Professor Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya KT CBE FREng FRS
- He was the first Professor of Manufacturing in the UK
- A passionate advocate for academic engineering, he has published extensively in the field of manufacturing
- He is an advisor to many companies and organisations around the world
- He has advised the UK government on manufacturing, innovation and technology, including former Prime Ministers Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair
Chairman and Founder of WMG
- Invited by Jack Butterworth, then Vice-Chancellor of the University of Warwick, to start a premier manufacturing, education and research group
- From being the first manufacturing group in the UK, he has built WMG into the largest manufacturing research and education group in the world
- Baroness Thatcher former British Prime Minister, who opened WMG, and subsequently visited the Group four times, said “I would also just like to say one word again about Professor Bhattacharyya, because he really has been a true pioneer. His name is now known the world over. It’s marvellous to see industry and academics working more closely together than ever before with a cross fertilisation of new ideas”
- In the House of Lords, Lord Kenneth Baker has recognised Professor Lord Bhattacharyya for "the enormous contribution he has made to technical education in our country"
- He has been instrumental in many large scale inward investments in the UK, such as the Tata acquisition of Jaguar Land Rover
- He has spearheaded the development of the National Automotive Innovation Centre which is the largest private sector investment on a university campus
Honours and Awards
- In 2004, he was made a life peer as Baron Bhattacharyya of Moseley in the County of the West Midlands
- In 2002 he was honoured with one of India's highest honours, the Padma Bhusan, by the President of India for services to science, technology and industry
- In 2008 he was awarded Honorary Doctorates by his Alma Mater, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur, and in 2013 by IIT Bhubaneswar
- He has additionally been awarded Honorary Doctorates by universities in Australia, China, Malaysia and the UK
- In 2014 he was elected to the Fellowship of The Royal Society for his contribution to engineering research and education
- In 2015 he was the first person to be awarded the National
Rainbow Bridge Award a special prize for promoting the friendly cooperation between Chinese people and
people from other countries
General enquiries to Agi Chmara:
T: 024 7652 2155
Parliamentary enquiries to Hopi Sen:
T: 07824 540724
Press enquiries to Lisa Barwick:
T: 07824 540845
- Coventry: Smart Motor City
I believe that we are on the way to Coventry becoming a Smart Motor City. With the developments at Jaguar Land Rover, Coventry is again leading the way in engineering and advanced manufacturing – just as it has done before...
- On Make in India
Make in India will deliver strong growth and a stable economy. It’s the right choice....
- On Apprenticeships
My apprenticeship gave me connections and showed me that businesses needed academics who understood the real world of work. My apprenticeship shaped my entire career...