An Awards Ceremony is a formal University event and in accordance with our Regulations all graduands must be dressed smartly and will wear full academic dress
- Hood colours vary according to the degree to be awarded (see the full list);
- Jeans, t-shirts and trainers are NOT permitted and men must wear smart shoes and trousers with a collar and tie;
- Members of the armed forces may wear the appropriate uniform;
- Members of religious orders may wear their normal mode of dress;
- Graduands from overseas countries may, if they choose, wear their national dress;
- Graduands whose clothes are considered unsuitable will be excluded from the ceremony.
Graduands must either hire or purchase their academic dress from the University's robemakers, Ede and Ravenscroft. This must have been done WELL IN ADVANCE of the ceremony using their online order form . There is a £5 discount for ordering your academic dress from the Ede and Ravenscroft website rather than their call centre. We strongly recommend that you order robes at the latest 2 working weeks prior to the start of the Congregation week; Ede and Ravenscroft's online robe bookings form will usually close 10 working days prior to the start of the University's Congregation week . If you have not ordered your robe in advance, the robemakers cannot guarantee you a robe on the day - you will not be permitted to attend the ceremony without full academic dress. If you have not ordered a robe in advance, please arrive to the robing area as soon as possible when robing opens for your ceremony to attempt to collect a spare robe (you may be required to pay in cash on the day).
Robes can only be collected on the day of your ceremony. Please note the collection/return times below for each ceremony:
|Ceremony Start Time
Collect Robes from the Ensemble Room, in the Arts Centre
|Return Robes to
Ensemble Room, in the Music Centre, Arts Centre by:
|11.00||8.30 - 10.00||19:15|
|15.00||11.30 - 14.00||
Unless you have pre-arranged with Ede & Ravenscroft to hire your robe for an additional week (additional hire fees apply), any graduate failing to return his or her robe by 18.15 on the day of their ceremony will be charged the full purchase price by the University's robemakers.