Dr Manh Hong Duong
Teaching Responsibilities 2015/16:
Coming/recent events: I will be giving a talk at the following conferences/seminars.
- Vietnam Institute for Advanced Study in Mathematics, June 2017
- School of Computing, Teesside University, February 2017
- IMC problem-solving seminar for undergraduates. I will be an instructor for Warwick's
team for the International Mathematical Competition for University Students 2017.
- Warwick Agents and Games in Economic Research, University of Warwick, February 2017.
- Department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences, TU Eindhoven. Workshop, January 2017.
Short CV (my full CV)
10/2014 - present: Research Fellow at the Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick
10/2010 - 9/2014: Marie Curie Phd Fellowship at the University of Bath and the Eindhoven University of Technology (Cum laude)
8/2008 - 8/2010: Master of Science at the Eindhoven University of Technology and the University of Kaiserslautern (Cum laude)
8/2006 - 8/2008: Junior researcher at the Department of Mathematical Foundation of Computer Science, Hanoi Institute of Mathematics,
Vietnamese Academy of Science and Technology
9/2001-6/2006: Bachelor of Science at the Hanoi University of Technology and Science (Distinction)
A central focus of my research is to better understand macroscopic properties of complex systems from their microscopic constituents. Three aspects of this subject are:
- Interplay between particle systems, large deviations theory and macroscopic PDEs,
- Coarse graining of atomistic models for materials defects,
- Collective behaviour in biological systems and evolutionary games.
Most of my publications have strong links to applications in molecular dynamics, material sciences and biological systems. My research combines methodology from various fields such as nonlinear partial differential equations, calculus of variations, large-deviation principle and random polynomials theory.
. Manh Hong Duong, Hoang Minh Tran and The Anh Han. On the distribution of the number of internal equilibria in random evolutionary games with correlated payoff matrix
. Manh Hong Duong and Julian Tugaut. The Vlasov-Fokker-Planck equation in non-convex landscapes: convergence to equilibrium.
. Manh Hong Duong and Hoang Minh Tran. On the fundamental solution and a variational formulation of a degenerate diffusion of Kolmogorov type. Submitted, 2017.
. Joep H.M. Evers, Iason A. Zisis, Bas J. van der Linden and Manh Hong Duong. Recent results in the systematic derivation and convergence of SPH. Submitted, 2016.
. Matthew Dobson, Manh Hong Duong and Christoph Ortner. On assessing the accuracy of defect free energy computations. Submitted, 2016.
Published or forthcoming articles
. Joep H.M. Evers, Iason A. Zisis, Bas J. van der Linden, Manh Hong Duong. From continuum mechanics to SPH particle systems and back: Systematic derivation and convergence. To appear in ZAMM-Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 2017.
. Manh Hong Duong and Minh Hoang Tran. Analysis of the mean squared derivative cost functions. Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, DOI: 10.1002/mma.4382, 2017 (Online first).
. Manh Hong Duong, Adrian Muntean and Omar Richardson. Discrete and continuum links to a nonlinear coupled transport problem of interacting populations. The European Physical Journal Special Topics, Volume 226, Issue 10, pp 2345–2357, 2017.
. Manh Hong Duong, Agnes Lamacz, Mark A.Peletier, and Upanshu Sharma. Variational approach to coarse-graining of generalized gradient flows.
Calculus of Variations and Partial Differential Equations, 56 (4), 56:100, 2017.
. Manh Hong Duong, The Anh Han. Analysis of the expected density of internal equilibria in random evolutionary multi-player multi-strategy games.
Journal of Mathematical Biology, 73(6), 1727-1760, 2016.
. Manh Hong Duong, Julian Tugaut. Stationary solutions of the Vlasov-Fokker-Planck equation: existence, characterization and phase-transition.
Applied Mathematics Letters, Volume 52, Pages 38–45, February 2016.
. Manh Hong Duong. Non-equilibrium thermodynamics of damped Timoshenko and damped Bresse systems.
Nonlinear Phenomena in Complex Systems, Volume 18, Number 4, Page 410-428, 2015.
. Manh Hong Duong. Comparison and maximum principles for a class of flux-limited diffusions with external force fields.
Advances in Nonlinear Analysis. DOI: 10.1515/anona-2015-0112, November 2015 (Online first)
. Manh Hong Duong. Formulation of the relativistic heat equation and the relativistic kinetic Fokker-Planck equation using GENERIC.
Physica A, Volume 439, Pages 34–43, December 2015.
. Manh Hong Duong. Long time behaviour and particle approximation of a generalised Vlasov dynamic.
Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications, Vol. 127, Pages 1-16, November 2015.
. Manh Hong Duong, The Anh Han. On the expected number of equilibria in a multi-player multi-strategy evolutionary game.
Dynamic Games and Applications, Volume 6, Issue 3, Pages 324-346, 2016..
. Manh Hong Duong, Max Fathi. The two-scale approach to hydrodynamic limits for non-reversible dynamics.
Markov Processes and Related Fields, Volume 22, Issue 1, 1-36, 2016.
. Manh Hong Duong. Asymptotic equivalence of the discrete variational functional and a rate-large-deviation-like functional in the Wasserstein gradient flow of the porous medium equation.
Asymptotic Analysis, 92(1-2), 85-106, 2015.
. Kiamars Vafayi, Manh Hong Duong. Weakly non-equilibrium properties of symmetric inclusion process with open boundaries.
Physical Review E 90, 052143, 2014.
. Manh Hong Duong, Mark A.Peletier, Johannes Zimmer. Conservative-dissipative approximation schemes for ageneralized Kramers equation.
Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, 37(16), 2517–2540, 2014.
. Manh Hong Duong, Vaios Laschos, Michiel Renger. Wasserstein gradient flows from large deviations of thermodynamic limits.
ESAIM: Control, Optimisation and Calculus of Variations, 19(4), 1166-1188, 2013. Erratum (to appear)
. Manh Hong Duong, Mark A.Peletier, Johannes Zimmer. GENERIC formalism of a Vlasov-Fokker-Planck equationand connection to Large Deviation Principle.
Nonlinearity 26, 2951-2971, 2013. This paper has been selected by the journal for ‘2013 Highlights Collection’.
Proceedings and technical reports
. Joep H.M. Evers, Iason A. Zisis, Bas J. van der Linden, Manh Hong Duong. Recent results in the systematic derivation and convergence of SPH.
Proceedings of 11th International SPHERIC (SPHERIC 2016) Workshop at Technische Universität München, June 2016.
Iason Zisis has won the Libersky Student Prize for this paper and his accompanying presentation at the 2016 SPHERIC workshop.
. Mark Peletier, Manh Hong Duong, Upanshu Sharma. Coarse-graining and fluctuations: Two birds with one stone.
Oberwolfach report of the workshop Material Theories, OWR 2013/59, 2013
. Ted van der Aalst, Dee Denteneer, Hanna Doering, Manh Hong Duong, Ross J. Kang, Mike Keane, Janne Kool,Ivan Kryven, Thomas Meyfroyt, Tobias Mueller, Guus Regts and Jakub Tomczyk. Random disc thrower problem.
Proceedings of the 90th European Study Group Mathematics with Industry, 2013.
. Vaios Laschos, Manh Hong Duong, Michiel Renger. Wasserstein gradient flows from large deviations of thermodynamic limits.
Oberwolfach report of the workshop Interplay of Analysis and Probability in Physics, OWR, 2012/06, 2012.
. Manh Hong Duong. Finite-time blow-up and variational approximation scheme for a Wigner-Fokker-Planck equation with a nonlocal perturbation.
CASA-Eindhoven University of Technology Report, No. 13-13, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, 2013
. Sylvestre Burgos, Manh Hong Duong, Laura Friis Frølich, Daniel Høyer Iversen, Bogna Pawlowska, Matthias Voigt, Mikalai Zhudro.
How to enhance the exploratory power of Qlucore Omics Explorer?
The 23rd ECMI Modelling Week on Mathematical Modelling in Industrial and Commerce, Wroclaw University of Technology, 2009.
- Manh Hong Duong. Large deviation and variational approaches to generalized gradient flows. PhD thesis. Eindhoven University of Technology, 2014.
- Manh Hong Duong. Numerical differentiation on irregular gridsusing finite pointset methods. Master thesis. Kaiserslautern University of Technology and Eindhoven University of Technology, 2010.
- Manh Hong Duong. On the Multiplicity Conjecture of Herzog, Huneke and Srinivasan. Bachelor thesis (in Vietnamese), Hanoi University of Science and Technology, June 2006.
- Manh Hong Duong. Lecture notes "Fundamental inequalities: techniques and applications" for mini-course taught for Warwick's team to participate in the International Mathematical Competition for University Students, Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick, 2015/2016.
- Manh Hong Duong. Lecture notes "Theory of Partial Differential Equations" for the module MA3G1 taught at Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick, 2015/2016.
- Manh Hong Duong. Lecture notes "Large deviation and variational approaches to generalized gradient flows". Mini-course at Hanoi Institute of Mathematics, June 2015.
Popular Science (in Vietnamese)
- Manh Hong Duong. About Abel prizes 2008. Bulletin of Vietnam mathematical society, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2008
- Manh Hong Duong and Pham Tra An. The international mathematical Olympiad. Bulletin of Vietnam mathematical society, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2007
- Pham Tra An, Manh Hong Duong, Tran Thi Thu Huong, Tran Van Thanh. News on international mathematical activities. Bulletin of Vietnam mathematical society, 2006-2010
For other activities, see my personal homepage