Data analysis and interpretation. Writing your report
- How do you plan to organise materially the treatment and the interpretation of the data you will have collected?
- When you interpret, do you always follow the point of view expressed by the respondent (interviews), the participant (focus group) or the author/speaker (archives, press)? If not, how do you depart from it?
- Do you plan to discuss your interpretation with your respondents, participants or authors?
- How do you plan to share your documentation and data between main report, notes and appendices?
- Alan Bryman Social Research Methods, 3rd edition, Oxford University Press, 2008, chapters 22 and 23.
- Bob Matthews and Liz Ross Research Methods: A Practical Guide for the Social Sciences, Pearson, 2010, chapters D1, D2, D9, D10
- Roger Pierce, Research Methods in Politics: a practical guide, Sage, 2008, chapter 17.
- Mats Alvesson, Postmodernism and Social Research. Open University Press, 2002, ch. 7.
- Katherine Borland, ‘“That’s Not What I Said”: Interpretive Conflict in Oral Narrative Research’, in Sherna Berger Gluck and Daphne Patai (eds.), Women’s Words: The Feminist Practice of Oral History. Routledge, 1991, pp. 63-75.
- Alan Bryman et al. (eds.), Analyzing Qualitative Data. Routledge, 1994.
- A Coffey and P Atkinson, Making Sense of Qualitative Data: Complementary Research Strategies. Sage, 1996.
- Norman Denzin and Yvonna Lincoln (eds.), Collecting and Interpreting Qualitative Materials. Sage, 2003.
- Ian Dey, Qualitative Data Analysis: A User-Friendly Guide for Social Scientists. Routledge, 1993.
- Kristin G Esterberg, Qualitative Methods in Social Research. McGraw-Hill, 2002, chs. 8 and 9.
- Douglas Ezzy, Qualitative Analysis: Practice and Innovation. Routledge, 2002.
- Stephen Frosh and Peter D Emerson, ‘Interpretation and Over-Interpretation: Disputing the Meaning of Texts’, Qualitative Research, 5(3), 2005, pp. 307-324.
- D Hobbs and T May (eds.), Interpreting the Field: Accounts of Ethnography. Clarendon Press, 1993.
- Matthew B Miles and A Michael Huberman, Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook. Sage, 1994.
- Blake Poland and Ann Pederson, ‘ Reading Between the Lines: Interpreting Silences in Qualitative Research’, Qualitative Inquiry, 4(2), 1998, pp. 293-312.
- Timothy John Rapley, ‘The Art(fulness) of Open-Ended Interviewing: Some Considerations on Analysing Interviews’, Qualitative Research, 1(3), 2001, pp. 303-323.
- Judith Riley, Getting the Most from Your Data: A Handbook of Practical Ideas on How to Analyse Qualitative Data. Technical and Educational Services, 1990.
- Kathryn Roulston, ‘Data Analysis and “Theorizing as Ideology”’, Qualitative Research, 1(3), 2001, pp. 279-302.
- David Silverman, Interpreting Qualitative Data: Methods for Analysing Talk, Text and Interaction. Sage, 2001.
- David Silverman, Doing Qualitative Research: A Practical Handbook. Sage, 2005, 2nd edn., part 3.
- Anselm L. Strauss, Qualitative Analysis for Social Scientists. Cambridge University Press, 1987.
- Bogusia Temple and Alys Young, ‘Qualitative Research and Translation Dilemmas’, Qualitative Research, 4(2), 2004, pp. 161-178.
- Renata Tesch, Qualitative Research: Analysis Types and Software Tools. Harvester Wheatsheat, 1990
- Harry Wolcott, Writing Up Qualitative Research. Sage, 1990.
- Harry Wolcott, Transforming Qualitative Data: Description, Analysis, and Interpretation. Sage, 1994.
Qualitative data analysis using computers
- Patricia Bazeley and Lyn Richards, The NVivo Qualitative Project Book. Sage, 2000.
- Joy D Bringer, Lynne H Johnston and Celia H Brackenridge, ‘Maximizing Transparency in a Doctoral Thesis: The Complexities of Writing about the Use of QSR*NVIVO within a Grounded Theory Study’, Qualitative Research, 4(2), 2004, pp. 247-265.
- N Fielding and R Lee (eds.), Using Computers in Qualitative Research. Sage, 1991.
- Celia Gahan and Mike Hannibal, Doing Qualitative Research Using QSR NUDIST. Sage, 1998.
- Graham R Gibbs, Qualitative Data Analysis: Explorations with NVivo. Open University Press, 2002.
- Udo Kelle, Gerald Prein and Katherine Bird (eds.), Computer-Aided Qualitative Data Analysis: Theory, Methods and Practice. Sage, 1995.
- Anna Weaver and Paul Atkinson, Microcomputing and Qualitative Data Analysis. Avebury, 1994.
- Eben A Weitzman and Matthew B Miles, Computer Programs for Qualitative Data Analysis: A Software Sourcebook. Sage, 1995.
You do not have permission to access the remote content.