Daria Luchinskaya started her PhD at the IER in 2011, investigating graduate knowledge and skill utilisation in UK small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) using a mixed-methods approach, and submitted her thesis in April 2015. Daria's PhD was funded by an ESRC CASE Studentship in conjunction with HECSU as the collaborating partner, and built on the Futuretrack longitudinal survey of students who applied through UCAS in 2005/06 to study full-time undergraduate courses at UK higher education institutions. See Daria's PhD project page and the Futuretrack website for more details. She is currently an IAS Early Career Fellow at the University of Warwick and and a Research Assistant at the IER.
Daria completed her BA in Economics and Management (2007) and CEELBAS-funded MPhil in Russian and East European Studies (2010) at the University of Oxford, St Anne’s College. She pursued her interest in public economics and developed her research interests in higher education and the graduate labour market and mixed-methods approaches in her MPhil thesis on recent reforms in higher education in Russia.
Small firms and graduate employment, graduate skill utilisation, gender and the labour market, HE and the labour market, HE policy, employment policy.
Selected publications and presentations
- Luchinskaya, D. (2014) 'Do graduates use the skills and knowledge gained from their degrees?' Graduate Market Trends, (winter), pp. 10-13. Available at:
- Luchinskaya, D. (2013) 'Does Size Matter? Graduates' Skills and Knowledge Use in Small and Large Businesses.' ESRC Research Capacity Building Clusters Conference Proceedings, eds. B. Clegg, J. Scully and J. Bryson, Aston: Aston Business School, pp. 133-140. Available at: http://www1.aston.ac.uk/aston-business-school/research/events/esrc-research-capacity-building-clusters/conference-proceedings/
- Purcell, K., Elias, P., Atfield, G., Behle, H., Ellison, R. and Luchinskaya, D. (2013) 'Transitions into employment, further study and other outcomes: The Futuretrack Stage 4 Report.' [Report]. Available at: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ier/futuretrack/findings/stage4/
- Luchinskaya, D. (2012) ‘What do graduates do in small businesses?’ Graduate Market Trends, (spring), pp. 15-18. Available at: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/f0edbc2f#/f0edbc2f/14
- Luchinskaya, D. and Ovchynnikova, O. (2011) ‘The Bologna Process Policy Implementation in Russia and Ukraine: Similarities and Differences’, European Educational Research Journal, 10 (1), pp. 21-33. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.2304/eerj.2011.10.1.21
Presentations (* denotes presenting author)
- *Luchinskaya, D. and Purcell, K. 'Investing in higher education: who chose what, and why? Findings from the Futuretrack survey of 2005-6 UK HE applicants.' Presented at the Educational Choices in Further and Higher Education workshop, Institute for Economic Analysis of Decision-Making, Department of Economics, University of Sheffield, UK, June 2015.
- Mayhew, K., *Luchinskaya, D., Tzanakou, C., and Holmes, C. 'Higher education, the knowledge economy and the crisis: are graduates key to getting us out of the recession?' Presented at the 34th International Working Party on Labour Market Segmentation (IWPLMS) conference, Trinity College Dublin, September 2013.
- *Holmes, C., Tzanakou, C., Luchinskaya, D. 'Job upgrading and the expansion of higher education: does one follow the other?' Presented at the Work, Employment and Society conference, University of Warwick, September 2013.
- Luchinskaya, D. 'Size Matters: Graduates' skills and knowledge use in small and large businesses.' Presented at the Work, Employment and Society conference, University of Warwick, September 2013.
- Luchinskaya, D. ‘What do graduates do in small businesses?’ Presented at the ESRC Employee Engagement Doctoral Symposium, University of Kent, UK, April 2012.
- Luchinskaya, D., ‘Graduate Skill Utilisation in UK Small Businesses.’ Presented at the European Conference on Educational Research (ECER) conference, Berlin, Germany, September 2011.
- *Luchinskaya, D., Luchinskaya, E., Nilsson, G. and Kristiansson, L., ‘Competence Development and Employability Prospects: Using Non-traditional Teaching Methods in a Changing Higher Education Environment.’ Presented at the European Conference on Educational Research (ECER) conference, Helsinki, Finland, August 2010.
- Luchinskaya, D., ‘Reforms in Russian Higher Education and Economic Crises’. Presented at the CEELBAS Postgraduate Student Conference, Oxford University, UK, March 2010.
- *Luchinskaya, D. and Taylor, J., ‘Ethnicity and Attitudes to Education: Recent Trends from the Longitudinal Study of Young People in England (LSYPE)’. Presented at the British Educational Research Association (BERA) conference, Manchester, UK, September 2009.