Skip to main content

Information Regarding Visas for the Graduation Ceremonies

The Awards & Ceremonies team cannot issue letters for visa purposes or provide visa-related advice. However, the Immigration Service Team in the Global Engagement Office can provide you with information and guidance regarding the appropriate visa to attend the Graduatation Ceremony, as well as information on how to invite family/friends.

The information below is supplied by the Immigration Service Team which we hope you find useful. If you require further advice, please visit their Travel and Re-entry to the UK webpage.


If you currently hold a valid Tier 4 student visa which is sponsored by the University of Warwick, AND you will remain in the UK until the date of the Graduation Ceremony, then you are fine to remain in the UK (and attend the Graduation Ceremony) until your visa expiry date.

If you currently hold a valid Tier 4 student visa which is sponsored by the University of Warwick, AND you are currently overseas (or intend to leave the UK between now and the date of the Graduation Ceremony), then you are advised to apply for a General Visitor's Visa whilst overseas for the purpose of attending the Graduation Ceremony. Further information can be found in the Immigration Service Website, below: (or linked to this website). If this is the case, you should request a status letter to confirm the date of your graduation ceremony using the online request form: 

You can also find further advice on General Visitor Visas 


If you intend to invite parents/ friends to attend the Graduation Ceremony, you will need to request a letter confirming your graduation via the web link below, which you need to give to your family/friends in support of their application for a General Visitor's Visa:

You will also need to write an Invitation letter. A sample invitation letter which you can tailor to invite your family/friends can be found on this website (scroll down the page to see the 'sample invitation letter'), as well as detailed information about applying for a general visitor visa: