Skip to main content

Meeting Minutes 2016/17

Project Meeting Minutes 5

  • Date: Thursday, 3 November 2016

  • Time: 10am – 11am

  • Location: D Block Extension, Engineering Building

  • Attendance: Dr Michael Chappell, Dr Neil Evans (Supervisor), David Wilders (Leader), Shuen Lim (Minutes), Laura Sparks, Tosin Sorunke, Disath David, Tom Stock

Agenda
  • Approval of previous meetings minutes

  • Review of action from previous meeting

    • Project aim

    • BSREC applications update

    • Social media presence

    • Modelling effect of rocker soles variation

    • Tekscan

  • Gait Lab queries

    • Reading the output files

    • Using the data

  • Hospital presentation 10th November 2016

    • General questions

General Discussion
  • Discussed about the Gantt chart created by Laura.

    • Shows the rough timeline to start making orthotics as well as the other deadlines for the project

    • Dr Neil Evan’s advice is to try and complete all experimentation before Easter holidays. Try not to use the gait lab during the holidays unless exceptional case

    • Can start working on the report style and formatting, then it would be easier to combine the different parts together at the end. Proofreading is also important and do not plagiarise.

  • Tom discussed about the aim of the project

    • Aim→ To experimentally and theoretically investigate the effect if different rocker soles on the lower leg, and therefore be able to design and manufacture orthotics specific to the person tested which reduces the dorsiflexion of the ankle, the force experienced by the Achilles' tendon and the muscle activity in around the Achilles tendon.

    • Could try to link it to some disease groups and quantify how many can people be helped.

    • Come up with a snappy title instead of just using the one giving to us to make it more focused.

  • Shuen shared about the progress of the BSREC applications.

    • Dr Neil Evans will follow up and provide his feedback on the forms.

    • To amend the types of participants taking part in the study to members of the university (various age groups)

  • Social media - Facebook & Instagram

    • Send link to supervisors when it is officially online.

  • Modelling effect of rocker soles variation

    • David found that the link between rocker profile and effect hardly explored and that there has only been one study prior to 2012

  • Exporting of Gait Lab data

    • Data should be exported to a .csv file, make sure to choose the correct pipeline and set parameters

    • .c3d file can be read in Matlab

  • Work has been split up into mathematical modelling and prototyping and designing. If any of the sub groups have free time, it was suggested that we start working on the report (formatting, references, literature review)

  • Dr Michael Chappell has links with the foot group made up mostly podiatrists at the University Hospital Coventry. We will be attending the meeting on 10 November at 9.30am for a 10-minute presentation to receive some feedback from a medical perspective.

    • Presentation slides are good to discuss our aims and objectives of the project.

    • Find out more about what are the more common foot problems or medical conditions/disorders involving the gait cycle.

    • Located at Clinical Sciences Building

Coventry University Hospital site
  • There may be a meeting with Dr Steven Hutchins next week (week 6). Will need to be finalised with Dr Neil Evans again.

Work to be done before next meeting

  • All to attend the Gait Lab session booked for Friday (4 Nov) at 1pm and Tuesday (8 Nov) at 11am to familiarise the group with the equipment and software and conduct trial experiments.

  • Tekscan training session with PhD student on Tuesday (8 Nov) at 11am.

  • Shuen will continue to follow up on the Biomedical & Scientific Research Ethics Committee (BSREC) application

  • Find types of rocker soles to model - David

  • Project Aim - Tom

  • Social Media - Shuen, Disath

  • Engineering website - Tosin

  • Can we model material in MATLAB - Laura

  • Model mechanically in MATLAB - Laura

  • Start on Presentation - Disath

Next Meeting

  • Date: Thursday, 10 November 2016

  • Time: 9.30am

  • Location: University Hospital Coventry Clinical Sciences Building

  • Note: Dr Mike Chappell will not be around for meeting on 10 November.



Project Meeting Minutes 4

  • Date: Thursday, 27 October 2016

  • Time: 10am – 11am

  • Location: D Block Extension, Engineering Building

  • Attendance: Dr Michael Chappell, Dr Neil Evans (Supervisor), Shuen Lim (Minutes), David Wilders, Tosin Sorunke, Disath David, Tom Stock

  • Apologies for absence: Laura Sparks

Agenda
  • Approval of previous meetings minutes

  • Follow up on Gait Lab session on Tuesday at 12pm

  • Project Plan with rough timeline.

  • Tosin will discuss about access to the University of Warwick Engineering department website to upload our research for prospective students.

  • Shuen will discuss the BSREC application.

  • Laura will discuss how to conduct signal filtering and processing of EMG signals.

  • Tom, Disath and David will go through their research on the different rocker soles designs and more recent papers written by Stephen Hutchins or his PHD student

General Discussion
  • Discussed about the Gantt chart created by Laura.


Estimated Project Timeline

  • Discussion about the end goal of the project

    • Overview → designing a process by which after inviting a subject for testing in a gait lab, and the data collected is analysed, we can design and manufacture an orthoses model that helps to improve their gait/bring relief to their medical deficiencies

      • Subsets → (i) Mathematical modelling, (ii) Prototyping and manufacturing, (iii) Improving medical condition

    • Main Aim

      • Participant comes in with some deficiencies to correct

      • Collect the motion capture data and EMG signals

      • Put data into math model and come up with solution to correct deficiencies with some form of guidelines.

      • Optimatisation, prototyping and manufacture

    • Things to consider

      • Actually there is no optimal design, the word “optimal” is hard to define. Optimal design is hard to come up, but its possible to do it with a range of parameters.

      • Even though u can manufacture a type of shoes from the maths model but ultimately it cannot be proven to be able to work unless the participant actually stands on orthoses and wear and tear of the shoes need to be taken into account

      • Materials used to make the soles/shoes would affect the shape

        • Dr Mike Chappell suggested looking at spongy material or even look at Dr. Martens AirWair boots.

        • When looking at the materials, it is important to look at the interaction between the ground and shoe; and feet and shoe. Should have cushioning effect.

  • Tosin has access to the webpage and will be updating the website when we have finalised our aims and objectives

    • We are considering creating a Facebook page for publicity and to get volunteers. The page will be updated once a month.

  • Shuen shared about the progress of the BSREC applications.

    • BSREC Course Delegated Approval Form to be filled up with all 6 of the group members names and details.

    • He will be sending Dr Neil Evans the BSREC forms and documents for review before the next meeting.

  • Disath mentioned the topic of pre-test trials to assess the participant’s medical conditions.

    • Dr Neil Evans gave us advice to think about if the pre-tests would add value to the project. If so, the ethics needs to be updated and if it doesn’t add any value, then it would be unnecessary.

  • Muscles sub-group shared their findings and direction for the project

    • Discussed the trial experiments involving the EMG system and the 3 rocker soles present in the gait lab.

    • Found the Instruction manual for the EMG system in the Gait Lab. Pads used for EMG were collected from Dr Michael Chappell. Tape used for markers were also collected from Dr Neil Evans.

    • Dr Neil Evans advised us to watch the YouTube video link from the ES97E module webpage to have a better understanding of the basic structure of muscles and what they do.

    • David mentioned that he found some research papers stating that there was more muscle activity observed with rocker soles, than without.


  • Joints sub-group shared their findings and direction for the project

    • Tom shared that based on the thesis from Dr Steven Hutchins’ PHD student, he found that there were many parameters involved when measuring the joint apex angle and positions; and that he only focused his thesis on the front of the feet.

    • Tom also mentioned how in the thesis it was found that one design was better than other; and some shoes reduce motion, putting more pressure on the Achilles

      • Dr Michael Chappell mentioned that it would be great if we could come up with some sort of criteria where we can work out the critical value or optimal design.

      • Working on the lines of dynamics of vibrations, shape linked with mathematical function, constraints and Lagrangian formulae.

    • Dr Michael Chappell said it is important how we relate the parameters for rocker soles to the gait parameters.

    • Dr Neil Evans will be giving a lecture for ES97E which teaches how to create a planar model of the foot, then linking it to a kinetic model for shape of the foot.

    • David mentioned that his research has found that knee and hips were minimally affected for rocker soles. He also talked about the inversion and eversion of the foot, where more inversion led to more instability in the frontal plane.

  • Dr Michael Chappell has links with the foot group made up mostly podiatrists at the University Hospital Coventry. We should be attending the meeting on 10 November at 9.30am for a 10-minute presentation to receive some feedback from a medical perspective.

  • There may be a meeting with Dr Steven Hutchins in December after term ends. Will need to be finalised with Dr Neil Evans again.

Work to be done before next meeting
  • All to attend the Gait Lab session booked for Friday (28 Oct) at 2pm and Tuesday (1 Nov) at 12pm to familiarise the group with the equipment and software and conduct trial experiments.

  • Shuen will send the Biomedical & Scientific Research Ethics Committee (BSREC) application before the next meeting on Thursday (3 Nov)

  • Project leader for November will be David Wilders

  • Find types of rocker soles to model - David

  • Project Aim - Tom

  • Instagram Account - Shuen

  • Website - Tosin

  • Facebook - Disath

  • Can we model material in MATLAB - Laura

  • Model mechanically in MATLAB - Laura

  • Start on Presentation - Disath

Next Meeting
  • Date: Thursday, 3 November 2016

  • Time: 10am – 11am

  • Location: D Block Extension, Engineering Building

  • Note: Dr Mike Chappell will not be around for meetings on 3 November and 10 November.


Project Meeting Minutes 3

  • Date: Thursday, 20 October 2016

  • Time: 10am – 11am

  • Location: D Block Extension, Engineering Building

  • Attendance: Dr Michael Chappell, Dr Neil Evans (Supervisor), Laura Sparks (Leader), Shuen Lim (Minutes), David Wilders, Tosin Sorunke, Disath David, Tom Stock

Agenda
  • Approval of previous meetings minutes

  • Review of action from previous meeting

  • Papers written by Stephen Hutchins

  • Project Plan with rough timeline

  • Work done by Salts Techstep

  • Muscle activation with rocker soles.

  • Modelling of muscles in lower body

  • Using both EMG and Nexus to show human muscle activity and compare it with a modelled version of muscles using springs etc.

  • Determine the relationship between different rocker soles and muscle activity or leg extensions.

  • Reducing Joint movement with Rocker Soles:

  • Which medical conditions benefit from reduced joint movement (specifically ankle)

  • Methodology to find personalised rocker sole for lowest movement and force on ankle (different radius from ankle/knee/hip)

  • How to access online webpage

General Discussion
  • Draft project plan should be finalised after the Gait Lab session on Tuesday, 25 October, the group will familiarise ourselves with the functions of the equipment and software.

  • Research on Birmingham based company specialising in custom made orthoses (Salts Techstep).

    • The company mainly used rocker soles for diabetic patients.

    • Was unable to find their methodology for testing

    • Tools used to make rocker soles were rudimentary (e.g. bandsaws, etc)

    • Will call company to find out more and ask for advice when project direction is finalised.

    • Dr Michael Chappell mentioned that the company uses gait lab analysis but is not a fundamental part in their methodology. it is more for empirical purposes.

  • Muscles sub-group shared their findings and direction for the project

    • Discussed the trial experiments involving the EMG system and the 3 rocker soles present in the gait lab.

    • Instruction manual for the EMG system should be available in the EMG box or can be sourced online. Pads used for EMG can be collected from Dr Michael Chappell.

    • Also presented the idea of using both EMG and Nexus to show biological muscle activity and compare it with a modelled version of muscles to determine the relationship between different rocker soles and muscle activity or leg extensions.

    • Dr Neil Evans mentioned several things to note when modelling the lower limb of the body. Dampers could also be used on top of springs. It is also important to consider non-linear entities and active links. More information could be found on the ES97E module web page.

    • Dr Michael Chappell brought up the topic on techniques used to analyse the EMG signals. He proposed looking into spectral analysis of signals, signal filtering and making use of codes for processing. He will be passing us a report on this topic.

  • Joints sub-group shared their findings and direction for the project

    • Will be looking into Achilles tendon and arthritis medical conditions to see how rocker soles can help reduce ankle dorsal flexion and reduce motion of the joints.

    • Will also look at how to reduce the ankle power generation during foot stance and foot off.

    • The end goal is to come up with experiments to look at Achilles tendons and arthritis in terms on ankle fusion and limiting motion; and coming up with a model.

    • Dr Neil Evans talked about the availability of pressure management systems to calculate the plantar pressure distribution. This system, TekScan, involves placing a pressure sensor between the foot and the inside of the shoe. However, only normal forces can be attained.

    • Dr Michael Chappell advised the group to look at the paper “Use of a 3-curved rocker sole shoe modification to improve intermittent claudication calf pain”

  • Neil has arranged to send the previous year’s Biomedical & Scientific Research Ethics Committee (BSREC) application and the design philosophy of previous projects.

  • With regards to the project web page, access for the web page could be found on ES410 module web page or could be requested from Dr Dave Britnell.

  • Look into the possibility of creating a Facebook page or Twitter feed to promote project and gain publicity.

  • Dr Michael Chappell has links with the foot group made up mostly podiatrists at the University Hospital Coventry. He suggested that we attend one of the meetings on 10 November at 9.30am for a 10 minute presentation to receive some feedback from a medical perspective.

Work to be done before next meeting
  • All to attend the Gait Lab session booked for Tuesday at 12pm to familiarise the group with the equipment and software.

  • Project Plan with rough timeline.

  • Tosin will email Dr Dave Britnell for access to the University of Warwick Engineering department website to upload our research for prospective students.

  • Shuen will follow up on the Biomedical & Scientific Research Ethics Committee (BSREC) application.

  • Laura will look at how to conduct signal filtering and processing of EMG signals.

  • Tom, Disath and David will research on the different rocker soles designs and more recent papers written by Stephen Hutchins or his PHD student

Next Meeting
  • Date: Thursday, 27 October 2016

  • Time: 10am – 11am

  • Location: D Block Extension, Engineering Building


Project Meeting Minutes 2

  • Date: Tuesday, 18 October 2016.

  • Time: 12pm – 1pm.

  • Location: Engineering Common Room, Engineering Building.

  • Attendance: Laura Sparks (Leader), Shuen Lim, David Wilders, Tosin Sorunke (Minutes), Disath David, Tom Stock.

Agenda
  • (Revised) Proposal of two focus areas: joint movements (Tom, David, Laura); muscle activation (Disath, Shuen, Tosin).

General Discussion
  • Discussion of findings from research group: summarised in week 3 agenda.

  • A Gait Laboratory session should be booked for next week’s group meeting.

  • Conclusion of research into muscle activation: a major limitation of investigating muscles using EMG is that it is difficult to isolate muscles to study. However further, practical, research should be carried out, using the Gait Laboratory to better understand muscle activation; the muscle activation subgroup is to meet to discuss how to achieve this using the Gait Laboratory.

  • Research into joint movement strongly supports rocker soles as particularly useful in treatment for arthritis and Achilles’ tendon issues; the joint movement subgroup is to explore the method with which to achieve minimal movement of and minimal force on the ankle.

  • To determine the direction of the project, the two new areas will be presented to project supervisors during the next project meeting.

Questions to Neil & Mike
  • Ask Neil about accessing the University of Warwick Engineering department website to upload our research for prospective students.

Work to be done before next meeting
  • Muscle activation subgroup to meet to discuss experiments to investigate muscle activation based using EMG in the Gait Laboratory.

  • Attend the second Gait Lab training with Neil on at 9am Thursday.

  • Continue investigation of papers written by Stephen Hutchins.

  • Book Gait Laboratory session for between 24th-26th October 2016.

  • Further investigation into the work done by Salts Techstep.

Next Meeting
  • Date: Thursday, 20 October 2016.

  • Time: 10am – 11am.

  • Location: D Block Extension, Engineering Building.


Project Meeting Minutes 1

  • Date: Thursday, 13 October 2016

  • Time: 10am – 11am

  • Location: D Block Extension, Engineering Building

  • Attendance: Dr Michael Chappell, Dr Neil Evans (Supervisor), Laura Sparks (Leader), Shuen Lim (Minutes), David Wilders, Tosin Sorunke, Disath David, Tom Stock

Agenda
  • Proposal of 2 focus areas: Correcting gait/Finding the ideal gait (Tom, Disath, Laura) ; Reducing/evenly out the plantar pressure for diabetic subjects (David, Shuen, Tosin).

  • Proposal to be revised.

General Discussion
  • Correcting gait/Finding an ideal gait is too broad and very specific to individual needs. Not an appropriate direction for the project.

  • Reducing/evenly out the plantar pressure for diabetic subjects: High volatility. Difficult to measure and each person has very different pressures. Rocker sole may not be best solution.

  • Benefits of orthotics on how they can cure medical conditions or diseases

  • Discussed on the importance of having an end goal, where the project can show how an insole/rocker sole can reduce the percentage of a certain measurement.

  • A more appropriate direction may be aiming to take load off certain joints, stopping motion in frontal pain or looking at certain muscle activation (making use of the EMG system)

  • To look at the 3 clinical pairs of rocker shoes currently in the Gait Lab and those off the shelf shoes to do an initial comparison. Can look at variability between different days etc. This will allow the group members to be more exposed to the Gait Lab equipment and software.

  • Neil has arranged to send the previous year’s Biomedical & Scientific Research Ethics Committee (BSREC) application and the design philosophy of previous projects.

  • There is a Birmingham based company specialising in custom made orthoses (Salts Techstep). Should research their products and methods.

  • There is a project web page which should be updated as the project advances to inform potential project students about the project in more depth as well as our progression this year.

Questions to Neil & Mike
  • What is the rough timeline for the project?

A project plan is to be submitted or discussed sometime within the next few weeks. Poster is to be submitted by Term 2 and the final project report to be submitted in Term 3

  • Is it possible to look at insoles instead of rocker soles?

Yes, it is possible to look at a combination of both the rocker soles and insoles if it can better treat the medical condition.

Work to be done before next meeting
  • Everyone to have completed their section of research by the next group meeting.

  • Attend the second Gait Lab training with Neil on either Tuesday or Thursday, both at 9am. Recommended for as many people as possible to attend.

  • Papers written by Stephen Hutchins.

  • Project Plan with rough timeline.

  • Look at the work done by Salts Techstep

  • Find out how to get access to the University of Warwick Engineering department website to upload our research for prospective students.

Next Meeting
  • Date: Thursday, 20 October 2016

  • Time: 10am – 11am

  • Location: D Block Extension, Engineering Building