WMG Research Profile
WMG's vision is to deliver high quality interdisciplinary research to achieve global impact in the fields of low carbon mobility, healthcare and business while training the academic and industrial research leaders of the future. To realise this vision, we adopt the following research values:
- Research excellence with relevance and impact
- Growth through partnerships
- Global recognition and impact
- Advancing an outstanding research environment
Our strategy has been to develop academic leadership and international recognition with Research Groups across five themes: design; materials; manufacturing; systems; business which all work closely together to bring interdisciplinary approaches to applied research. WMG research is currently divided into the following groups:
Cross cutting activities such the High Value Manufacturing Catapult, the Institute for Digital Healthcare and the International Institute for Product and Service Innovation, enable achievement of our impact agenda, into the main application areas of automotive, aerospace, construction, environment, the NHS and healthcare technologies.
Our success is the result of cutting-edge research and knowledge transfer; we work collaboratively with companies and other organisations internationally to produce innovative approaches to current challenges. We have collaborated with government sponsored bodies including the NHS, as well as innovative SMEs and global corporations such as Airbus, Arup, AstraZeneca, BAE Systems, GlaxoSmithKline, Jaguar Land Rover, Network Rail, Rolls-Royce, Siemens, TATA Motors, TATA Steel and TVS Motor company to name but a few.
Driven by research teams that combine both industrial and academic experience, we have been successful in attracting a broad portfolio of funding from the Technology Strategy Board (TSB), Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), European Union, Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng), as well as private funding from project partners.
The Research Assessment Exercise 2008 confirmed the University of Warwick’s position as one of the UK’s leading research universities ranking 7th overall of the UK multi-faculty institutions. A total of 65% of the University’s research activity is at a quality level of either 3* or 4* and in the unit of assessment that included WMG, 70% of the research was ranked 3* and 4*.
We have delivered numerous successful high level multi-partner projects over the years, across many sectors, developing exciting new processes, products and services:
- Premium Automotive Research and Development (PARD) Programme - a successful £72 million project aimed at improving the design and manufacturing capability of the West Midlands supply base.
- Premium Vehicle Lightweight Technologies (PVLT) Project - PVLT helped to develop global initiatives to lower carbon emissions from vehicles through innovative research and development with industrial partners in the West Midlands. Three main strands of research covered forming, joining and simulation.
- Premium Vehicle Customer Interface Technologies (PVCIT) - the PVCIT project developed work in the areas of Advanced Metrology Systems, Design Review and Validation Technologies and Human Machine Interface Technologies. The aim is to sustain the technological capabilities of the West Midlands region.
- Low Carbon Vehicle Technology Project (LCVTP) - a £29 million project in collaboration with leading automotive companies to revolutionise the way vehicles are powered and manufactured.
- International Digital Laboratory (IDL) - a cutting-edge multi-disciplinary centre opened in 2008 to transform the digital capabilities of SMEs in the West Midlands region.
To find out more about WMG's current research programmes, visit our research pages >>
We offer the opportunity to combine doctoral-level education with business relevance through our Doctor of Philosophy and Engineering Doctorate (International) degrees. Both programmes are designed to develop future leaders and experts equipped with the high-level know-how and research experience essential to compete in today’s market place. Building on our reputation for delivering award-winning postgraduate education we provide an environment that enables future academics, entrepreneurs, researchers and scientists to explore an issue which will have real impact.