We have an active Macro and International Economics research group at The University of Warwick.
Each week we hold an external seminar, an internal workshop and a reading group. In addition to the faculty members listed below, a large group of high quality PhD students participate in these events.
Our key research areas and topics:
Macroeconomics, business cycles, labour markets, monetary economics
Growth, institutions and development
International economics, finance, exchange rates, sovereign debt
Macro and International Economics Seminar
For external speakers from top-level academic institutions across the world.
Macro and International Economics Workshop
For faculty and PhD students at Warwick, and occasional external speakers, to present their work and give feedback to each other.
Academics associated with the Macroeconomics and International Research Group are:
- Thu27AprVasco Carvalho (Cambridge)
Vasco Carvalho will be presenting as part of the Macro/International Seminar Series. Further details will be available in due course.
- Thu04MayDaniel Xu (Duke)
Daniel Xu will be presenting as part of the Macro/International Seminar Series. Further details will be available in due course.
- Thu11MayBenjamin Moll (Princeton)
Benjamin Moll will be presenting as part of the Macro/International Seminar Series. Further details will be available in due course.
- Thu18MayJim Harrigan (Virginia)
Jim Harrigan will be presenting as part of the Macro/International Seminar Series. Further details will be available due course.
- May262016Macro/International Seminar - Brian Kovak (CMU)
- May192016Macro/International Seminar - Vincenzo Quadrini (USC)
- May122016Macro/International Seminar - Franck Portier (TSE)
- Apr282016Macro/International Seminar - Francesc Ortega (CUNY)
- Mar172016Macro/International Seminar - Mary Amiti (NY Fed)
- Mar102016Macro/International Seminar - Jim Tybout (Penn State)
- Mar032016Macro/International Seminar - TBA
- Feb252016Macro/International Seminar - Ricardo Reis (LSE)
- Dec032015Macro/International Seminar - Simon van Norden (HEC Montreal)
- Nov262015Macro/International Seminar - Oded Galor (Tel Aviv)
- Nov192015Macro/International Seminar - Ctirad Slavik (Goethe)
- Nov122015Macro/International Seminar - Almuth Scholl (Constance)
- Oct292015Macro/International Seminar - Andreas Moxnes (Olso)
Download the paper; Production Networks, Geography and Firm Performance.
View the speaker website.
- Oct222015Macro/International Seminar - Kalina Manova (Oxford)
- Oct152015Macro/International Seminar - Leonardo Melosi (Chicago Fed)
- May282015Macro / International Seminar - Vivian Yue (Emory)
- May212015Macro/International Seminar - Pablo Kurlat (Stanford)
- May142015Macro/International Seminar - Dirk Krueger (UPenn)
- May072015Macro/International Seminar - Pol Antras (Harvard)
“Internalizing Global Value Chains: A Firm-Level Analysis” (by Alfaro, Laura, Pol Antràs, Davin Chor, and Paola Conconi. 2015)
- Apr302015Macro/International Seminar - Mathias Thoenig (HEC Lausanne)
- Mar172015Macro/International Seminar - Mary Amiti (NY Fed)
- Mar122015Macro/International Seminar - TBC
- Feb262015Macro/International Seminar - Ralph Ossa (Chicago Booth)
- Nov272014Macro/International Seminar - David Atkin (UCLA)
"Exporting and Firm Performance: Evidence from a Randomized Trial"; download the paper (pdf)
- Nov202014"Exporters and Shocks: Dissecting the International Elasticity Puzzle" - Doireann Fitzgerald (FRB Minneapolis)
- Nov132014Macro/International Seminar - Treb Allen (Northwestern)
Treb Allen (Northwestern)
- Nov062014Macro/International Seminar - Francois Gourio (FRB Chicago)
Francois Gourio (FRB Chicago)
Financial distress and endogenous uncertainty
- Oct302014Macro/International Seminar - Almut Balleer (IIES)
Almut Balleer (IIES)
Financial Market Imperfections and the Pricing Decision of Firms: Theory and Evidence
- Oct162014Macro/International Seminar - Valerie Ramey (UC-San Diego)
Valerie Ramey (UC-San Diego)
- May222014Macro/International Seminar: Susanto Basu (Boston College)
Macro/International Seminar: Susanto Basu (Boston College)
- May152014Macro/International Seminar: Philipp Kircher (Edinburgh)
Macro/International Seminar: Philipp Kircher (Edinburgh)
- May012014Macro/International Seminar: Hugo Hopenhayn (UCLA)
Macro/International Seminar: Hugo Hopenhayn (UCLA)
- Apr242014Macro/International Seminar: Philippe Martin (Sciences Po, Paris)
Macro/International Seminar: Philippe Martin (Sciences Po, Paris)
"Inspecting the Mechanism: Leverage and the Great Recession in the Eurozone" co-authored with Thomas Philippon
- Mar132014Macro/International Seminar: Vincent Sterk (UCL)
Macro/International Seminar: Vincent Sterk (UCL)
- Mar062014Macro/International Seminar: Mark Aguiar (Princeton)
Macro/International Seminar: Mark Aguiar (Princeton)
- Feb272014Macro/International Seminar: David Hemous (INSEAD)
Macro/International Seminar: David Hemous (INSEAD)
- Nov282013Macro/International Seminar: Roberto Pancrazi (Warwick)
Macro/International Seminar: Roberto Pancrazi (Warwick)
Participation Costs and Consumption Smoothing: Theory and Empirical Evidence"
- Nov212013Macro/International Seminar: Xavier Ragot (PSE)
Macro/International Seminar: Xavier Ragot (PSE)
Precautionary saving and aggregate demand
- Nov142013Macro/International Seminar: Thomas Lubik (Richmond Fed)
Macro/International Seminar: Thomas Lubik (Richmond Fed)
- Nov072013Macro/International Seminar: Laura Pilossoph (NY Fed)
Macro/International Seminar: Laura Pilossoph (NY Fed)
Sectoral Shocks and Move Unemployment
- Oct312013Macro/International Seminar: Robert Shimer (Chicago)
Macro/International Seminar: Robert Shimer (Chicago)
"Markets with Multidimensional Private Information" with Veronica Guerrieri
- Oct242013Macro/International Seminar: Wouter den hann (LSE)
Macro/International Seminar: Wouter den hann (LSE)
- Oct172013Macro/International Seminar: Carlo Favero (Bocconi)
Macro/International Seminar: Carlo Favero (Bocconi)
- Oct102013Macro Seminar - Emi Nakamura and Jon Steinsson (Columbia)
Emi Nakamura and Jon Steinsson.
- Oct032013Macro/International Seminar: Giorgio Primiceri (Northwestern)
Macro/International Seminar: Giorgio Primiceri (Northwestern)
- May232013Macro/International Seminar
- May162013Macro/International Seminar: Marianna Kudlyak (Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond)
Marianna Kudlyak/International (Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond)
- Apr252013Macro/International Seminar: Roger Farmer (UCLA)
Roger Farmer (UCLA) The Inefficent markets hypothesis: why financial marketsdo not work well in the real world (with
Carine Nourry and Alain Venditti)
- Mar192013Macro/International seminar: Craig Burnside (Duke University)
- Mar142013Macro Seminar: Andrei Levchenko (Michigan)
Andrei Levchenko (Michigan) "Ricardian Productivity Differences and the Gains from Trade"
- Dec022016Macro and International Economics Group
Horng Wong will be presenting at this workshop.
- Nov252016Macro and International Economics Group
Lawrence Uren (Melbourne) will be presenting at this workshop.
- Nov182016Macro and International Economics Group
Giovanni Nicolo will be presenting at this workshop.
- Nov112016Macro and Economics International Economics Group
Natalie Chen and Dennis Novy will be presenting at this workshop.
- Nov042016Macro and International Economics Group - Ali Moghaddasi
- Oct282016Macro and International Economics Group - Alex Karalis
- Oct212016Macro and International Economics Group - Juan Carlos Castro Fernandez
JUan Carlos Castro Fernandez
- Oct142016Macro and International Economics Group - Thijs van Rens
Thijs van Rens
- Oct072016Macro and International Economics Group
Year 1 PhD Forum
- Sep182015Macro and International Economics Summer Workshop 2015
Join the Macro/International Economics reseach group for their annual Summer Workshop.
- Jun262015Macro and International Economics Workshop (Timo Leidecker)
- Jun192015Macro and International Economics Workshop (Vaclav Zdarek)
- Jun122015Macro and International Economics Workshop (Luca Zavalloni and Ghassan Ashbool)
- May292015Macro and International Economics Workshop (Diego Solorzano Rueda)
- May222015Macro and International Economics Workshop (Jorge F. Chavez)
- May152015Macro and International Economics Workshop (Giulio Trigilia)
"Optimal leverage under asymmetric information"
- May082015Macro and International Economics Workshop (Thijs/Marija and Roberto/Thijs/Marija)
Thijs/Marija - "Delayed Adjustment in Macro Models"
Roberto/Thijs/Marija - "The Economics of Food Deserts"
- May012015Macro and International Economics Workshop (Safis M. Chatzouz)
- Apr242015Macro and International Economics Workshop (Marcus Miller)
"Sovereign Debt Restructuring: on handling holdouts"
- Mar132015Macro and International workshop - Jorge Chavez
- Mar062015Macro and International workshop - Irfan Qureshi
- May222015CAGE International Trade Research Day
- May112015Warwick Mismatch Workshop
Monday 11 May 2015
S2.77, Cowling Room(directions)
The one-day workshop will include presentations from a number of speakers.
The workshop includes lunch and a dinner for speakers and delegates on Monday and a dinner for speakers on Sunday evening.
To book a place for this event, please complete the registration form. Places are limited so early booking is recommended.
10:00-10:45 Yanos Zylberberg (Bristol) Rest Unemployment and Duration Dependence (with Regis Barnichon and Shigeru Fujita) 10:45-11:30 Nikolaj Harmon (Copenhagen) Are workers better matched in large labor markets? 11:30-12:15 Francesco Furlanetto (Norges Bank) Labor supply factors and economic fluctuations (with Claudia Foroni and Antoine Lepetit) 12:15-13:30 Lunch La Gusta, Warwick Arts Centre 13:30-14:15 Ludo Visschers (Edinburgh) Great opportunities or Poor Alternatives: Self-employment, Unemployment and Paid employment over the business Cycle (with Matthias Kredler and Ana Millan) 14:15-15:00 Roland Rathelot (Warwick) Mismatch Unemployment and the Geography of Job Search (with Ioana Marinescu) 15:00-15:30 Coffee 15:30-16:15 Bilge Eris (Marmara) Occupational Mobility and Mismatch Unemployment (with Thijs van Rens) 16:15-17:00 Regis Barnichon (CREI and Pompeu Fabra) Under-Employment and the Trickle-Down of Unemployment 18:30 Evening dinner Private dining room, Scarman
- Apr022015Roundtable discussion on the UK elections
- Sep252014Global Fragmentation of Production and Trade Policy
- Jun202014European Workshop in Macroeconomics
View full event details. (pdf)
- May222013CAGE International Trade Research Day
Organised by Sascha Becker and Dennis Novy
- May072013CRETA/ESRC Workshop on Financial Markets and Aggregate Fluctuations
- May042013Financial Markets and the Real Economy (Macroeconomics Conference)
4-5th May 2013
Organisers: Roberto Pancrazi and Thijs van Rens
- Jun082012Trade Policy in a Globalised World
- Feb232011CAGE International Trade Research Day
- Jun252010Trade Costs & International Trade Integration: Past, Present and Future
This conference will bring together researchers from around the world who work in the general area of trade costs in international trade, both in the past and present. Papers will discuss the determinants or the impact of trade costs (broadly defined) with theoretical or empirical methods. The conference also aims at discussing the likely future trajectory of globalization and international trade.
- Jul102009New Micro-foundations for Macroeconomics (ESRC WEF Summer Research Workshop)
The World Economy and Finance Programme of the ESRC is holding a Summer Research Workshop on the theme of New Micro-Foundations for Macroeconomics being held in Radcliffe House, University of Warwick, 10th and 11th July.
For Programme and Registration details, please follow the links on the Workshop's webpage http://www.worldeconomyandfinance.org/warwick2009/index.html
- Jul112007World Economy and Global Finance