We welcome the thoughtfulness of people who offer to donate books and other material to the Library. However, each year we receive many unsolicited donated items, not all of which are suitable for adding to our stock.
With this in mind we ask that potential donations are not brought to the Library without prior agreement.
If you would like to make a donation please contact library at warwick dot ac dot uk in the first instance so that we can ascertain whether your donation is appropriate for our collection. We may ask you for a list of the items that you wish to donate so that we can assess their suitability. If you are unsure whether your donation is suitable then the following information can help.
The Library will consider adding donations to stock according to the same criteria as for purchased material. Therefore unless the material is of particular historical value or rarity we can only accept material if:
- it is relevant to current or future known teaching and research needs
- it will develop existing collection strengths or fill identified gaps
- it does not duplicate existing stock, whether in print or electronic/digital format
- it is current and is in good physical condition
In addition, the Library reserves the right to refuse material when:
- it is unable or unwilling to accept any additional conditions pertaining to the donation made by the donor
- material is brought to the library without prior agreement
Where donations are accepted, these are accepted without obligation and will be subject to the same stock management criteria as other Library materials. If a donation is accepted in totality but it contains items not suitable for stock, the Library reserves the right to dispose of unwanted donations without reference to the donor. Bequests will be treated as donations unless prior arrangements have been made. The Library reserves the right to retain any money arising from the disposal of items not suitable for the collection. Any such income will be reinvested in Library services and resources.
If your donation is in good condition but not suitable for us, you may wish to consider:
- using the Student Union online book sale facility where you can advertise your books internally to Warwick students
- donating the items to a local charity shop. Oxfam Books and Music in Coventry, Kenilworth or Leamington, as they all have academic sections
- selling the items online e.g. via Amazon or ebay