Absolute beginners only. This module is offered to students with no prior knowledge of Portuguese.
Please note, final year students are not normally permitted to take non-accelerated beginners modules.
The primary aim of the modules is to enable students to communicate effectively at a basic level in everyday situations for a work or study placement in a Portuguese-speaking country.
30 CREDITS, also available for 24 CREDITS.
One 2-hour language class each week for 21 weeks.
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore the minimum expected amount of study is 240 hours, which averages over 10 hours per week. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required. Students can make use of Languages@Warwick (a virtual learning environment) to facilitate this.
- Português XXI, 1 Nova Edição (Student and exercise book pack), by Ana Tavares, Lidel, ISBN: 978-972-7-57934-1
- Gramática Ativa 1 – by Isabel Coimbra and Olga Mata Coimbra, Lidel, ISBN: 978-972-757638-8
Recommended: English-Portuguese dictionary
These books can be purchased from the University Bookshop, telephone: (024) 7652 3388.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- apply a basic knowledge of grammar appropriate to the level
- apply strategies for understanding gist and specific information
- have insight into everyday life in the relevant countries
- recognise familiar words and phrases when spoken slowly
- understand short texts in the target language, dealing with everyday material
- write short simple texts, including personal details
- interact at a basic level, and ask and answer questions on familiar topics
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1 Basic user (breakthrough) of the Common European Framework.
The syllabus will include the following:
This module will cover items such as: greetings, introductions, asking for and giving personal information, asking for and giving directions, describing people and places, daily routine, likes and dislikes and ordering food.
This module will provide an introduction to fundamental features of Portuguese and essencial basic structures, making it possible to function in a range of everyday situations using the present tense.
The primary aim of these modules is to enable students to communicate effectively at a basic level in everyday situations for a work or study placement in a Portuguese-speaking country.
Equally important aims are to help students acquire a basic reading knowledge of texts in Portuguese, to introduce them to Portuguese grammar and syntax and to familiarise students with essential reading techniques that will support further independent study of the written language.
Successful completion of Portuguese 1 qualifies students to progress to Portuguese 2.
- Important Notes
- Languages@Warwick online support
- Speaking Examinations Information for Students
- Test/exam marks in the Language Centre
- Grammar Skills
Exam summary and Skills weighting: Assessment beginners
Marking criteria (written): Marking Criteria (written) levels 1 and 2
European Marking criteria (oral): Marking criteria (oral) levels 1 and 2