Skip to main content

Resources: information links and contacts

There are a range of resources you can access both within the University and outside:

The Director of Student Support and the Student Support Team help students in times of need. The Student Support Team advises students when they are unsure about the most relevant support service. You can visit the Student Support Office with non-academic issues, including personal or family problems, financial difficulties, accommodation problems, etc or when you are unsure who to go to or where to get help. Contact Student Support on: 024 76575570 (ext. 75570) or visit Student Support Services located on the ground floor of University House.

See for an overview of all student support services

For Student Advice and Welfare, click on

Advice and Welfare Services provide a confidential, non-judgmental advice service for students at the University of Warwick. They are like a Citizens Advice Bureau or Law Centre. They give practical advice on just about any subject including money and debt, housing, immigration, legal matters, consumer problems, academic problems and all sort of other topics. This is the best place to go if you are looking for advice from someone independent from the University.
Remember to see if your problem is covered on the Union welfare pages.


Opening hours:

Email us:

Term time:

9.00 am to 4.00 pm, Mondays to Thursdays,

Telephone us:

024 7657 2824 (internal 72824)


9.00 am to 3.00 pm on Fridays





Drop in:

Second Floor, Union North
Students' Union


9.30 am to 3.00 pm, Mondays to Thursdays,
closed on Friday



For Mental Health Information:

The University's Mental Health Co-ordinators: Sarah Ashworth, Stacey Hendrikson, Jenny Legge and Rebecca Deering are based in University House, Ground floor, near Disability Services - The Mental Health and Wellbeing Team

The Mental Health Co-ordinator or Wellbeing Advisor will work with you to explore possible solutions to the difficulties you have been experiencing. This may include offering advice and information about the following:

  • Lifestyle changes which may lead to improvements in your mental health and well-being
  • Discussing therapeutic interventions which may also be of help to you and where you might access further support
  • Recommending self-help strategies for managing your mental health in conjunction with the demands of academic study and University life
  • Liaison with your department, if required. This may include recommending reasonable adjustments to study, in the form of exam arrangements or flexibility with deadlines. If you think you may require reasonable adjustments to study due to a mental health disability, please bring medical evidence (in the form of a letter or note from your doctor/psychiatrist) with you when you attend your appointment. Please note, we will not contact your department without your consent.
  • Applying for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)
  • Recommending the most appropriate ongoing support for you, which may include: a follow-up meeting with the Mental Health Co-ordinator; Mental Health Mentoring (if in receipt of DSAs); support and/or treatment from your GP/Doctor; counselling or workshop attendance via the University Counselling Service; referral to the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service or access to Statutory Mental Health Services

Confidentiality and Information Sharing: Personal information given in sessions is confidential. However, there may be times when sharing information with other professionals is necessary or would be helpful in providing the best possible treatment and support for a student. In such a situation, what is communicated will be agreed with the student and a copy of any shared information with be given. Confidentiality and information sharing will be discussed and agreed with each student. Referrals: Referrals can be made, with the student's agreement, by any health professional or appropriate member of the University Staff e.g. Personal Tutor, Resident Tutor, Warden etc. Students can also refer themselves by contacting the Mental Health team

If the problem is an acute mental health issue: If you live on campus or in Coventry or off campus in Leamington and need an urgent mental health assessment, contact the Crisis and Resolution Home Treatment Team on 0300 200 0011. Alternatively you may present as a patient at the NHS walk-in centre in Coventry town centre, Stoney Stanton Road. The walk-in telephone number is 024 76246789. For more information visit

The emergency services (ambulance, police) may be a necessary resource (telephone 999).

Mental Health Help and Advice Line: 0800 616171 from a landline or 0300 330 5487
from a mobile phone.Text: 07786 202242. Available 24 hours. This is a helpline which can advise how to support an individual until an appointment be made for assessment or treatment.

If the problem needs urgent attention: Contact the GP : General Practitioner (Medical Doctor) who will have facilities to deal with urgent cases and provide an out of hours service.

Out of hours’ help: The Samaritans offer a 24/7 confidential listening service: tel 116 123. They can also be emailed at: Website address, minicom 08457 90 91 92; or visit a branch to arrange a face-to-face meeting. (For Coventry Samaritans call 024 7667 8678 )Samaritans deal with a wide range of concerns and are totally confidential.

Saneline is open from 6pm to 11pm daily tel 0845 767 8000 (Charged at local rates) for support and information.

Private counselling: There is the option to arrange counselling privately. Counselling practitioners can be found as advertised or from a directory available from the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) telephone 0870 443 5252; website Another useful online directory can be found at alongside other resources related to accessing counselling. Counsellors working in private practice will charge a fee which may be negotiable. For Psychologists, website

Counselling via the NHS: Counselling is available through the NHS via your GP: General Practitioner (Medical Doctor). Some GP: General Practitioner (Medical Doctor) surgeries/health centres have counsellors attached to their practice. GPs may refer you to a Psychological Therapy Service within your local NHS trust, although there is likely to be a waiting list.

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) is an NHS primary care mental health service offering short term psychological interventions to support people experiencing common mental health difficulties such as stress, anxiety and depression.


Mental Heath and well being - useful website links:

Helping under 25's to find an appropriate source of support for any issue - on line search/messaging or free call/text

Life skills training:

Information on Mental health issues:

Information on urgent medical help:

Self help resources on a variety of issues:

A range of self help resources for mental health issues

Information and support for mental health issues:

Information and support for mental health issues:

Information on stress relief:

Samaritans Radar app to help people to identify when friends are in need of support (through social media) and to assist with providing this support

Mental Health Resources in Warwickshire:

Student specific Information:

Advice and information on depression and low mood:

General support and advice for students:

Advice on health and well being for students

Health question and answer site for students:


Counselling and support for a Specific Issue

There are many agencies which are dedicated to supporting people with specific concerns. Some organisations are national and have local branches; some are specific to areas or communities. (refer to telephone directories or other sources (including health centres) for local information).

Abuse (childhood): national information line 0800 085 3330 (9am-1pm Mon-Fri) which directs people to relevant counselling services in their area

Abuse (sexual) and rape: Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre 024 7627 7777 or Rape crisis Also local Sexual assault referral centre

Alcohol: national alcohol helpline Drinkline 0800 917 8282 (available Tues-Thurs 7am-11pm then Friday 7am through to Mon 11pm). Alcoholics anonymous or

Bereavement: For support with loss and death issues, Cruse is a national organisation with local branches. Tel 0844 477 9400 Young persons freephone helpline 0808 808 1677

Depression: for information and support on depression: or the student specific site

Domestic Violence and abuse: for emotional and practical support and advice in relation to dometic abuse issues

Drugs: national drugs helpline (available 24/7) 0800 776600

Eating Disorders: for information and support on any issues regarding eating distress: helpline: 01603 621414 also see

Phobias: For tel helpline 0870 122 2325

Relationships: ‘Relate’ offer a wide range of services for couples, families and individuals, supporting people though all stages of their relationships. The charge is on a sliding scale. Support (and counselling) is offered face to face, by phone or though the website:

Self Harming: For information and support on self-harming or or or


Resources available to students at Warwick:

Accommodation Office: ext 23772

Advice and Welfare Services at the Students' Union:ext 72824, email: or website

Careers: ext 75508 Please telephone to arrange an appointment with a Careers Advisor.

Chaplaincy: ext 23519

Counselling: ext 23761

Disability co-ordinators: Despina Weber and Kathryn Fisher on ext 73734 

The University's Mental Health Coordinators: Sarah Ashworth, Jenny Legge and Rebecca Deering are based in University House, Ground floor, near Disability Services; e-mail

Financial Advice: Contact the academic office or contact Vivienne Sykes (Student Funding Adviser) on 024 7657 2952 email, or Jacqui Allison (Student Funding Adviser) on 024 7652 2737 email or The University Students’ Union Advice Centre on 024 7657 3173 email

Health Centre: ext 24888

International Office: ext 23706

Nightline is an independent listening service open all night every night of term from 9pm to 9 am ext 22199, or 02476 417 668, or drop in at Rootes P-Block.
For more information on Nightline visit

Nursery: ext 23389

Personal tutor: The Personal Tutor system is in place to provide support with issues relating to academic matters, and the allocated Personal Tutor may also be able to sign post to other sources of help.

Senior Tutor: Stephen Lamb has overall responsibility for student welfare and the Personal Tutor system ext 75570 email For more information visit  

Sports Centre

Students Union


 Find us on Facebook








Listen to a podcast about Mental Health

Listen to a podcast about coping with depression and anxiety


You may like to view:

Alcohol Problems Advisory Service

British Pregnancy Advisory Service

Cruse Bereavement Care

Eating Disorders (b-eat)

Family Planning Association


Rape Crisis

Royal College of Psychiatrists -Mental Health information


Sane (Mental Health problems)

UK National AIDS Trust

University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire

Victim Support