I am a Professor of Economics at Warwick University, Editor-in-Chief of International Tax and Public Finance, Elected Member of Council of the Royal Economic Society, Elected Member of the Royal Economic Society's Women's Committee, and Elected Member of the Board of Management of the International Institute for Public Finance.
My main research interests are in the areas of:
- Public Economics
- Political Economy
- Applied Microeconomic Theory
Autumn Term 2016:
- My office is in Room S1.119, which is in the Social Studies building.
- Students that need to discuss things with me should come in person to my office hours, which are Thursdays 11am-1pm.
- Please do not use e-mail to ask questions about course material and exams. Do feel free to e-mail me in order to make an appointment to see me if you are unable to attend my regularly scheduled office hours.
- I do not reply to work related e-mails outside of my regular working hours, which are Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.
Relational Altruism and Giving in Social Groups:
- Published in the September 2016 issue of the Journal of Public Economics - peer-to-peer fundraising success depends on how donors feel about the fundraiser, not the cause. See this September 2016 VoxEU article about it here.
- Lessons to learn about the EU Referendum - our 2004 published academic research showed that “Leave” would be a more likely outcome than “Remain” under a Referendum in comparison with delegation of decision to an elected politician. “The Political Economy of Policy Centralization Direct Versus Representative Democracy”, joint with Michela Redoano, Journal of Public Economics 88, March 2004: 799-817.
- My contribution to the APPG on Responsible Tax is here
- Slides from the CAF donor disaster appeals study are here
- Google Tax Row - It's All About the Base (update February 11, 2016) on my Blog
- Slides of my Keynote Lecture for the Fifth Workshop on Foundations, Torino, October 15, 2015
- See the December 14, 2015 Wall Street Journal article that talks about my research on Tax Incentives for Giving
- Relational Warm Glow and Giving in Social Groups, (with Sarah Smith), Journal of Public Economics 141, September 2016: 1-10.
- Private Provision of Public Goods and Information Diffusion in Social Groups, International Economic Review 55, November 2014: 1019-1042.
Contextual Variety, Internet-of-Things and the Choice of Tailoring Over Platform: Mass Customisation Strategy in Supply Chain Management, (with Irene Ng, Ganna Pogrebna and Roger Maull), International Journal of Production Economics 159, January 2015: 76-87.
Other Recent Publications (2014-present):
The Tax Treatment of Charitable Contributions in the UK, (with Sarah Smith) forthcoming in Charitable Giving and Tax Policy: A Historical and Comparative Perspective (G. Fack & C. Landais eds), Oxford University Press, September 2016.
The Definition, Measurement, and Evaluation of Tax Expenditures and Tax Reliefs, (with Nigar Hashimzade, Chris Heady, Gareth Myles, and Lynne Oates), ESRC Tax Administration Research Centre Briefing Report, National Audit Office, June 2014.
- "One or a Million? The Impact of Donor Wealth on the Crowdfunding Campaign in the Presence of Competition Among Charities," (with Carlo Perroni and Ganna Pogrebna), mimeo, June 2016.
- "The Price Elasticity of Charitable Donations: Evidence from UK Tax Records," (with Miguel Almunia and Ben Lockwood), mimeo, June 2016. Slides are here.
- "Do Disaster Appeals Reduce Other Donations? Evidence From the UK," (with Mark Ottoni-Wilhelm and Sarah Smith), mimeo, June 2016. Slides are here.
- "Does Size Also Matter for Charities?" (with Carlo Perroni and Janne Tukiainen), mimeo, June 2015 (revise and resubmit at the Journal of Public Economics, February 2017).
"Rational Inattention to Subsidies for Charitable Contributions," (with Sarah Smith), IFS Working Paper Number 2010.1007, July 2013 (first draft October 2009).
"Viable Tax Constitutions," first draft in 2001. Later draft as CEPR DP 4210, 2004. Renamed later version sometimes appears in citations as "Taxation and Property Rights," (with Carlo Perroni), 2007.