My current research interests lie in the development of energy storage and fuel cell systems, with an emphasis on organic flow batteries and mathematical and computational modelling. This is a challenging area given the complexity of fuel cell/battery models (highly nonlinear PDEs, consitutive laws, complex geometries, multiple scales and the high number of influential parameters, many of which are subject to uncertainty, along with many of the modelling assumptions).
Surrogate-assisted approaches to modelling are often essential given the high computational cost of 'high-fidelity' models incorporating mass, charge, momentum and energy conservation in multiple layers with disparate length scales. The specific challenges I am interetsed in related to:
- Emulating spatio-temporal data (e.g., electrical/ionic potentialand reactant concentration fields in two or three dimensions. This leads to very high dimensional output spaces
- Incorporating multiple parameter dependence in predictive surrogate models - overcoming the 'curse of dimensionality'
- Applications of surrogate models to uncertainty quantification, sensitivity analysis and design optimization
I have worked closely with industrial collaborators to develop, validate and exploit models to inform the design of fuel cells and batteries - Ballard Power Systems, Johnson Matthey, ACAL Energy, C-Tech Innovation.
My past research interests have included porous solid combustion, flame theory, detonations and applied analysis.
- Prof Prasanth Nair (University of Toronto)
- Dr P.C. Sui, Wuhan University of Technology
- Prof Edilso Reguera (Centro de Investigación en Ciencia Aplicada y Tecnología Avanzada, Instituto Politecnico Nacional CICATA-IPN)
- Prof Frank Walsh, Dr Richard Wills, Dr Carlos Ponce de leon (University of Southampton)
- 1995 BSc Mathematical Physics (First Class), University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) (merged with University of Manchester)
- 1996-1997 Trainee Chartered Accountant, Brebner, Allen & Trapp, London
- 2001 PhD Applied Mathematics, UMIST
- 2001 - 2004, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Leeds (Applied Mathematics Department/Department of Fuel and Energy)
- 2004 - 2007, Postdoctoral Researcher, Simon Fraser University (Mathematics Department), Vancouver, Canada.
- 2007 - June 2011, Lecturer in Energy Technologies, School of Engineering Sciences, University of Southampton
- June 2011 - Oct 2011, Senior Lecturer, School of Engineering Sciences, University of Southampton
- Oct 2011 - Associate Professor, School of Engineering, University of Warwick
- 2015-present - Reader, School of Engineering, University of Warwick
Current Group Members
- Dr David Crevillen Garcia (postdoc)
- Mr Wei Xing (PhD/Research Assistant)
- Mr Charles Gadd (PhD), co-supervised with Dr Sarah Wade (Statistics)Vasilis Triantafyllidis (PhD)
- Mr Hu Yuan (PhD), co-supervised with Dr Weisi Guo (Engineering)
- Ms Aygün Çalı (Research Assistant, Erasmus)
- Dr Hussein Osman (PhD/postdoc)
- Dr Ziauddin Ursani (postdoc)
- Dr Blanca Zamora (PhD/postdoc)
- Dr Randhir Singh (postdoc)
- Dr Atif Khan (PhD)
- Hassan Al-Fetlawi (PhD)
- Ravi Tangirala (PhD)
- Abdulwahid Al-Hajjaj (PhD)