Mode of Study9 x 3 hour sessions
30 CATS: 5000 word essay
20 CATS: 4000 word essay
Core Module for:
Optional Module for:
|MA Global Education and International Development||
MA Educational Studies
MA Educational Innovation
MA Psychology and Education
MA Educational Leadership and Management
Students in Social Sciences Departments (20 CATS option)
Introduction to the Module
The focus of this module is on changing global patterns in the way that education systems are being regulated, and in different populations’ participation in education systems. The changes that education is experiencing as a conceptual space, as systems and institutions, and as individuals’ everyday experiences, demand a contemporary approach to the study of education for practice as well as purely academic purposes.
Students on the MA GEID and other CES programmes will take the 30 CATS variant of this module. Students from other departments can take the module as 20 CATS.
Principle Module Aims
- To explore the discourses of globalisation in education.
- To explore the contemporary international development agenda in relation to education.
- To analyse the tensions and fusion of globalisation and development discourses in relation to education.
- To bring together foundational theories of international development with current trends, and apply theoretical perspectives on education in a variety of contexts.
- To address practical implications for education practice and research.