The Wireless Network
The wireless network allows customers the freedom to make use of Wi-Fi® enabled devices to connect to the Internet without needing to plug in a cable. It offers fast, reliable connections at data rates of up to 300Mbps. The service supports 802.11g and 802.11n with support for the latest 802.11ac standard in selected areas. The service provides coverage in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wavebands.
Staff and students can authenticate using WPA2 enterprise authentication. This provides users with a secure network connection which prevents eavesdropping. The vast majority of wireless devices are capable of using this standard and it is always worth checking with the manufacturer for software updates.
We use Cisco CleanAir™ technology to minimise radio interference and provide the capability to support a high user density with high bandwidth applications such as video streaming.
Who can connect to the wireless network at Warwick ?
There are several wireless network services available across the University. Choose the appropriate service depending upon who you are:
- Warwick Staff and Students (hotspot-secure)
- Residents in campus accommodation (resnet-secure)
- Academic visitors (eduroam)
- Conference guests and campus visitors (Warwick Guest)
How do I connect to wireless ?
- To find out how to configure your device to connect to the University's Wireless Network, please click here.
Where can I connect to wireless?
- To find out locations and wireless coverage details across the University Campus, please click here.
- Requests for new Wireless locations or service expansion are submitted via the IT Services Help Desk.
- Request for Consultancy around specific uses of the wireless infrsatructure can also be submitted via the IT Services Help Desk .
University staff and students are not charged for using this service. Requests for service expansion must be submitted by a permanent member of staff who is an authorised budget holder as there are charges to cover the installation and cabling work required for new installs. Some areas may require specialist solutions which require additional funding. Typically these include external areas and high density wireless in lecture theatres.
The Wireless network is designed to be available 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Occasionally the service may be withdrawn from some areas for planned maintenance. These times will be advertised in advance on the ITS homepage. Support for the service is available during standard IT Services support hours.