COW seminarCambridge, Oxford or Warwick. Meetings, of which there are several every term, are now also regularly held in Bath and London (Imperial College) and occasionally in other places.
The COW seminar is funded by the London Mathematical Society. The funds are held at Bath. To claim your travel expenses you have to fill in a Bath travel claim form (the word COW should appear prominently) and post it to Finance Secretary, Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY.
Next meetingOxford, Thursday 9th March 2017
1:30 Jared Ongaro (Nairobi), conversation about developing algebraic geometry in Kenya
2:30 Barbara Bolognese (Sheffield): Strange duality on abelian surfaces
4:00 Davesh Maulik (MIT): Gopakumar-Vafa invariants via vanishing cycles
The talks will be in rooms L4 (Ongaro, Bolognese) and L2 (Maulik) of the Andrew Wiles Building.
||Social programme The preferred pub in Oxford is the Eagle and Child, but a decision about where to go will be made on the day by those present.|
Future meetingsNo further meetings are planned yet, but they will be soon.
Sources of information
Details of COW activities are usually circulated by e-mail. UK
mathematicians, including research students, interested in algebraic
geometry in the wide sense may (and probably should) subscribe to the
mailing lists. To do so, you go to
and follow the instructions there.
- The erstwhile European algebraic geometry network EAGER still exists in the form of a useful electronic mailing list called eager-gen, which you may wish to join.
- The London topology and geometry seminar also runs a mailing list. To join it, email "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A vital resource for all geometers is the e-print server arXiv. For algebraic geometry math.AG is the most important category but some other categories are also relevant.
- Links to future events and related algebraic geometry sites are collected at a central location.
- The northern equivalent of COW is GLEN, which meets in Glasgow, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Newcastle. The midlands equivalent of COW is EmSG, which meets in Nottingham, Loughborough, Leicester and Sheffield. Do not be confused by one of the COW's LMS official supporters being at Loughborough, nor by EmSG's webpage being in Sydney.
- A more local but even less specific seminar is the London Topology and Geometry Seminar, also known as G&T.
- The Calf is a seminar organised by and for graduate students in geometry.
Bath, Thursday 17th November 2016
2:30 Nathan Broomhead (Plymouth): Thick subcategories, arc-collections and mutation
4:15 Liana Heuberger (London): Del Pezzo surfaces with 1/3(1,1) singularities
5:15 Enrico Fatighenti (Warwick): Grassmannians and surfaces of general type
Historic COWs: 1995-96; 1996-97; 1997-98; 1998-99; 1999-2000; 2000-01; 2001-02; 2002-03; 2003-04; 2004-05; 2005-06; 2006-07; 2007-08; 2008-09; 2009-10; 2010-11; 2011-12; 2012-13; 2013-14; 2014-15; 2015-16.
The drawing of the cow at the top of this page was created by Sketch the Cow (email@example.com).
We are sorry if you thought this page was going to be really about cows and were disappointed.
The content of this page is drawn directly from the COW website.