About my project
My project involves studying the organization of divisome components, primarily FtsZ - a key conserved protein mediating bacterial cell division - using computational methods including molecular dynamics simulations.
Towards G-Quadruplex Selective Platinum(II) Complexes (Aug 2013 - May 2014)
- Honours research project.
- Grade 1.
Microbial encapsulation (Dec 2012 - Mar 2013).
- Summer internship.
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), North Ryde.
Characterisation of potential drug delivery smart polymers by capillary electrophoresis (Jul - Oct 2012)
- Investigation into the separation of various polyacrylic acid polymers by branching. Results published.
Isolation and purification of a natural product (Mar - Jun 2012)
- Isolated and purified andrographolide from the andrographis paniculata plant then synthesized the sulfonate derivative.
Synthesis of multidentate ligands for fluorescent lanthanide complexes (Jan - Mar 2012)
- Summer research scholarship.
- Successfully synthesized a tripodal ligand and europium complex. Fluorescent characteristics were investigated.
Derivatisation of coomassie G-250 blue dye (Dec 2011)
- Investigating the potential to derivatise the dye for improved cellular staining applications.
Synthesis of α,β-unsaturated isocyanoindoles for biological applications (Jul - Oct 2011)
- Successfully synthesized various indole derivatives using Horner-Wadsworth-Emmons coupling reactions. The products were used in biological testing.
Electroreduction of hexachlorobenzene (Mar - Jun 2011)
- Successfully used cyclic voltammetry to determine the effectiveness of several homogeneous catalysts on the reduction of hexachlorobenzene and pentachloromethoxybenzene to benzene.
Scholarships and Awards
University Medal (Apr 2015), University of Western Sydney.
Ellice Swinbourne Prize for Excellence in Chemistry (Oct 2014), University of Western Sydney.
Dean’s Medal (Jun 2014), University of Western Sydney.
Honours Scholarship (Jan 2014), University of Western Sydney.
Winter School scholarship (June 2013), Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE), Lucas Heights.
Summer Internship (Dec 2012 – Mar 2013), Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), North Ryde.
Summer Research Scholarship (Jan 2012 – Mar 2012), School of Science and Health, University of Western Sydney.
Ang, D. L.; Harper, B. W., Cubo L.; Mendoza O.; Vilar R.; Aldrich-Wright J.; (2016) Quadruplex DNA-Stabilising Dinulear Platinum(II) Terpyridine Complexes with Flexible Linkers. Chemistry A European Journal, 2016, 22, 2317-2325. DOI: 10.1002/chem.201503663. (IF: 5.731, Citations= 0). Back cover.
Ang, D. L.; Jones, N. C.; Stootman, F.; Ghadirian, B.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R., (2015) Improved DNA Equilibrium Binding Affinity Determinations of Platinum(II) Complexes using Synchrotron Radiation Circular Dichroism. Analyst, 2015. DOI: 10.1039/C5AN00066A. (IF: 3.906, Citations = 0).
Pages, B.; Ang, D. L.; Wright, E.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R., (2014) Metal Complex Interactions with DNA. Dalton Transactions, 2014, 44, 3505-3526. DOI: 10.1039/C4DT02700K. (IF: 4.097, Citations = 1). Inside cover.
Pages, B.; Li, F.; Wormell, P.; Ang, D. L.; Clegg, J.; Kepert, C.; Spare, L.; Supawich Danchaiwijit, S.; Aldrich-Wright, J., (2014) Synthesis and analysis of the anticancer activity of platinum(II) complexes incorporating dipyridoquinoxaline variants. Dalton Transactions, 2014, 43, 15566-15575. DOI: 10.1039/C4DT02133A. (IF: 4.097, Citations = 1).
Maniego, A.; Ang, D.; Guillaneuf, Y.; Lefay, C.; Gigmes, D.; Aldrich-Wright, J.; Gaborieau, M.; Castignolles, P., (2013) Separation of poly(acrylic acid) salts according to the topology using capillary electrophoresis in the critical conditions. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Special Issue, June, 1-12, 405 (28), 9009-9020. DOI: 10.1007/s00216-013-7059-y (IF: 3.659, Citations = 6).