Nick Vaughan-Williams is Professor of International Security in the Department of Politics and International Studies (PAIS) at the University of Warwick, UK. His programme of research focuses on the international politics of border security, the changing nature and location of bordering practices, and the impact of attempts to govern mobility from the perspectives of 'irregular' migrants and citizens in contemporary Europe. He holds degrees in Modern History from the University of Oxford (BA, MA) and in International Relations from the University of Warwick (MA) and University of Wales, Aberystwyth (PhD). He has published more than 40 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters and is author of Europe's Border Crisis (Oxford University Press, 2015) and Border Politics (Edinburgh University Press, 2009, 2012) (Gold Winner, 2011 Association for Borderlands Studies Book Award) and co-author of Everyday Security Threats (Manchester University Press, 2016) and Critical Security Studies (Routledge, 2010, 2014). He is founding co-editor of the Routledge Interventions book series, which in 10 years has published more than 100 books. From 2016 to 2019 he holds the Philip Leverhulme Prize in Politics and International Studies. Since 2015 he has been Head of PAIS.
A full list of research publications since 2005 can be found here.
Externally-funded research projects (select)
- The Leverhulme Trust (2016-19) 'Everyday Narratives of European Border Security and Insecurity' (2015 Philip Leverhulme Prize in Politics and International Relations, PLP-2015-081, £100,000.00) (Principal Investigator), with Georg Lofflmann (RA). Project website.
- ESRC (2015-17) 'Crossing the Mediterranean Sea by Boat: Mapping and Documenting Migratory Journeys and Experiences' (ES/N013646/1, £161,524.00 FEC) (Co-Investigator), with Vicki Squire (PI), Dallal Stevens, Angeliki Dimitriadi, and Maria Pisani. Project website.
- ESRC, AHRC, Dstl (2013-15) 'Science and Security: Research Impact and Co-Production of Knowledge' (ES/K011367/1, £120,832.00 FEC) (Co-Investigator), with Jon Coaffee (PI), Stuart Croft, George Christou, and Oz Hassan. Project website.
- ESRC (2012-13) 'Public Perceptions of Threat in Britain: Security in an Age of Austerity' (ES/J004596/1, £99,960.40 FEC) (Co-Investigator), with Daniel Stevens (PI). Project website.
- British Academy-National Science Foundation Taiwan (2011) 'European-East Asian Critical Border Studies' (JP100035, £8,000.00) (Principal Investigator), with Joyce C. H. Liu.
- British Academy (2007-8) 'Lines in the Sand? Non-Territorial Bordering Practices in Global Politics' (SG-50847, £5,530.00) (Principal Investigator), with Noel Parker.
Professor of International Security Head of Department
- Email: N.Vaughan-Williams@Warwick.ac.uk
- Tel: +44(0)2476 523 084
- Room: D1.22 Social Sciences
Advice and feedback hours: by appointment via PA
- PA: Jade Perkins (J.M.Perkins@Warwick.ac.uk)