- We specialise in Language Learning, Teaching and Assessment; Professional and Academic Discourse; and Working and Communicating across Cultures. Our MA ELT programmes attract qualified, trained and experienced teachers, as well as trainee teachers, lecturers and Ministry of Education staff from around the world. Our MSc programme attracts those wishing to develop an in-depth knowledge and skills relating to intercultural communication. Its distinctive feature is that it enables student to focus on aspects of intercultural communication that are relevant to people working in business or other professions such as NGO’s, diplomacy or education.
- You’ll be taught and supervised by academic staff at the forefront of debates in their field. Our academic staff have published widely across the fields of applied linguistics, English language teaching and intercultural communication, and presented papers at conferences in many different parts of the world (at last count, well over 30 countries). Our PhD students are also active in presenting and publishing their research, often in international peer-reviewed journals.
- The British Council’s Culture at Work Report (2013) stated: ‘Employers are under strong pressure to find employees who are not only technically proficient, but also culturally astute and able to thrive in a global world environment.’ Our degrees nurture these qualities, giving you a competitive advantage in the employment market.
Our graduates - destinations include:
- Lecturer and TESOL Co-ordinator, British University in Dubai
- Editor, Macmillan Education
- ESL Multimedia Materials Developer, HESS International
- Development Officer, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education
- Lecturer in Applied Linguistics, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
"In a way, I came back to Warwick as a result of my wonderful Master’s degree experience. Thanks to my tutors’ encouragement and support, I managed to secure a Warwick Postgraduate Research Scholarship to undertake my PhD studies. This new opportunity has allowed to me explore new academic opportunities in a dynamic, rigorous, and friendly environment. Thanks to CAL’s facilities, human capital and positive atmosphere I have been able to publish work, speak at conferences and explore some teaching in my department."
Dario Luis Banegas
PhD, Centre for Applied Linguistics