The Warwick Institute of Advanced Study (IAS), established in 2007, is dedicated to enriching the University’s research environment by supporting Warwick academics, hosting a number of international visitors and enhancing the experience of postgraduate students and early career scholars.
Over the past nine years, the IAS has become an important part of the University, representing all faculties and departments, supporting collaboration across disciplines and representing Warwick both nationally and internationally.
Since its foundation and the appointment of Professor Margot Finn as its first Director (2007 - 09), the Institute has supported innovative research here at Warwick and interdisciplinary collaborations across all our faculties. This mission was continued by subsequent directors Professors Hilary Marland (2009 - 11), Richard Aldrich (2011 - 14) and Giorgio Riello (2014 - present day). In the past few years, the IAS has expanded its postdoctoral community and widened engagement with a number of Warwick’s strategically important projects.
We currently fulfil these aims by:
- Enhancing opportunities for international scholars to engage with Warwick
- Fostering new collaborative research groups at a national and international level
- Promoting interdisciplinary research across all faculties
- Enriching the research environment for postgraduate students and early career researchers
- Supporting public engagement and research impact activities nationally and internationally
- Engaging with projects of strategic importance to the University