Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Sowmya Wijayambal Arulampalam
Telephone: +44-(0)2476 523 471
Fax: +44-(0)2476 523 032
Email: wiji dot arulampalam at warwick dot ac dot uk
Office Hours: Term time only: Mondays 11-12; Wednesday 10:30-11:30.
Professor of Economics
Departmental Responsibilities & Affiliations
- Member of the Senior Management Team, Warwick (2015-16)
- Programme Director, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Adjunct Professor, Economics, University of Oslo, Norway & Statistics Norway
- Research Fellow - Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA), Bonn, Germany.
- Editorial Board - Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Research Interests - Applied Econometrics
- Econometrics: Duration models, Quantile Regressions, General cross-section and Panel Data Models.
- Development: Maternal autonomy and family welfare outcomes; Schooling, child mortality in India.
- Education: University/HE Students: application, selection and dropouts.
- Health: Neonatal, Infanct & Child mortality; Child malnutrition.
- Labour: Unemployment (durations, scarring & persistence); Training; Effect of National Minimum Wage.
- Public Economics: Effects of corporate taxes on wages, location choice etc.; Charitable giving and receiving.
- EC910/EC987: Econometrics B (M.Sc) Term 1.
- EC977: Panel Data Econometrics (p/g) Term 2. (NOT RUNNING THIS YEAR)
Recent Publications (since 2009)
- The effects of designation and volume of neonatal care on mortality and morbidity outcomes of very preterm infants in England: Retrospective population-based cohort study (Watson, Petrou, Marlow, Morgan, Draper, Santhakumaran, Modi). British Medical Jouranl Open. (2014). On-line Appendix A- Methodology; Appendix B- extra tables.
- Unofficial Development Assistance: a dynamic model of charities donation income (Peter G Backus and John Micklewright). Forthcoming Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics. (2014).
- The direct incidence of corporate income tax on wages (Michael P. Devereux and Giorgia Maffini). European Economic Review. (2012). 56 (6).1038-1054. ISSN 0014-2921.
- Am I missing Something? The effects of Absence from Class on Student Performance. (Robin Naylor and Jeremy Smith). Economics of Education Review. (2012). 31(4), August, 363–375.
- Are there asymmetries in the effects of training on the conditional male wage distribution? (Alison L Booth & Mark L Bryan). Journal of Population Economics, 23(1): 251-272 (2010).
- Simplified implementation of the Heckman estimator of the dynamic probit model and a comparison with alternative estimators (Mark B Stewart). Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 71, 5, (2009), pp.659-681.
- Electoral Goals and Centre-State Transfers: a theoretical model and empirical evidence from India, (Dasgupta, S., Dhillon, A. and Dutta, B.), Journal of Development Economics, Jan. 2009, 88 (1), p.103-119. Paper
- View a list of working papers.
Current and Recent PhD students
- Second Year: Andrea Papini (with Thor Olav Thoressen, UiO Norway and Statistics Norway).
- Third year: Divya Deepthi (with Victor Lavy); Eliverta Doko (with Jacob Glazer).
- Fourth year: Mario Sanclemente (with Robin Naylor).
- Recently completed: Peter Backus (2011); Asako Ohinata (2011); Marco Alfano (2012); Yu Aoki (2012); Daniel Gutknecht (2012); Francesco Porcelli (2012) ; Rafael Sanchez (2012); Federica Liberini (2013); Artemisa Flores (2013); Sam Watson (2014).