We are working with Coventry City Council on improvements to Gibbet Hill Road to improve road safety for pedestrians, improve traffic flow through junctions and ease congestion. These changes were agreed with both Coventry City Council and Warwick District Council in 2009 as part of our Masterplan.
Coventry City Council are hosting two drop in sessions to find out more:
Tuesday 29 April, 3.30pm-7pm
Xcel Centre, Mitchell Avenue
Thursday 15 May, 3.30pm-7pm
University House, University of Warwick, Kirby Corner Road
The work is split into 5 phases:
- phase 1 at the A45/Kenilworth Road junction has been completed;
- phase 2 begins in May to improve the Mitchell Avenue/Charter Avenue roundabout;
- phase 3 which includes a number of changes to Gibbet Hill Road is due to start after 23 June.
Phase 3: Gibbet Hill Road
The phase 3 works to Gibbet Hill Road will include:
- changing the Gibbet Hill Road/ Kenilworth Road/Stoneleigh Road junction to a roundabout
- installing a new roundabout at the junction between University Road and Gibbet Hill Road by the Arts Centre. This will allow traffic to enter campus there as well as at the Scarman Road/Gibbet Hill Road/ University Road roundabout
- reducing the width of the Scarman Road/Gibbet Hill Road/University Road roundabout to improve safety and pedestrian access
- installing a dedicated right turn lane into Gibbet Hill campus
- creating a new bus interchange by the Arts Centre to increase capacity and provide space for five buses at any one time
- traffic calming measures including a raised table adjacent to Radcliffe House and introduction of a 20mph speed zone
The most disruptive parts of the work will take place during the University's summer vacation.