Skip to main content

Move from HMS Anderson sigint site to Perkar on Ceylon

Anderson

After independence in 1948, the British government had been permitted a range of continued base rights by the Ceylonese Government. This included HMS Anderson (above) a large sigint station which had been developed during the Second World War. The Government of Ceylon were not told of its true purpose and believed that it was merely a communications relay station. In the early 1950s, the government of Ceylon asked for this base to be relocated because the site was needed for urban development. A new site at Perkar on Ceylon was selected and developed. However, after the Suez Crisis of 1956, the Government of Ceylon requested the removal of all British bases. Therefore Perkar was only occupied for about five years.