What's on the big screenThe programme for the next 7 days is published on our content schedule pages.
Royal Opera House screenings
Tuesday 4th July La Traviata (pre-show performance from 6:30pm, broadcast ends 10:20pm)
Friday 14th July Turandot (pre-show performance from 7:00pm, broadcast ends 10:25pm)
The screenings are free of charge and open to all, please bring chairs, picnics and refreshments to enjoy the performances. University outlets will also be open to purchase food and drink.
Each day, the Big Screen switches between a playlist of varying content - the default schedule for this is as follows:
Monday – Friday
Playlist : 07:00 – 22:00
News : 08:00 – 10:00
Playlist : 10:00 – 22:00
Playlist : 10:00 – 22:00
Content you submit can be placed within the 'Playlist' times, unless special arrangements have been made.
Using the Big Screen
Big screen content
Images should be designed at the same size as digital signage requirements (Landscape digital screens 1390 x 770px @72 dpi, RGB). Please refer to the digital signage content guideline for details including guidance around copyright. You can also download a pre sized PowerPoint template from here. You can submit content through our content submission form or contact bigscreen at warwick dot ac dot uk for more details.
We are looking at options for a wide range of content types and activities so please contact us at bigscreen at warwick dot ac dot ukif you have an idea you would like to use the screen for and we will do our best to accommodate it if possible.
If you would like to book the screen to support an event, please contact us as early as possible so we can work with you to understand the requirements, identify resource requirements and to make the event successful. Events need to be planned with the AV Services team as well as Digital Signage. The following information may help you at the initial stages of planning:
- The Piazza and the new Benefactors Place and Arts Centre Plaza provide the campus with enhanced community space which makes the most of seating, lighting and events space, designed for all campus users to enjoy. These are bookable spaces and regularly used for other activities. Availability should be checked with the digital signage team and piazza dot bookings at warwick dot ac dot uk prior to organising any activity. You can find out more on the Warwick Retail webpages
- Films can be hired to be shown on the screen. These require 14 working days to book via Filmbank and we restrict films shown on the screen to PG and U only. The average cost of showing a film is £ 160 + VAT which covers the license to screen the film to an audience. Some newer titles will be more expensive and some titles are not released if there is a remake or follow-up film being planned. DVDs and films recorded from TV Channels cannot be shown without the appropriate licenses. The booking for this is managed via Clive dot Singleton at warwick dot ac dot uk General Commercial Manager.
- DVDs and other formats need to be supplied to AV Services at least 48 hours prior to an event to allow for any formatting and testing required.
- We hold the relevant licenses to broadcast music in the Piazza but the content owner should still have permission to use any imagery, footage and sound. It is the content owner not the Digital Signage team, AV Services or the University that will be liable for any action brought about by this.
- Live TV programmes, including films can be shown on the screen within our Freeview license. We do not currently have SKY licenses to stream their channels or to show online programmes.
- Activities and events which require support from AV Services will be charged at £20 per hour.
- To stream live events, we will need to test the link before hand. AV Services will provide onsite support for these events and testing which will be charged at £20 per hour.
- The screen audio system can be used and can be linked to radio mics as required. This service needs to be booked through AV Services.
- Fixed cameras can be set up in a number of rooms around campus to stream events onto the screen. However, we can only set up single cameras and the footage streamed will be limited.
- We are looking at options for gaming consoles to be used with the big screen. Consoles and games are not supplied by AV Services or the Digital Signage team but we will look at supporting events using supplied consoles and games. In line with the film restrictions, games should be suitable for audiences of all ages and we reserve the right to refuse any games that we feel may breach this.
- We cannot arrange the weather for you so alternatives should be planned.
Ideas for the Big Screen?
If you have any ideas for different types of content, how you would use the screen to support your society or department, have a trailer or documentary you would like to have shown on the big screen, bigscreen at warwick dot ac dot uk
Screen installation: June 2012
The University installed a large outdoor screen on the side of the Rootes Building in June 2012. We are developing the content schedule and trialling different content streams over the summer and welcome both contributions and suggestions from the university community. If you have any ideas for how the screen could be used, please get in touch via our Big Screen Content Ideas form.
The screen has been used to support the Summer Graduation ceremonies, broadcast Wimbledon coverage, stream content for the Staff Summer Fayre and been used by a number of conferences and groups to show films and documentaries.
The broadcasting schedule will be published on a weekly basis. We will look to feature coverage from sporting and cultural events within the current license frameworks which includes the main Freeview channels. The preference will always be to feature non commercial content. The screen will be turned off when appropriate.
If you have any questions or would like any more information about the range of content we are looking for, please contact the digital signage team: bigscreen at warwick dot ac dot uk