Delivering effective cyber security in a global business environment
- The MSc in Cyber Security and Management is designed for those wishing to develop a career as a cyber security professional, or to take a leading technical or managerial role in an organisation critically dependent upon data and information communication technology.
- It is suitable for those from a computer science or information technology education background. The programme is also able to cater for those with no formal studies in computer science but where significant interest in cyber security can instead be demonstrated.
What will the course provide?
- Cyber Security in the UK has become a ‘tier 1’ priority alongside international terrorism and major national incidents. The serious threats emerging from the cyber-sphere are a recognised phenomenon worldwide and as such studies in cyber security are strategically important on a global scale.
- Our goal for the MSc programme is to give focus to the strategic deployment and implementation of Cyber Security within an organization. We want to develop strategic thinkers who understand the Cyber threat to an organization and its resources and are able to build and support secure systems that support the strategic growth of a business.
- The course covers all aspects of Cyber Security including network security, computer security and information security. You will learn the most important technical concepts of security—such as encryption, intrusion detection, penetration testing, access control, digital forensics and investigation, risk management, security governance and network security.
- Alongside this, the course focuses on the business context so that students can progress their careers more rapidly through organisations and aim very particularly at management positions.
A Masters course uniquely embedded in industry
- When you study the MSc Cyber Security and Management at Warwick, you will gain an unparalleded exposure to industry. All taught modules contain considerable input from industry experts who, through case studies and guest lectures, contribute to the design and delivery of material making for a vey rich learning environment.
- An example of some of the companies involved in the CSM programme since it was launched in 2012 include HP, Amethyst Consulting, Deep Secure Ltd, Siskin Technology, SOCA (Serious Organised Crime Agency), CSC, VMware, OCSIA, Nottingham Police, Mozilla, Metropolitan Police, Kaspersky, Berwin Leighton Paisner, Telefonica, IBM, Blackstage Forensics, Derbyshire NHS Trust and Nettitude.
- You will have additional opportunity to engage with industry through industry visits, conferences, and mentoring or advice from industry experts at key stages of your work.
Cyber Security Research at WMG
- Keep abreast of the research and news coming out of our Cyber Security Centre at WMG
- Students study nine taught modules as part of the programme of study.
- Five Compulsory Modules are listed below.
- Three modules from the list of Optional Modules should be chosen in addition.
- The ninth module can be selected from the full list of WMG elective modules.
* Modules required for the GCHQ Provisionally Certified Pathway
- Students will have the opportunity to pursue projects in collaboration with industry in areas spanning both cyber security technologies and management issues.
- These might include risk management, security policy design, enterprise security cultures, digital investigation, incident response, intrusion detection, security architectures, cloud exploitation and procurement strategies, data forensics, privacy, social media, and security testing.
- The taught component of the course is highly interactive and varied with a mixture of lectures, syndicate or group work, practical and lab based work, and technology enabled learning.
- Class sizes are kept to a maximum of 30 students per class.
- Module leaders are experts in their fields and are supported by external speakers working in organisations at the forefront of their fields.
- Assessment is through Post Module Assignment based on the learning objectives of each respective module.
- 50% of the Masters credit is achieved through your individual project or dissertation, for which you will have close 1-1 supervision
- Each module will usually be delivered in intensive one-week blocks so you are fully immersed in the subject area for that period. These one-week sessions are scheduled at intervals from October through to June.
After You Graduate
Graduates can expect to go on to work within corporate information - security and technology teams, consultancies, government information-security departments, management tracks in information critical organisations and cyber security related research.
Recent CSM graduates have gone onto roles within companies such as: Accenture (Senior Cyber Security Consultant), Digital Shadows, UK, Canary Wharf (Information Security Analyst), Indonesian Ministry of Finance (Information Security Analyst), JP Morgan (Glasgow)(Technology Analyst), Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) (Information Security Analyst), Odyssey Consultants Ltd (Systems and Network Security Engineer) NCC (Penetration Testing Consultant), PWC (IT Risk and Resilience Team), KPMG (IT Advisory, Cyber Security), Deloitte (Senior Consultant), ABN Amro (Risk Assessor), Bank of Thailand (Cyber Security Analyst), SBD - Secured By Design (Analyst - Cyber Security), Wi-Pay Technologies (Associate IT support - Cyber security), London Borough Of Merton ( IT Security & Governance Officer), Access Bank (Fraud Investigator), CGI (Government Technology Consultant), CSC (Business Operations Director for Asia, Middle East and Africa - AMEA), EY (e-Discovery Associate), EY (Senior consultant in the Information Technology Risk and Assurance department), IBM (Security Project Manager), Ministry of Defence, PWC (IT Risk and Resilience Team), Reckitt Benckiser (Information Security Privacy Specialist), Tsesnabank (ICT auditor specialising in Cyber Security), JP Morgan (IT Infrastructure Analyst), Royal Mail (Information Security Analyst), Ultra Electronics Cheltenham (Information Security Analyst), Nigeria Inter Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) (Information Security Analyst), Emtel Ltd (IT Product Development - Cyber Security), National Information Technology Development Agency of Nigeria (Information Security Analyst), Facebook (Marketing Specialist in Community Operations), Global Network (Programs Executive), PWC (Forensic Technologies & Information Security Analyst), Singapore Police (Senior Investigation Officer), TRB Lightweight Structures (Software Developer), CISCO (Network Consulting Engineer), Tata Consultancy Services (Quality and Security Analyst for TCS-Nokia account), Purdue University (Research Associate)
- If you have questions about this course, you can contact the Admissions Office: email@example.com, +44 (0)24 7652 3691
"You discover things for yourself and learn to work collaboratively with others who bring new outlooks and opinions. This is wholly relevant to today’s workplace, and I find myself applying what I learned constantly in my job."
MSc Cyber Security & Management, 2010/11
3rd October 2016
One year, full time
Online (£50 application fee)
Bachelor 2:2 (Hons) or equivalent
IELTS 6.5 (or IELTS 6.0 + pre-sessional)
31st August 2016