Professor Tim Watson is the Director of the Cyber Security Centre at WMG. With more than twenty years' experience in the computing industry and in academia, he has been involved with a wide range of computer systems on several high-profile projects and has acted as a consultant for some of the largest telecoms, power and oil companies. He has designed, produced and delivered innovative courses on cyber security for a variety of public and private-sector organisations. Tim's current research includes EU funded projects on combating cyber crime and research into the protection of infrastructure against cyber attack. He is the Vice President (Academia) of the Trustworthy Software Initiative, a UK government sponsored project to make software better, and a key deliverable of the UK National Cyber Security Programme. Tim is also a regular media commentator on digital forensics and cyber security.
Tim is a member of the following academic/professional bodies:
- Fellow of the British Computer Society (BCS).
- Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) Cyber Security Steering Committee.
- Information Assurance Advisory Group (IAAC) Academic Liaison Panel.
- National Information Assurance Forum.
- ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee Subcommittee 27 "IT Security Techniques" (this is the UK national body for the 27000 series ISO standards, represented by the British Standards Institute (BSI) Expert Panel IST/033).
- Council of Professors and Heads of Computing (CPHC).