The Department offer an MPhil and PhD by individual research, within the areas of expertise of the teaching staff.
Strong priorities are:
- Film and television aesthetics;
- European and other national cinemas (including their popular dimension);
- Representation and identity, and issues of gender;
- British television history.
In addition to individual supervision, MA by research/MPhil/PhD students have access to:
- Study Skills Training
- University and Faculty training (e.g. computer, language skills).
- University and departmental resources.
- Auditing of one or more MA courses.
- Teaching opportunities, where feasible.
- The Department's Research Seminar series.
- The Department's Postgraduate Methods Reading Group
- The Postgraduate Research Group, a venue for sharing and discussing research and ideas in a friendly, informal atmosphere with other postgraduates.
Teaching Staff and Areas of Expertise
|José Arroyo||National and sexual identity in the media; Spanish cinema; Hollywood/Action Cinema; Canadian and Quebécois cinemas|
|Charlotte Brunsdon||Cinema and the city; British film and television; spaces of film and television|
Silent cinema; British cinema; Hollywood cinema
|Catherine Constable||Philosophy and film; feminist film theory; film adaptation
|Stephen Gundle||Italian film history; politics and the media; the history of glamour
|John King||(Comparative American Studies): Latin American literature and film|
|James MacDowell||Hollywood cinema, American independent cinema, Film aesthetics, Film narrative, Romantic comedy|
|Rachel Moseley||Gender in Popular Film and Television; film stars; women's television; factual entertainment|
Video Art and Experimental Film; Projection; Sound; Film and Architecture.
Film history and aesthetics; French cinema; Japanese cinema; contemporary world cinema; Hollywood in its European contexts
Film theory; art cinema; realism; the photographic image; political cinema; queer theory
|Helen Wheatley||Television history and aesthetics; television drama; popular genres in television and film; British television; factual entertainment|