Selected Publications (all rights in all papers reproduced here belong to the author).
A complete list of publications (© 1963-2014) is also available.
- [with Rupert Thorp] Croquet and How to Play It. London: Faber & Faber 1966.
- [translator] Introduction to Axiomatic Set Theory. English translation of J-L Krivine, Théorie Axiomatique des Ensembles. Dordrecht: D Reidel Publishing Co 1971.
- [editor] A Pocket Popper. London: Fontana, 1983. Now available in English only as Popper Selections. Princeton: Princeton University Press 1985.
Editions in Albanian, Chinese, Georgian, German, Italian, Lithuanian,
Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, and Swedish.
Thanks to the replacement of the original English editions of several of Popper's main works by reset impressions in Routledge Classics, page references in Popper Selections (and its translations) that point to the older editions (published by Hutchinson and Routledge & Kegan Paul in the UK and in parallel in the US) are now obsolete. This list replaces these references by better references that should for the most part be invariant across editions and languages. Karl Popper: Textos Escolhidos, Rio de Janeiro: Contraponto & Editora de PUC, 2010, incorporates the adjusted references.
- [with KR Popper] 'Why Probabilistic Support Is Not Inductive', Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 321, 1562, 30/4/1987, pp. 569-591. Bibliography*. Addenda * (2003, 2008) by DWM.
- 'Some Accounting for Tastes'* In To Myself from Others. Essays Presented to Don Locke on the Occasion of His Retirement 1989, pp.58f. Coventry: Department of Philosophy, University of Warwick, 1989. Digitally remastered, September 2005.
- 'Reply to Zwirn & Zwirn'*. A comment on D. Zwirn & H.P. Zwirn (1989), 'L'argument de Popper et Miller contre la justification probabiliste de l'induction'. First published in Cahiers du CREA, 14, 1990, pp.149-153. Paris: École Polytechnique. Digitally remastered, January 2008.
- 'An Open Problem in Tarski's Calculus of Deductive Systems''*. Bulletin of the Section of Logic, Institute of Philosophy & Sociology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw/Lódz 20, 2, June 1991, pp.36-43.
- 'The Disposition of Complete Theories'. First published in Coleção Documentos: Série Lógica e Teoria da Ciência 10, agosto de 1992. Instituto de Estudos Avançados, Universidade de São Paulo. Digitally remastered, February-March 2009.
- Critical Rationalism: A Restatement & Defence. Chicago & La Salle: Open Court Publishing Co, 1994
- [with Karl Popper] 'Contributions to the Formal Theory of Probability'. In Paul Humphreys, editor, Patrick Suppes: Scientific Philosopher, Volume 1: Probability & Probabilistic Causality, pp.3-23. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers 1994.
- Russell, Tarski, Gödel: An Internal Study Aid. Coventry: Department of Philosophy, University of Warwick, 1985. Portuguese edition: 'Russell, Tarski, Gödel: Um Guia de Estudos'. Ciência e Filosofia 5, 1995, pp.67-105.
- 'What Use is Empirical Confirmation?' Economics & Philosophy 12, 1996, pp.197-206.
- 'Sir Karl Raimund Popper, CH, FBA'. Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of The Royal Society of London 43, 1997, pp. 367-409. Italian edition: Sir Karl Popper. Una biografia scientifica, Biblioteca Austriaca (Documento 9). Soveria Mannelli: Rubbettino Editore. This paper has been reprinted as Chapter 1 of the author's Out of Error, Ashgate 2006.
- 'Is Scientific Knowledge an Inexhaustible Economic Resource?'. The Critical Rationalist 3, 1, 1998.
- ' Being an Absolute Skeptic'. Science 284, 5420, 4 June 1999, pp.1625f. This paper has been reprinted as part of Chapter 7 of the author's Out of Error, Ashgate 2006. Portuguese translation by Julio Fontana: 'Sendo um cético absoluto'*. Sképsis (São Paulo) 6, 9, 2013, pp.189-195.
- 'Popper and Tarski'. In Ian Jarvie & Sandra Pralong, editors, Popper's Open Society After Fifty Years: the Continuing Relevance of Karl Popper, pp.56-70. London: Routledge 1999. No longer available on line. This paper has been reprinted (with corrections and improvements) as Chapter 9 of the author's Out of Error, Ashgate 2006.
- 'Word Games for Formal Logic'*. In Proceedings of the First International Congress on Tools for Teaching Logic, pp.89-93. University of Salamanca, 2000.
- An updated English version of the foreword* to Ezagutza objektiboa. Ikusmolde ebolutibo bat, the Euskaran translation of Objective Knowledge by Karl Popper. Donostia / San Sebastián: Klasikoak S.A., 2003.
- 'Sokal and Bricmont: Back to the Frying Pan'*. Pli 9, 2000, pp.156-73. This paper has been reprinted as Chapter 6 of the author's Out of Error, Ashgate 2006.
- 'Beauty, a Road to the Truth?'. No longer available on line. This paper has been published in Roberto Festa, Atocha Aliseda, & Jeanne Peijnenburg, editors, Confirmation, Empirical Progress, and Truth Approximation, Rodopi B.V., Amsterdam/Atlanta, pp.341-355, and reprinted (with corrections and improvements) as Chapter 10 of the author's Out of Error, Ashgate 2006.
- 'Induction: A Problem Solved'. In J.M. Böhm, H. Holweg, & C. Hoock, editors, Karl Poppers kritischer Rationalismus heute, pp.81-106. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2002. No longer available on line. This paper has been reprinted (with corrections and improvements) as Chapter 5 of the author's Out of Error, Ashgate 2006.
- 'Propensities May Satisfy Bayes's Theorem'. Proceedings of the British Academy 113, 2002, pp.111-116.
- 'Do We Reason When We Think We Reason, or Do We Think?'*. Learning for Democracy 1, 3, 2005, pp.57-71. For comments by Trudy Govier and Philip Adey, and my reply, you will need to consult the journal in hard copy. Spanish translation: ' ¿Razonamos cuando pensamos que razonamos o pensamos?'*. Eidos (Barranquilla) 7, 2007, pp.88-108.
- Out of Error. Further Essays on Critical Rationalism. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Company 2006.
- [with Ian Jarvie & Karl Milford, editors] Karl Popper: A Centenary Assessment (3 volumes). Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Company 2006.
- 'Darwinism is the Application of Situational Logic to the State of Ignorance'. In Ian Jarvie, Karl Milford, and David Miller, editors, Karl Popper: A Centenary Assessment, Volume III. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Company 2006. Spanish translation (of the original extended version): 'El modo único para aprender'*. Estudios de Filosofía (Medellín), 36, 2007, pp.25-39.
- 'The Objectives of Science'*. Philosophia Scientiæ 11, 1, 2007, pp.21-43.
- 'Falsabilidad – ¿Más que una Convención?'*. Spanish translation of the lecture on which Chapter 4 of Out of Error is based.
- 'Tres pasos de las frecuencias a las propensiones'*. Praxis Filosófica (Cali), ns 24, 2007, pp.5-20.
- 'Overcoming the Justificationist Addiction'*. Iranian Journal of Philosophical Investigations 4, 11, 2007, pp.167-182; Studia Philosophica Wratislaviensia, Supplementary Volume, English Edition, 2012, pp.93-103. Polish translation by Roman Tuziak: 'Wychodzac z Justyfikacyjnego Uzaleznienia', Studia Philosophica Wratislaviensia III, 1, 2008, pp.9-18. Persian translation by Ali Paya: 'Ghalabeh bar Eʻtiyād beh Movajjah Sāzī', .pdf, .docx. Spanish translation by Carlos Emilio García: 'Superando la adicción justificacionista'*. Discusiones Filosóficas (Manizales), 11, 2007, pp.17-32. Japanese translation by Teruhisa Se: 'Seitoukashugi-chudoku no kokufuku', Popper Letters (Tokyo) 20, 2, January 2009, pp.4-11.
- 'Truth Defined'*. In Walter A. Carnielli, Marcelo E. Coniglio, & Ítala M. Loffredo D'Ottaviano, editors, The Many Sides of Logic, College Publications, London, 2009, pp.105-131.
- 'A Refined Geometry of Logic'*. Principia (Florianópolis) 13, 3, Dezembro 2009, pp.339-356.
- 'Truths Ancient and Modern'*. Manuscrito (Campinas) 34, 1, Janeiro-Junho 2011, pp.267-292. Spanish translation: 'Verdades Antiguas y Modernas'*, Discusiones Filosóficas (Manizales) 12, 18, Enero-Junio 2011, pp.207-227.
- 'Probabilistic Substitutivity at a Reduced Price'*. Principia (Florianópolis) 15, 2, Agosto 2011, pp.271-286.
- 'Machine Guessing'*. A two-part paper presented at a conference at the Russian State University for the Humanities (URSS), Moscow, June 2011. Russian translation by Delir Lakhuti: 'Mashinnoye oogadivaniye, chast' I'*, Voprosy Filosofii 2012, 7, pp.110-119, and 'Mashinnoye oogadivaniye, chast' II'*, Voprosy Filosofii 2012, 8, pp.117-126.
Unpublished Papers and Lectures. All rights in these papers and lectures belong to the author. They should not be quoted in print without the author's written permission. Please note that unpublished papers and lectures (including slides) are subject to correction, revision, and modernization, without explicit notice.
- 'Nine Remarks Provoked by Two Recent Papers by Grünbaum'*. A paper written in 1977 but not published. Notes have been added in 2010 amplifying and, in some places, correcting the text.
- 'Solution to a Generalization of the Busy Beaver Problem'*
- 'How Does Probability Theory Generalize Logic?'*. Slides for a talk given at Sextas Jornadas Rolando Chuaqui, Santiago de Chile, May 2004.
- 'Smith's Defence of Approximate Truth'*. No longer available on line. The material is now to be found in Chapter 11 of Out of Error, Ashgate 2006.
- 'Popper's Contributions to the Theory of Probability and Its Interpretation'.* Forthcoming in Jeremy Shearmur & Geoffrey Stokes, editors, The Cambridge Companion to Popper. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 'Haciendo trabajar a la ciencia'*. La conferencia inaugural de un seminario semanal organizado por la Facultad de Ingeniería de la Universidad Nacional de Colombia (sede Bogotá) en el segundo semestre de 2006.
- 'Lattice-valued Probability'*.
- A Rejoinder* to Nicholas Maxwell's posting 'Aim-Oriented Empiricism: David Miller's Critique'.
- 'La toma deductivista de decisiones'*. Diapositivas para una conferencia presentada al encuentro Refutaciones y Conjeturas: la recepción del pensamiento de Popper en Colombia, Universidad de Caldas, Manizales, abril 2008. English version (revised): 'Deductivist Decision Making'.* A lecture given at the meeting Kritischer Rationalismus heute - Internationales und Interuniversitäres Symposium zur Aktualität der Philosophie Karl Poppers, Graz--Klagenfurt, Austria, November 2008. Temporarily unavailable on line.
- 'Some Hard Questions for Critical Rationalism'.* Based on a lecture given at the conference Rethinking Popper, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, September 2007.
- 'Falsification'.* Slides for a lecture given at the workshop, Truth, Falsity, and Negation, Technical University of Dresden, April 2010.
Restricted papers (all rights in all these papers belong to the author(s) and their heirs).
Model publication licence*. This item may be freely copied and adapted by any writer anxious to protect his/her intellectual property rights from the predations of publishers; commercial exploitation is forbidden.
Letter* to The Spectator of June 1998. This item is for everyone interested in intellectual property rights.
* Asterisked links lead to files in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format. If you do not have the Acrobat Reader installed, you may download it here.
(compiled by Dr Manfred Lube) of the writings of Karl Popper and of secondary literature
Midlands Logic Seminar, Spring 2014 (University of Birmingham)
5th World Congress on Para- consistency (Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, February 13-17, 2014)
Logic Gallery (open access) by David Marans
A Teoria Neoinstituticion- alista do Processo: Uma Trajetória Conjectural by Rosemiro Pereira Leal
Inductive Logic & Confirmation in Science (University of Kent, Paris campus, October 17-18, 2013)
'The Cunning of Uncertainty'. Sir Karl Popper Memorial Lecture by Professor Helga Nowotny. (LSE, October 15, 2013)
NeuroDoWo 2013 (Universität Göttingen, July 24-26, 2013)
Karl Popper 2002 (Vienna, July 2002)
Philosophy of Science Seminar 1992-2000 Archive