I take support classes for the module Maths for Scientists, twice a week. This page contains a couple of links which I think are usfull for people taking this module.
Times & Location:
- Group 1: Thursday, 14:00, P520B.
- Group 2: Friday, 10:00, P520B.
These are the books that I use whenever I'm stuck on a bit of Math. They are generally texts from first year Mathematics courses, so they may go into too much detail...
- Vector Analysis and Cartesian Tensors. Bourne and Kendall
Anything to do with vectors and/or co-ordinate systems will be in here.
- Guide to Analysis. Hart
Core book for 1st year Maths - everyting you'll ever want or need to know about series, limits etc. is here.
- Guide to Linear Algebra. Towers
Full of examples (as well as the full proofs, if you're interested) of how to find determinants & inverses of matrices, and how to use that to do something usefull - such as solving systems of linear equations.
- Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems. Boyce and DiPrima
Contains just about every trick for solving ODE's know to man/woman.
- Partial Differential Equations. Strauss
This ones a bit heavy going, It's only on the list for completeness.