaylova A, Finnegan ME, Batich C, Forder JR, Dobson J (2012) 'High field magnetic resonance microscopy of the human hippocampus in Alzheimer's disease: quantitative imaging and correlation with iron', Neuroimage, 59(2):1249-60, PMID:21867761
F. Skidmore, M. Yang, L. Baxter, K. von Deneen, J. Collingwood, G. He, D. Korenkevych, A. Savenkov, K. White, K. Heilman, M. Gold, Y. Liu (2011) 'Reliability Analysis of the Resting State Can Sensitively and Specifically Identify the Presence of Parkinson Disease', Neuroimage, PMID:21924367
- F. Skidmore, M. Yang, L. Baxter, K. von Deneen, J. Collingwood, G. He, R. Tandon, D. Korenkevych, A. Savenkov, K. Heilman, M. Gold, Y. Liu (2011) 'Apathy, Depression, and Motor Symptoms Have Distinct and Separable Resting Activity Patterns in Idiopathic Parkinson Disease', Neuroimage, PMID:21782030
- M.R. Davidson, S. Stoupin, D. DeVito, J. Collingwood, C. Segre, and P.H. Holloway, (2011) Local compositional environment of Er in ZnS:ErF3 thin film electroluminescent phosphors, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 054505 (2011); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3549726
- C. Exley, E. House, J.F. Collingwood, M.R. Davidson, D. Cannon, A.M. Donald (2010) 'Spherulites of Aß42 in vitro and in Alzheimer's disease' Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 20 (4), p 1159 - 1165 (1387-2877) [article]
- E. House, M. Mold, J. Collingwood, A. Baldwin, S. Goodwin and C. Exley (2009) 'Copper abolishes the ß-sheet secondary structure of preformed amyloid fibrils of Aß42' Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 18 (4), p 811 - 817 (1387-2877)
- J. F. Collingwood, S. B. Palmer, M. R. Lees, C. Edwards, J. A. Santos, J. B. Sousa and D. C. Jiles (2009) 'Ferro I phase and gadolinium' Physical Review B-Condensed Matter 79, p 104401 (1098-0121)
- J.F. Collingwood , S. Chandra, M. Davidson, A. Mikhaylova, T. Eskin, J. Dobson, J. Forder, C. Batich (2008) 'High-resolution Magnetic Resonance Imaging To Quantify Relaxation Parameters In Alzheimer's Brain Tissue', Alzheimer's and Dementia, 4 (4), S2
- J.F. Collingwood, R.K. Chong, T. Kasama, L. Cervera-Gontard, R.E. Dunin-Borkowski, G. Perry, M. Posfai, S.L. Siedlak, E.T. Simpson, M.A. Smith and J. Dobson (2008) 'Three-dimensional tomographic imaging and characterization of iron compounds within Alzheimer's plaque core material' Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 14 (2), p 235 - 245 (1387-2877)
- R.E. Dunin-Borkowski, T. Kasama, M. Posfai, R.K.K. Chong, E.T. Simpson, J. Dobson and J.F. Collingwood (2008) 'Off-axis electron holography of magnetic fields in biological materials', Microscopy and Microanalysis, 14 (S2), p 54 - 55 (1431-9276)
- A. E. Oakley, J. F. Collingwood, J. Dobson, G. Love, H. R. Perrott, J. A. Edwardson, M. Elstner and C. M. Morris (2007) 'Individual dopaminergic neurons show raised iron levels in Parkinson disease', Neurology, 68, p 1820 - 1825 (0028-3878)
- J. Dobson and J.F. Collingwood (2007) 'Response to comment on 'Mapping and characterization of iron compounds in Alzheimer's tissue', Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 11, p 469 - 470 (1387-2877)
- J.F. Collingwood and J. Dobson (2006) 'Mapping and characterization of iron compounds in Alzheimer's disease', Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 10, p 215 - 222 (1387-2877)
- Y. Gossuin, D. Hautot, R. Muller, Q. Pankhurst, J. Dobson, C. Morris, P. Gillis, J. Collingwood (2005) 'Looking for biogenic magnetite in brain ferritin using NMR relaxometry', NMR in Biomedicine, 18, p 469 - 472 (0952-3480)
- J.F. Collingwood, A. Mikhaylova, M. Davidson, C. Batich, W.J. Streit, T. Eskin, J. Terry, and Jon Dobson (2005) 'High resolution x-ray absorption spectroscopy studies of metal compounds in neurodegenerative brain tissue', Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 17, p 54 - 60 (1742-6588)
- J.F. Collingwood, A. Mikhaylova, M. Davidson, C. Batich, W.J. Streit, J. Terry, J. Dobson (2005) 'In-situ Characterization and Mapping of Iron Compounds in Alzheimer?s Tissue', Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 7, p 267 - 272 (1387-2877)
- J.A.M. Santos, J.F. Collingwood, J.B. Sousa, S.B. Palmer (2004) 'Anomalous magnetoresistance near the spin reorientation transition of dilute Gd-Y single crystals', Journal Of Magnetism And Magnetic Materials, 272-276 e491 - e492 (0304-8853)
- E. House, J. Collingwood, A. Khan, O. Korchazkina, G. Berthon, and C. Exley (2004) 'Aluminium, iron, zinc and copper influence the in vitro formation of amyloid fibrils of Aß42 in a manner which may have consequences for metal chelation therapy in Alzheimer?s disease', Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 6 291 - 301 (1387-2877)
- J.F. Collingwood, C. Edwards, S.B. Palmer, J.A.M. Santos and J.B. Sousa (2003) 'Magnetic phase behaviour for Gd-rich Gd-Y', Journal Of Applied Physics, 93, p 8349 - 8351 (0021-8979)
- J.P. Camplin, S.M. Thompson, D.R. Loraine, D.I. Pugh, J.F. Collingwood, E.M. McCash, A.B. Horn (2000) 'Contactless measurement of giant magnetoresistance in thin films by infrared reflection', Journal Of Applied Physics, 87, p 4846 - 4848 (0021-8979)
- 'Imaging transition metals in the brain: Recent observations with X-rays and MRI', AGH-University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Oct 2013
- 'X-ray fluorescence imaging for biology', Hercules Course HSC15, ESRF, Grenoble, Sept 2013
- 'Chasing metals in the degenerating brain: Recent observations with synchrotrons, SQuIDs, and MRI', Physical Sciences of Imaging in the Biomedical Sciences (PSIBS) Centre, University of Birmingham, Jan 2013
- 'Synchrotrons and SQuIDS: unusual perspectives on iron and other transition metals in tissues from the human brain in AD, PD and MSA', Tanz Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Toronto, May 2011
- 'Brain Iron Deposition', International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) Annual Meeting, Montreal, May 2011
- 'XRF analysis of neurodegenerative brain tissue using synchrotron radiation', The British Crystallographic Association Spring Meeting, Keele, April 2011
- 'Transition Metals and Neurodegenerative Disorders: Synchrotron X-ray Fluorescence Analysis Of Trace Metals' 3rd Zinc UK Meeting, University College London, Feb 2011
- 'Metals and neurodegeneration – the hunt for elusive elements in the brain', MOAC Doctoral Training Centre, University of Warwick, Jan 2011
- 'Disrupted iron metabolism in the degenerating brain?', ARCHA, Aston University, Dec 2010
- M. E. Finnegan, N. Visanji, E. House, V. Antharam, J.-P. Bullivant, A. Mikhailova, M. Lees, J. Dobson, L.-N. Hazrati, J. F. Collingwood, 'Tissue iron accumulation in Alzheimer’s disease parallels increased grey/ white matter contrast in MRI of the human pons', The 11th International Conference on Alzheimer's & Parkinson's Diseases (2013) Florence, Italy
- M. Finnegan, J.F. Collingwood,, N. Visanji, E. House, M.R. Lees, V. Antharam, A. Mikhailova, J. Dobson, L.-N. Hazrati, 'Determining the source of elevated iron concentrations in the human pons in neurodegenerative disorders', The 10th International Conference on Alzheimer's & Parkinson's Diseases (2011) Barcelona, Spain
- N.P. Visanji, J.F. Collingwood, M. Finnegan, E. House, A. Tandon, L.-N. Hazrati, (2011) 'Disregulation of iron storage in multiple systems atrophy', The 10th International Conference on Alzheimer's & Parkinson's Diseases (2011) Barcelona, Spain
- Naomi Visanji, Joanna Collingwood, Mary Finnegan, Emily House, Anurag Tandon and Lili-Naz Hazrati, 'Disregulation of iron storage in multiple system atrophy', Canadian Association of Neuropathologists 50th Annual Meeting (2010), Toronto, Canada
- Mary Finnegan, Joanna Collingwood, Jon Dobson, Vijay Antharam, Albina Mikhailova, John Forder, Mark Davidson, JP Bullivant, Chris Batich, Naomi Visanji, Fred Mosselmans, and Paul Quinn, 'Can altered brain iron in Alzheimer's Disease be identified via MRI?' SINAPSE Annual Meeting (2010), Edinburgh, UK
- Daniel Zajarias-Fainsod, Michael J Chappell, Joanna F Collingwood, Adam Rennie, Sanjoy Nagaraja, and Adrian Wilson, 'Patient-specific Modelling of Blood-flow in Cerebral Aneurysms', COMSOL Conference (2010), Boston, USA
- J.F. Collingwood and J. Dobson (2007) 'Nanoscale iron compounds related to neurodegenerative disorders', Chapter 18 in Biomedical Nanostructures 461- 490, John Wiley
- J.F. Collingwood, M. Davidson, E. House and C. Exley, Spherulites of Aβ42 in-vitro and in Alzheimer’s disease, and their association with copper, Diamond Light Source Review, p 14 - 15, 2011
- Rachel Jones, Biomarkers: casting the net wide, Nature Outlook 466, p S11–S12, 26 August 2010 doi:10.1038/466S11a (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v466/n7310_supp/full/466S11a.html)
- J.F. Collingwood, Metals on the brain, Chemistry and Industry magazine, Issue 11, 7th June 2010 (http://www.soci.org/Chemistry-and-Industry/CnI-Data/2010/11/Metals-on-the-brain.aspx)
Have you considered becoming a Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Ambassador? If you're reading this website there is a strong chance you are qualified. Click here to learn more about this national scheme. It's a great way to get involved in outreach activities in a way that fits with your schedule, and provides the structure and support that you need when you're getting started.
Our group participated in the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition at the Southbank Centre in 2010, as part of the Diamond Light Source exhibit. This was a fantastic chance to introduce the research we do to the general public - and to meet some very familiar faces too!
Synchrotrons are large experimental facilities that provide an extremely intense source of light (primarily X-rays) that can be used for a very wide range of scientific investigations. In the UK, we currently have one synchrotron (Diamond), and there is a shared facility - the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in Grenoble, France. There are further facilities around the world, including a large synchrotron (Advanced Photon Source) at the Argonne National Laboratory in the USA that our group uses for some of its work. Click on the logos below to learn more about each source.
ESUO (European Synchrotron Users Organisation)
The ESUO was founded in February 2010 at a meeting in Lisbon, and draws together representatives from countries throughout Europe to represent synchrotron X-ray facility users.
Joanna chaired the Diamond User Committee from 2009 - 2011, and subsequently represented the Spectroscopy Village of users at Diamond.
Ms Mary Finnegan (2009 - 2013)
- Ms Faraneh Ardian Moghaddam (2012-2013)
- Mr Nick Salmon (2010 - 2011)
- Dr Daniel Zajarias-Fainsod (2009 - 2010)
Undergraduate Research Scholarship Scheme Project Students
- 2013 Mr Zobair Arya
- 2012 Mr Kevin Ray
- 2011 Mr Daniel Norman
3rd Year Project Students
- Mr Jean-Pierre Hagen
- Ms Lara Kamal
- Mr Suhyung Kwon
- Mr Stanislavs Gaponenko
- Mr Tim Reynolds
- Mr Kishen Gandhi
- Mr Ben Sargeant
- Mr Neil Russell