Joe was born in Worcestershire in 1990, and has lived in Bewdley, Worcestershire, most of his life. Attending Bewdley High Scool and Sixth Form Centre for GCSEs and A-Levels, he then completed his undergraduate in Biology at Aberystwyth University (2010-2013). Joe finished top of his class, obtaining a First Class Honours with a couple of accolades including best dissertation project in the faculty, and a nomination for the international Science, Engineering and Technology student of the year awards. This spurred him on to pursue a career in science through a PhD.
Joe was accepted into the final cohort of the Molecular Organisation and Assembly in Cells DTC here at Warwick, completing the Masters year in the graduating class of 2014. He has now progressed to the PhD and is completing his studies jointly supervised by Matt Gibson and Nick Waterfield (Warwick Medical School's Microbiology and Infection Unit)
Being an interdisciplinary centre, MOAC has broadened Joe's research interests into bioorthogonal chemistry and structural protein engineering among others. Being a biologist by training, Joe's primary interests lie in molecular and synthetic biology. His PhD exploits all of these interests and more. Joe's project aims to exploit a naturally occurring proteinaceous 'nano-syringe', discovered by his co-supervisor Nick Waterfield, deployed by an insect and occaisional human bacterial pathogen. It is a naturally evolved system for delivering toxins and modulating molecules into the cytoplasm of eukaryotic cells, and is a prime candidate for exploitation as a novel drug delivery system.
More information can be found on Joe's own MOAC website.
Since my undergraduate degree I have been a member of a number of different societies. These include:
- The Royal Society of Biology - Member
- The Society for Applied Microbiology - Full Student Membership
- The Society of General Microbiology - Postgraduate Membership
- The British Society for Nanomedicine - Scientific Membership
- The Biochemical Society - Postgraduate Membership
Conferences Attended and Presentations/Posters
- Warwick Inter-DTC Conference, University of Warwick
- Oxford Interdisciplinary Inter-DTC [id]2 conference, Oxford University
- MOAC Annual Conference and 10 Year Anniversary, Stratford-upon-Avon YHA
- Society of General Microbiology Annual Conference, Birmingham ICC
- MOAC Annual Conference, Wilderhope Manor YHA Shropsire -- (Poster Prize)
- Imperial College Inter-DTC Conference, Imperial College London
- British Society for Nanomedicine and Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences Workshop, Nottingham University
- 2nd Midlands Molecular Microbiology Meeting ("M4"), Nottingham University
- Warwick Inter-DTC Conference, University of Warwick -- (Poster Prize) -- (Organised and attended)
- MOAC Annual Conference, Derwentwater YHA -- (Poster Prize)
- Society for Invertebrate Pathology Annual International Conference, Tours, France
- BioStars Biotechnology Start-Up Accelerator Program, Oxford University -- Finalists
- Genesis 2016 Biotechnology Partnering Event & Fringe Events, London, UK.
- Society of General Microbiology Annual Conference, Edinburgh National Conference Centre
- Warwick Chemistry Department Postgraduate Symposium, University of Warwick -- (Best Talk Prize)
J dot R dot J dot Healey at warwick dot ac dot uk
Aberystwyth University (2010-13):
B.Sc. Biology - 1st Class (Hons)
University of Warwick (2013-14):
M.Sc. Mathematical Biology and Biophysical Chemistry -Merit
I maintain a twitter bot for the group that shares interesting papers we've published, and those of related topics.
Go and follow @GibsonGroupBot!