Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Sowmya Wijayambal Arulampalam
Telephone: +44 (0)24 765 23471
Fax:+44 (0)24 765 23032
Email: Wiji dot Arulampalam at warwick dot ac dot uk
Office Hours: 2016/17 - Term 1:
Professor of Economics
Departmental Responsibilities & Affiliations
- Director of Diploma (2016-17)
- Chair of the Senior Hiring Committee (2016-17)
- Member of the Senior Management Committee (2016-17)
- Programme Director, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Adjunct Professor, Economics, University of Oslo, Norway & Statistics Norway
- Research Fellow - Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA), Bonn, Germany.
- Editorial Board - Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Research Interests - Applied Econometrics
- Econometrics: Duration models, Quantile Regressions, General cross-section and Panel Data Models.
- Development: Maternal autonomy and family welfare outcomes; Schooling, child mortality in India.
- Education: University/HE Students: application, selection and dropouts.
- Health: Neonatal, Infanct & Child mortality; Child malnutrition.
- Labour: Unemployment (durations, scarring & persistence); Training; Effect of National Minimum Wage.
- Public Economics: Effects of corporate taxes on wages, location choice etc.; Charitable giving and receiving.
- EC910/EC987: Econometrics B (M.Sc) Term 1.
- EC977: Panel Data Econometrics (p/g) Term 2. (NOT RUNNING THIS YEAR)
Recent Publications (since 2009; for others see me CV - link on the left)
- Modelling heaped durations: an application to neonatal mortality. (Wiji Arulampala, Valentina Corradi and Daniel Gutknecht). 2016. IZA DP 8493 (earlier version). Conditionally accepted by the Journal of Econometrics. Supplementary material.
- The effects of a one to one nurse to patient ratio on the mortality rate in neonatal intensive care: A retrospective, longitudinal, population-based study (Watson, S. I., Arulampalam, W., Petrou, S., Marlow, N., Morgan, A.S., Draper, E.S., Modi, N.). Archives of Disease in Childhood. (2016). doi 10th Feb 2016. On-line Appendices. Journal editorial. Journal Press Release 10th Feb 2016.
- The effects of designation and volume of neonatal care on mortality and morbidity outcomes of very preterm infants in England: Retrospective population-based cohort study (Watson, S. I., Arulampalam, W., Petrou, S., Marlow, N., Morgan, A.S., Draper, E.S., Modi, N.). British Medical Jouranl Open. (2014). On-line Appendix A- Methodology; Appendix B- extra tables.
- Unofficial Development Assistance: a dynamic model of charities donation income (With Arulampalam, Peter G Backus and John Micklewright). Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics. Volume 77, Issue 2, pages 191–209, April 2015.
- The direct incidence of corporate income tax on wages (Wiji Arulampalam, Michael P. Devereux and Giorgia Maffini). European Economic Review. (2012). 56 (6).1038-1054. ISSN 0014-2921.
- Am I missing Something? The effects of Absence from Class on Student Performance. (Wiji Arulampalam, Robin Naylor and Jeremy Smith). Economics of Education Review. (2012). 31(4), August, 363–375.
- Are there asymmetries in the effects of training on the conditional male wage distribution? (Wiji Arulampalam, Alison L Booth & Mark L Bryan). Journal of Population Economics, 23(1): 251-272 (2010).
- Simplified implementation of the Heckman estimator of the dynamic probit model and a comparison with alternative estimators (Wiji Arulampalam & Mark B Stewart). Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 71, 5, (2009), pp.659-681.
- Electoral Goals and Centre-State Transfers: a theoretical model and empirical evidence from India, (W. Arulampalam, Dasgupta, S., Dhillon, A. and Dutta, B.), Journal of Development Economics, Jan. 2009, 88 (1), p.103-119. Paper
Working Papers (Recent)
- Does greater autonomy among women provide the key to better child nutrition? (Wiji Arulampalam, Anjor Bhaskar and Nisha Srivastava). Feb 2016. [ESRC funded] CAGE WP 269; IZA DP 9781.
View a list of other working papers.
Current and Recent PhD students
- Andrea Papini (with Thor Olav Thoressen, UiO Norway and Statistics Norway).
- Divya Deepthi (with Victor Lavy); Eliverta Doko (with Jacob Glazer).
- Recently completed: Peter Backus (2011); Asako Ohinata (2011); Marco Alfano (2012); Yu Aoki (2012); Daniel Gutknecht (2012); Francesco Porcelli (2012) ; Rafael Sanchez (2012); Federica Liberini (2013); Artemisa Flores (2013); Sam Watson (2014); Mario Sanclemente (2016).