Professor Valery Nakariakov
Position: Full Professor
- PhD (kandidat fiziko-matematicheskih nauk), Department of Plasma Physics, Institute of Applied Physics of Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia, 1993.
- MSc (Diploma), School of Radiophysics, Nizhny Novgorod State University, USSR, 1989.
Higher doctorate: DSc (Warwick, UK, 2007)
Research Interests: My research interests are in the solar physics, plasma astrophysics and nonlinear wave theory. The key word in all my work is a wave (for me, it is something which can propagate somewhere). Particularly, I deal with magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) waves, which are believed to be responsible for a number of astrophysical phenomena and are observed in the atmosphere of the Sun, solar wind and magnetosphere of the Earth (However, it seems that they can be found everywhere in the Universe, where there is a plasma penetrated by the magnetic field). Propagating through an inhomogeneous, non-stationary, nonlinear and sometimes active medium, such as the space plasma, MHD waves gain extremally interesting new properties leading to a number of amazing physical phenomena, like the existence of solitons, negative energy effects, self-organisation and many others. Recent observational discovery of the wave activity of the solar corona gave rise to a new branch of solar physics - MHD Coronal Seismology - a novel method for remote diagnostics of plasmas.
Major current projects:
- STFC rolling grant project "MHD Waves in the Solar Corona", PDRA: Dr Giuseppe Nistico.
- MC IRSES project "Radiophysics of the Sun" (the RadioSun network).
- ERC Advanced Grant "Magnetohydrodynamic Wave Diagnostics of the Solar Atmosphere in the Era of
Transformative High-Resolution Observations" (SeismoSun), PDRAs: Dr David Pascoe and Dr Heather Ratcliffe.
Current visiting and honorary positions:
- Leading Scientist, the Main Astronomical Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences at Pulkovo, St Petersburg, Russia.
- International Scholar, School of Space Research, Kyung Hee University, Korea
IMPORTANT: Our email system is under upgrade and can experience some problems. If you tried to contact me via email and have not got my reply, please try to send it again. In the urgent case please contact me via vnakariakov @ googlemail.com