- National Employers Skills Survey for England 2009 (LSC, 2010)
- Institute of the Motor Industry: Scottish sector profile 2009 (Alliance of Sector Skills Council, 2009)
- UK Employment and Skills Almanac 2009 (UKCES, 2009)
- Working Futures 2007-2017 (Wilson, Homenidou and Gambin, 2008)
- Sector Skills Agreement Stage 1 – Skills Needs Assessment Reports: UK; Scotland; England; Wales; Northern Ireland (Automotivate, 2006a)
- Sector Skills Agreement Stage 2 – Assessment of Current Provision. Reports: UK; Scotland; Wales; Northern Ireland; England (Automotivate, 2006b)
- Sector Skills Agreement Stage 3 – Gaps Analysis and Market Testing. Reports: UK; Scotland; Wales; England; Northern Ireland Automotivate (2006c)
- Automotive Skills 2005 Sector Skills Survey (Future Skills Wales, 2005)
The Institute of the Motor Industry publications
- IMI AACS LMI report (2010)
- Workforce Profile (2009)
- Automotive Retail Sector – Quarterly Report (2009)
- Skills priorities for the automotive retail sector – UK (2009)
- Working Futures 2007-2017: Employment forecasts and principal skills requirements (2009)
- An automotive sector perspective on the UK nations Employer Skills Survey (2009)
Careers information websites and resources
The Institute of the Motor Industry careers – This website focuses on careers in the automotive retail sector. It includes information on career opportunities, case studies, links to job vacancies and employers, together with information on sector courses. Careers resources and products are listed on this careers portal. See for example, AutoCity an interactive, game-based CD-ROM which enables the user to visit employers in a virtual cityscape.
Career Driven – This magazine is published by The Independent in partnership with Automotive Skills twice annually and gives an insight into the motoring lifestyle as well as careers in the automotive retail industry.
Careersbox is a national careers film library, which is free to access. Films of real people doing real jobs in the automotive sector.
Useful general websites
IMI – The Institute of the Motor Industry is the Sector Skills Council for the retail motor industry. The website contains extensive information on careers in the sector, relevant qualifications and training, courses and data on how the sector is represented in the UK.
British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA) – A professional association supporting the rental and leasing sector.
Retail Motor Industry Federation – The Retail Motor Industry Federation (RMIF) is the trade association for the retail motor industry, with a membership covering thousands of businesses operating in the automotive retail sector.
Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Limited (SMMT) – SMMT represents the automotive industry at a national, European and global level across a range of issues from environment, legislation, safety and security, through to education and the economy. The website contains news, policy and legislative information on the sector.