Recent and Current Research
Much of my recent work has focused on examining and illuminating the ambitions of the texts of Nietzsche's middle period, especially Dawn from 1881, and this research will eventually result in a book on the text co-authored with Rebecca Bamford. I am now embarking on a project of research on ethics in Kant and after Kant. The initial task is to examine three responses to Kant on ethics in the nineteenth century: Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, and Guyau. The aim is to show the superiority of Guyau's approach to ethics.
I serve on the editorial boards, among others, of Cosmos and History, Deleuze Studies, Journal of Nietzsche Studies, and Nietzsche-Studien. I have recently guest edited with Michael Ure (Monash) a special issue of the Journal of Nietzsche Studies on Nietzsche and the passions, which will be published in 2013. It features essays on Nietzsche and Spinoza, Nietzsche and Schadenfreude, Nietzsche and disgust, and Nietzsche's reception of Tristan and Isolde.
I welcome inquiries from prospective PhD students and am especially interested in supervising work on topics in modern and contemporary European philosophy.
Selected Recent and Forthcoming Publications
- (with Duncan Large) The Nietzsche Reader, Basil Blackwell, 2006.
- A Companion to Nietzsche, Basil Blackwell, 2006; pbk. 2009.
- (with Christa Davis Acampora) Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil: A Reader's Guide (Continuum), 2011, 270 pp.
- "Materialism and the Possibilities of Life and of Philosophy: The Early Nietzsche on Empedocles and Democritus", in Manuel Dries (ed.), Nietzsche and Embodied Mind (Walter de Gruyter, forthcoming 2013).
- "True to the Earth: Nietzsche's Epicurean Care of Self and World", in Horst Hutter & Eli Friedland (eds.), Nietzsche's Therapeutic Teaching (Bloomsbury, forthcoming 2013).
- "Care of Self in Dawn: Nietzsche's Resistance", in Manuel Knoll & Barry Stocker (eds.), Nietzsche and Political Theory (Walter de Gruyter, forthcoming 2013).
- "Questions of the Subject in Nietzsche and Foucault: A Reading of Dawn", in J. Constancio (ed.), Handbook on Nietzsche and the Self (Walter de Gruyter, forthcoming).
- "Beyond Compassion: On Nietzsche's Moral Therapy in Dawn", Continental Philosophy Review, 44: 2, 2011, pp. 179-204.
- "The Gay Science", in Paul Bishop (ed.), A Companion to Nietzsche: Life and Thought (Camden House, 2012), pp. 167-192.
- "The Philosophy of the Morning: Philosophy & Phenomenology in Nietzsche's Dawn", in Christine Daigle and Elodie Boublil (eds.), Nietzsche and Phenomenology (Indiana University Press, 2013), pp. 217-235.
- "We are Experiments: Morality and Authenticity in Nietzsche", in Vanessa Lemm (ed.), Nietzsche and the Becoming of Life (Fordham University Press, forthcoming).
- "Nietzsche and Existentialism: Recent Developments in Scholarship", in Jack Reynolds et. al (eds.), The Continuum Companion to Existentialism (Continuum), 2011, pp. 290-300.
- 'Afterword', Friedrich Nietzsche, Dawn: On the Prejudices of Morality, trans. Brittain Smith (Stanford University Press, 'Collected Works', volume 5, 2011), pp. 363-409.
- "'Holding on to the Sublime': On Nietzsche's Early 'Unfashionable' Project", in K. Gemes & J. Richardson (eds.), The Oxford Handbook to Nietzsche (Oxford UP, forthcoming 2013).
- "In Search of Authenticity and Personality: Nietzsche on the Purifications of Philosophy", American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly, Spring 2010, 84: 2, pp. 283-313.
- "Nietzsche, the Sublime, and the Sublimities of Philosophy", Nietzsche-Studien, Band 39, 2010, pp. 201-32.
- "For Mortal Souls: Philosophy and Therapeia in Nietzsche's Dawn', in Jonardon Ganeri & Clare Carlisle (eds.), Philosophy as Therapeia (Royal Institute of Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, 2010), pp. 137-165.
- "Bergson on Memory"
- & "Deleuze on the Overcoming of Memory", both in S. Radstone & B. Schwarz (eds.), Memory: Histories, Theories, Debates, Fordham University Press (2010), pp. 61-77 & pp. 161-79.
- "On the Sublime in Nietzsche's Dawn", Pli 19, 2009, pp. 165-94; The Agonist II: 1, 2009, pp. 5-30 (full version).
- "'Holding on to the Sublime': Nietzsche on Philosophy's Perception and Search for Greatness", in H. Siemens (ed.), Nietzsche, Power, and Politics, Walter de Gruyter, 2009, pp. 767-801.
- "Nietzsches Materialismus und Nietzsches Idealismus", in Marc Jongen, Koenraad Hemelsoet, & Sjoerd van Tuinen (eds.), Die Vermessung des Ungeheuren. Philosophie nach Peter Sloterdijk (Wilhelm Fink, 2009), pp. 467-84.
- "The Transfiguration of Existence and Sovereign Life: Sloterdijk and Nietzsche on Posthuman and Superhuman Futures", Society and Space, 27: 1, 2009, pp. 139-56 (special issue on Sloterdijk).
- "Free Thinkers and Free Spirits: Nietzsche and Guyau on the Future of Morality", in J. Metzger (ed.), Nietzsche, Nihilism and the Philosophy of the Future (Continuum 2009), pp. 102-24.
- "The Incorporation of Truth", in A Companion to Nietzsche (Wiley Blackwell, 2009, pbk), pp. 230-50.
- Review Essay of Evan Thompson, Mind in Life (Harvard UP), Journal of Phenomenology and Cognitive Science, 8: 1 (2009), pp. 151-8.
- "Beyond the Human Condition: An Introduction to Deleuze's Lecture Course", Substance, 36: 3, 2007, pp. 1-15.