You are a complete beginner, knowing virtually nothing of the language.
Please read our Can-do Statements (link on the right of this page) to see the competences which you will be working towards and can achieve by the end of the year.
1 x 2 hour class per week plus some independent learning.
Português XXI, 1 Nova Edição (Student and exercise book pack), Ana Tavares, Lidel
the below book may also be of interest to you, should you wish to purchase it:
Gramática Ativa 1, Versão Brasileira, Isabel Coimbra et al, Lidel ISBN: 978-972-757-931-0
A copy can be purchased from the University Bookshop.
You will develop competence in a range of predictable simple everyday language tasks. The course will provide a very basic knowledge of the structure and vocabulary of the language.
- Different forms of greetings;
- descriptions: people, places, and things;
- introducing yourself (nationality, occupation, age);
- talking about daily occurrences;
- expressing opinions, plans, preferences;
- talking about free time and daily routine;
- talking about plans;
- talking about likes, dislikes and hobbies;
- ordering things;
- giving instructions;
- maps, cities, and directions;
- talking about past situations;
- traditions and celebrations;
- talking about the future;
- professional experience.
- The alphabet;
- subject pronouns;
- definite and indefinite articles;
- verbs: ser, estar, ir, and ter;
- affirmative, negative, and interrogative sentences;
- present tense (regular and irregular verbs);
- prepositions: time, movement, place;
- interrogative words;
- reflexive verbs and pronouns;
- expressing future actions: ir + infinitive;
- imperative (regular and irregular verbs);
- preterit tense(regular and irregular verbs);
- direct and indirect object pronouns;
- andar a + infinitive;
- costumar + infinitive;
- relative pronouns;
- listening, speaking, reading and writing.