Dr Behrouz Zafari is currently employed within the Department of Civil Engineering at Kingston University. He is the Director of Undergraduate Studies in Civil Engineering, and a Lecturer in Structural Engineering and Construction Management. Prior to joining Kingston he was a Research Fellow/Part-time Lecturer in the Civil Research Group, at the University of Warwick where he completed his PhD. His PhD research project aimed to engineer the Structural analysis and Design of the Startlink Lightweight Building System that is the first all fibre reinforced polymer building for a code level 6 (zero carbon) house unit. Startlink project was sponsored by the UK Government and Industrial Partners. In parallel with his structural engineering research for the Startlink project there was fundamental research on the determination of pin-bearing strength for the design of the bolted connections.
Behrouz received his First Class BSc degree in Civil Engineering from his Home country (Iran). After eight years of experience in different aspects of Civil Engineering he moved to London. He obtained his MSc in Civil Engineering Structures from City University London in 2008, with the dissertation on Plastic Analysis of Stiffened Plates.
He has been working on several EPSRC and TSB projects including "Connections and Joints for Building and Bridges of Fibre Reinforced Polymer". His research interests include Pultruded Fibre-Reinforced Polymer (PFRP) structures, novel methods of connection with FRP materials and low impact building systems.
ES429 Advanced Structural Engineering (Masters-level module)
- Zafari Behrouz,Qureshi Jawed, Mottram J. Toby, Rusev Rusi,'Static and fatigue performance of resin injected bolts for a slip and fatigue resistantconnection in FRP bridge engineering, Structuers, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.istruc.2016.05.004
- S. A. Grammatikos, M. C. Evernden, J. M. Mitchels, B. Zafari, J. T. Mottram and,G. C. Papanicolaou,'On the response to hygrothermal aging of pultruded FRPs used in the civil engineering sector,'Materials and Design (accepted), DOI: 10.1016/j.matdes.2016.02.026.
- S. A. Grammatikos, B. Zafari, M. C. Evernden, J. T. Mottram and J. M. Mitchels, ‘Moisture uptake characteristics of a pultruded flat sheet fibre reinforced polymer material subjected to hot/wet aging,’ Polymer Degradation and Stability, (2015), DOI: 10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2015.10.001.
- Zafari, B. and MottramJ. T., (peer-reviewed). 'Characterization of a pultruded fibre reinforced polymer flat sheet material after hot-wet conditioning,' in Proceedings 7th International Conference on Advanced Composites in Construction (ACIC 2015), 9-11 September 2015, NetComposites Ltd., Chesterfield, UK, 103-108.
- Zafari, B. and MottramJ. T., (peer-reviewed). 'On the mechanical characterisation of pultruded fibre reinforced plate material subjected to hygrothermal aging,' Proceedings 20th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM 20), 19-24 July 2015, Durability, Creep and Aggressive Environment 4, Paper 150701-3561, pp. 11.
- Qureshi, J., Zafari, B., and Mottram, J. T. ‘Robustness of Simple Joints in Pultruded FRP Frames, ‘Research Journal of The Institution of Structural Engineers, (2015), DOI: 10.1016/j.istruc.2015.03.007
- Zafari, B. and Mottram, J. T. ‘Characterization by Full-Size Testing of Pultruded Frame Joints for the Startlink House,’ Journal of Composites for Construction, 19(1), (2015) - 04014033.
- Zafari, B. and Mottram, J. T. (2012). 'Effect of Hot-Wet Aging on the Pin-Bearing Strength of a Pultruded Material with Polyester Matrix.' J. Compos. Constr., 16(3), 340–352.
- Mottram, J. T. and Zafari, B. (2011). 'Pin-Bearing Strengths for Design of Bolted Connections in Pultruded Structures,'.Structures and Buildings, 164, 291-305. Issue SB5
- Zafari B. and Mottram, J.T., (peer-reviewed).‘Effect of orientation on the pin-bearing strength for bolted connections in bolted joints’, in Proc. 6th Inter. Conf. on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering (CICE 2012), Rome, Section 14: Codes and Design Guidelines, Paper 209, 2012, pp. 8 (CD-Rom)
- Zafari, B. Effect of Hot-Wet Aging on the Pin-Bearing Strength of Pultruded Materials (No 5 in final ranking). Young Researchers Poster Competition at the 5th International Conference on Advanced Composites in Construction (ACIC 2011), Coventry (Warwick University), 6-8 Sep.
- Zafari, B. and Mottram, J.T., (peer-reviewed). ‘Strength of fibre reinforced polymer dowel connections for the Startlink house,’ in Proc. 5th Inter. Conf. on Advanced Composites in Construction, NetComposites Ltd., Chesterfield, UK, 2011, 342-354.
- Zafari, B. and Mottram, J.T., (peer-reviewed). ‘Pin-bearing strengths for the design of bolted connections with pultruded material,’ in Proc. 5th Inter. Conf. on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering (CICE 2010), Vol. 1., FRP for Future Structures, Advances in FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University Press, 2010, 99-102.
School of Engineering
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
B dot Zafari at warwick dot ac dot uk