The East of England has over 251,000 employees working in freight logistics roles, in 20,700 workplaces. This equates to 9% of the regional employment and 9% of the regional workplaces.
41% of the workforce is employed within the wholesale sub-sector, 15% in freight transport by road, 15% in national post activities and a further 9% within other transport agencies.
Occupational profile of the region’s workforce:
- 42,800 in other goods handling and storage (such as warehouse operatives)
- 35,900 LGV drivers
- 23,500 post workers, mail sorter, messenger or couriers
- 19,600 van drivers
- 10,400 transport and distribution managers
- 7,200 storage and warehouse managers
- 5,600 transport and distribution clerks
- 105,900 in other occupations
Source: East of England Logistics Factsheet 2009