- 83% of firms employ no women outside of administrative roles. Those that do, only employ a small percentage.
- There are opportunities to utilise female staff to visit clients from vulnerable or ethnic groups who would be uncomfortable with a male operative.
- 17% of firms have employees from ethnic minority groups working in technical roles.
- Only 17% of firms stated they employ migrant workers at present.
- 80% of employers need their craft workforce to be trained to Level 3.
- 47% undertake training of management and supervisory staff.
- 70% felt there was a need for technician training at National and Higher National Certificate level.
- Northern Ireland employers are responding well to new IT which shows considerable commitment, with varying degrees of expertise amongst staff.
- The Northern Ireland Executive is spending £59 million over the next two years to develop and implement renewable energy in the country and specifically within new dwellings.
Source: The dawn of a new era for building services engineering skills Sector Skills Agreement Northern Ireland final report 2008 and Skills Priorities and Challenges for the Building Services Engineering Sector in Northern Ireland 2010