London has over 234,100 employees working in freight logistics roles, in 27,100 workplaces. This equates to 6% of the regional employment and 7% of the regional workplaces.
42% of the workforce is employed within the wholesale sub-sector, 15% in national post activities, 12% in other transport agencies (such as freight forwarders) and a further 10% in other supporting air transport activities.
Occupational profile of the region’s workforce:
- 25,000 post workers, mail sorter, messenger or couriers
- 24,500 in other goods handling and storage (such as warehouse operatives)
- 22,000 van drivers
- 14,000 LGV drivers
- 7,800 transport and distribution managers
- 7,800 transport and distribution clerks
- 6,700 storage and warehouse managers
- 126,300 in other occupations
Source: London Logistics Factsheet 2009