- We were ranked 1st overall for research excellence among all UK English departments in the most recent Research Excellence Framework evaluation (REF2014). We also rank among the top universities for English in the world in several surveys (22nd in the world and 5th in the UK in the QS World University Subject Rankings 2016 and 30th in Arts and Humanities in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015/16). We’re placed 12th in the UK by The Guardian in its 2016 league table.
- We are the base for the Warwick Writing Programme, which was voted No. 1 for Creative Writing in the UK by the The Times and The Sunday Times 2014 league table, and are home to prize-winning writers and distinguished literary translators.
- We have established strengths in most areas of literary and cultural studies, across poetry, theatre, the novel, and other media, from the medieval period to the present day, including British, European, American, and other world literatures -- especially Asian, African, South American and Caribbean literature. We are also recognised internationally for our expertise in literary and critical theory.
Our graduates — destinations include:
- Permanent lectureships at the Universities of Cambridge, Cardiff, Dublin, Durham, Exeter, Kent, Nottingham, York
- Assistant Professor, Ohio State University
- Research Fellow, University of Central Lancashire
- Institute Language Development Advisor, Warwickshire Local Education Authority
- Chief Events and Marketing Coordinator, Student Heart Health Trust
- Editor, Literary Studies, Pickering and Chatto
- Editor, Geography and Science, I. B. Tauris Publishers
- Self-employed Writer/Workshop Facilitator/ Trainer
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Irish Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowships
- IAS Fellowships
James Christie explains his PhD in English Literature in 60 seconds.
Want to know more?
You may also be interested in:
Looking for funding?