You are a complete beginner, knowing virtually nothing of the language.
You will develop competence in a range of predictable simple everyday language tasks. The course will provide a very basic knowledge of the structure and vocabulary of the language.
Please read our Can-do Statements (link on the right of this page) to see the competences which you will be working towards and can achieve by the end of the year.
1 x 2 hour class per week plus some independent learning.
Willkommen! German Beginner's Course, Paul Coggle and Heiner Schenke; Hodder Arnold, ISBN: 9781444165159
A copy can be purchased from the University Bookshop, telephone: (024) 7652 3388.
Based on a step-by-step approach, the course is divided into learning blocks each of which focuses on practical, useful and manageable language.
Every lesson will start with revision from the previous week. Homework will be given.
Chapters 1-6 of Willkommen!, covers the following:
- Talking about oneself and one's family;
- Talking about work and study;
- Talking about hobbies and leisure activities;
- Talking about likes and dislikes;
- Ordering food and drinks;
- Buying groceries;
- Asking and giving prices;
- Talking about time;
- Talking about daily routines;
- Booking a hotel room
- Making appointments;
- Verb conjugation;
- Present tense;
- Definite and indefinite articles;
- Question words;
- Word order;
- Personal pronouns;
- Negation with "nicht" and "kein";
- Possessive adjectives;
- Accusative case;
- Separable verbs;
- Modal verbs.
- listening, speaking, reading and writing.