Cycling history sources
The collection names at the head of each paragraph are links to the relevant catalogue descriptions.
The National Cycle Archive consists of many separate collections of books, journals and archives deposited or donated by cycling bodies and individuals. Most are catalogued according to their provenance, but some are catalogued according to their record type. The link above is to a list of all the Archive's component collections. The Archive was established in 1990 by the Cyclists' Touring Club with funds from a bequest by Frank Whitt. Its primary aim is the preservation of records relating to cycles and cycling. The National Cycle Archive Fund is administered by the trustees of the Cycle Touring and Countryside Trust.
The CTC's own archive has its own catalogue.
The archive includes minutes, guard books, the Quarterly Journal/Bulletin, press cuttings, export statistics, catalogues for cycle/cycle and motorcycle shows, 1894-1997, papers of the Cycle Trade Union, 1914-1962, and of the British Motor Cycle and Cyclecar Research Association, 1920-1931.
The archives include papers of BSA Cycles Ltd., 1919-1934. Other BSA records are held by Solihull Heritage and Local Studies Service.
Cycling archives in repositories elsewhere
- Coventry History Centre : the cycling collection includes periodicals and early cycling books, glass negatives and prints from H. W. Bartleet and elsewhere.
- Wessex Road Club papers are held in the Special Collections Department of the University of Birmingham (GB 0150 MS 17).
- The Raleigh Cycle Company archives, including the Sturmey-Archer papers, are held at Nottinghamshire Archives.
- National Clarion Cycling Club medals, ribbons and ephemera are held at the People’s History Museum, Manchester.
- P. P. Baly of Warwick: cycling papers in the 1880s are held at the Warwickshire County Record Office.
- Percy T. Stallard (b.1909), cycle manufacturer and salesman, and racing cyclist: his papers are held at Wolverhampton Archives and Local Studies.
- The Polytechnic Cycling Club, Westminster archives are held by University of Westminster Archive Services.