Collaborative Academic - Mark Carrigan
ONLINE MAGAZINE SOCIOLOGICAL IMAGINATION
- Great Content Management functionality
- Can give people their own account, with various options for editing permissions
- Open-ware software with huge developer community so always new sophistications to add
Identifying an Audience
This blog is for all those with an interest in sociology (not necessarily a professional interest).
Mark uses Google Analytics to get an insight into who the readership are and how they find out about the site. This has revealed novel insights such as the internationality of the audience.
Reaching that Audience
Mark recommends using traditional methods (as well social media) such as:
- Email lists
- Adding advert on 'call for papers' on well-read websites for the discipline
Typical Blog Posts
There are numerous regular contributors to the site. These include
- Mediated Matters - Casey Brienza on the sociology of the media and culture.
- Idle Ethnographer - Milena Kremakova- the portable e-soapbox of a sociologist with too much time on her hands.
- Rethinking The World - a new regular column by Prakash Kona.
Investment of Time
The biggest investment of time is made by Mark Carrigan, the editor of the site. In order to manage the workload he sets aside one day a month to edit the submissions and schedule content for the following month.
He has built up a network of contributors and regularly advertises the opportunity to submit to the site, ensuring that there is always a good amount of content.
Success Looks like
For the contributors, success is generally reaching a larger, engaged audience with their research or reflections on a particular issue.
Explore more of our blogging resources:
What do you use blogging for? Share your thoughts with us.